Reload this Page >

Lugo, Galicia????

Lugo, Galicia????

Old May 10th 2010, 2:09 pm
Account Closed

Fleurette is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Lugo, Galicia????

Hi all,
I've half been offered a job in Lugo, which seems ok so far, although nothing concrete as of yet.
However, I;ve been trying to see what I can do about studying Spanish also.
From what I can see there are squat all schools for foreigners learning Spanish (whereas in bigger cities there are countless, all costing an arm and a leg).
My possible new job told me they can give me the number of a teacher they know and that they would pay half of my fees.

I know the univ de santiago de compostela does spanish for foreigners and has a campus in Lugo, however they only seem to accept Erasmus/Tempus students and not randomers wanted to randomly study for a year or 2, plus the classes are evening only which is when Id be working.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? The point of me joining a school would be to meet new people apart from work colleagues.

Whats the place like anyway?? Theres very little info on it apart from its wall!
Ive been in touch with some people on www.couchsurfing.org who have all given me positive info, but very little on schools.

Thanks! Fleurette.
Old May 10th 2010, 3:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lugo, Galicia????

Originally Posted by Fleurette
Hi all,
I've half been offered a job in Lugo, which seems ok so far, although nothing concrete as of yet.
From what I can see there are squat all schools for foreigners learning Spanish (whereas in bigger cities there are countless, all costing an arm and a leg).
My possible new job told me they can give me the number of a teacher they know and that they would pay half of my fees.

I know the univ de santiago de compostela does spanish for foreigners and has a campus in Lugo, however they only seem to accept Erasmus/Tempus students and not randomers wanted to randomly study for a year or 2, plus the classes are evening only which is when Id be working.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? The point of me joining a school would be to meet new people apart from work colleagues.

Whats the place like anyway?? Theres very little info on it apart from its wall!
Ive been in touch with some people on www.couchsurfing.org who have all given me positive info, but very little on schools.

Thanks! Fleurette.
Hi Fleurette

Wow you've found a job in Lugo, I am impressed Even more so that the job will be English, incredible!

Lugo is a small city that I remember reading it is the cheapest place to live in Spain. It is slap bang in the middle of Galicia a 100km from the beautiful Galician cost and the bigger Galician cities.

Maybe some other posters can confirm, but I should think they speak Gallego in Lugo rather than Spanish (although it is quite similar). I'm not surprised there are no Spanish schools, it is not a tourist destination for foreigners. I would think your best bet would be one-to-one teaching.

However, there are a splattering of British people amoung the countryside who have reformed the old Galician country houses, including one or two posters here I believe.

I've not been there myself, so other people can fill you in on that

Good luck!
Old May 10th 2010, 4:15 pm

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Fleurette.

I'm a close neighbour in Asturias.

My husband had a similar offer through his company...they "paid" half of the cost of his one-on-one spanish lessons with a teacher they recommended.

I have put paid in brackets because it turned out that the company didn't actually pay it but was re-imbursed by the government ...well something like that.

I am not entirely sure of the full facts but it is worth double checking on whether you can use another teacher or language school. The company may just prefer to use a particular teacher.

With my hubby after a while, he found out that he could use another teacher but had to be registered with the authorities (probably autonomo ??).

It wouldn't hurt to start off with the teacher they recommend and then find out what the options are after a while.

Hope the new job works out !!
Old May 10th 2010, 7:10 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Hi Fleurette

Wow you've found a job in Lugo, I am impressed Even more so that the job will be English, incredible!

Lugo is a small city that I remember reading it is the cheapest place to live in Spain. It is slap bang in the middle of Galicia a 100km from the beautiful Galician cost and the bigger Galician cities.

Maybe some other posters can confirm, but I should think they speak Gallego in Lugo rather than Spanish (although it is quite similar). I'm not surprised there are no Spanish schools, it is not a tourist destination for foreigners. I would think your best bet would be one-to-one teaching.

However, there are a splattering of British people amoung the countryside who have reformed the old Galician country houses, including one or two posters here I believe.

I've not been there myself, so other people can fill you in on that

Good luck!
I am not to sure about Lugo, but the most common language is castellano in Galicia.

Even in the rural places (if it is anything like Coruna) everyone will speak to you in Castellano.

I can understand quite a bit of Galego, but cannot really hold a long conversation. But everyone makes allowances for my lack of language.

I am sure that you will find a private academy where you can learn Spanish, alos I am sure that you will also find a lot of people willling to teach for for like for like English lessons.

Good luch and take your brolly summer is on the way
Old May 10th 2010, 11:13 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleurette
Hi all,

Thanks! Fleurette.

It is late now and I am about to hit the sack...Living just one hour away from the city I can hopefully tell you more. PM me with your questions and I will tray and asker them some time over the next day or so.
Old May 11th 2010, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute

This is a link to a local paper - which might help - http://www.lavozdegalicia.com/
Old May 11th 2010, 12:17 pm
Account Closed

Fleurette is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Lugo, Galicia????

Wow, great!
Thanks a lot for your help! I am looking at the online link now. My Spanish is rubbish at the mo, but I can pick up some things.
Well, I don;t actually have the job (yet?!), but they seem eager.. hope it's not just desperation on their part haha!

That;s interesting re the companies getting reimbursed for the Spanish teacher. As long as sh/she is a good teacher it doesnt really matter as it would still work out cheaper for me if they do that.

Thanks again!!!
Fleurette.