Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Lost Passport and Debit Cards

Lost Passport and Debit Cards

Old Sep 18th 2009, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

californiadreamin is just really nicecaliforniadreamin is just really nicecaliforniadreamin is just really nicecaliforniadreamin is just really nicecaliforniadreamin is just really nicecaliforniadreamin is just really nicecaliforniadreamin is just really nicecaliforniadreamin is just really nice
Default Lost Passport and Debit Cards

Hi All,

Just last week I went through the stressful experience of losing or having my wallet stolen in the supermarket. Did the normal stuff like going to my bank and having all my debit cards cancelled and reporting what happened and having my accounts blocked. Also filled out a police report as well but the worst thing, is that I also lost my passport and SIP card as well. I`ve now cancelled my UK passport with the embassy here in Spain as well.

My only concern now, is that if my passport fell into the hands of a thief that specializes in identity theft that they could open up new accounts in my name and even worse apply for loans or credit cards.

Is there a central credit agency in Spain that I could put an alert with, to stop any future fraud that could be carried out in my name?
Old Sep 18th 2009, 7:54 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lost Passport and Debit Cards

Hi

Don't just think Spain - think England as well - make sure you cancel there too; and why not try the British Consulate - they are excellent in times of troubles

Dave
Old Sep 18th 2009, 7:55 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

You've done everything you need to do, I can't think of anything else. If someone tried to steal your identity now, it would be picked up by the various agencies concerned. I may be wrong, but I don't think there's a central agency for your concerns. I would carefully retain all the documentation relating to the theft of your property, especially the police report.
Old Sep 18th 2009, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

californiadreamin is just really nicecaliforniadreamin is just really nicecaliforniadreamin is just really nicecaliforniadreamin is just really nicecaliforniadreamin is just really nicecaliforniadreamin is just really nicecaliforniadreamin is just really nicecaliforniadreamin is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi

Don't just think Spain - think England as well - make sure you cancel there too; and why not try the British Consulate - they are excellent in times of troubles

Dave
Forgot to mention that, I also informed my UK bank as well.
Old Sep 18th 2009, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HBG
You've done everything you need to do, I can't think of anything else. If someone tried to steal your identity now, it would be picked up by the various agencies concerned. I may be wrong, but I don't think there's a central agency for your concerns. I would carefully retain all the documentation relating to the theft of your property, especially the police report.
Now that my stolen passport is cancelled, I hope that anybody applying for something in my name with the stolen passport would not be able to do so. I hope credit agencies check the current validity of these documents.

As you said above, proof of the theft with the police report, along with the cancelling of it with the UK embassy I hope should be sufficient.

It`s just that identity theft is a big thing these days and to hear that people can create identities with just details from old bank accounts and the like that have been thrown into rubbish bins, makes it a worry when something like a passport can be had.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 5:26 am
Forum Regular

gill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond repute

personally I would never carry my passport, if you go to any solicitor and ask for a notarised copy it will only cost approx. 10 euros. They take a photo copy and the notary stamps it. Everyone including the police accept this and it is easier to carry an A4 piece of paper than a passport. If you are unlucky enough to lose it then you just get another copy. Saves all the problems of getting a replacement passport.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 6:58 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gill556
personally I would never carry my passport, if you go to any solicitor and ask for a notarised copy it will only cost approx. 10 euros. They take a photo copy and the notary stamps it. Everyone including the police accept this and it is easier to carry an A4 piece of paper than a passport. If you are unlucky enough to lose it then you just get another copy. Saves all the problems of getting a replacement passport.
The police can ask for ID and if you do not carry your passport you can be legally detained until some kind person takes it to the police station.
I always carry mine when I leave the house. ;-))
Old Sep 19th 2009, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

gill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond repute

a notarised copy is a legal ID, the only time it won´t be accepted is when buying or selling property. Saves the problem of having to apply for a new passport if lost or stolen.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 12:35 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gill556
a notarised copy is a legal ID, the only time it won´t be accepted is when buying or selling property. Saves the problem of having to apply for a new passport if lost or stolen.
Maybe you should tell the Guardia and the British Embassy, they advise always carry your passport in a foreign country. ;-))
Old Sep 20th 2009, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

jo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to behold

I certainly don't carry my passport around, much to risky especially if you go shopping in the markets, I always show my Spanish driving license which has all of the info necessary and I have always found it acceptable. If only we could still have the ID card.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 7:35 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by jo-ann
I certainly don't carry my passport around, much to risky especially if you go shopping in the markets, I always show my Spanish driving license which has all of the info necessary and I have always found it acceptable. If only we could still have the ID card.
That is true, at least they know you live in Spain. ;-))
Old Sep 20th 2009, 10:25 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I had laminated photocopies of all my important documents which I carried around with me with the originals at home, having once lost my wallet, luckily found where it had been lost and returned within an hour, I found that no questioned the photocopies, but if I knew I would need the documents, like at a bank, then I took the originals.