Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

lost my sky signal?????

lost my sky signal?????

Old Jan 27th 2007, 6:06 pm
barxeta bliss,ohhhh

patsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud of
Default lost my sky signal?????

bloomin heck wasnt the weather bad yesterday.... got up this morning , put tv on was okay, had a power cut at 11.30am till 4pm and sky isnt working on tv.. by the look of it its not holding the signal,mmm, any ideas anybody,had to watch a kathreen tate dvd and its driving me nuts, thanks,pat
by the way have turned off tv and pulled plug from the wall for about 10 mins and still nothing, we have left the tv for about 2 hours now and zilch
Old Jan 27th 2007, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

maryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: lost my sky signal?????

gp out and eat some tapas and get merry on sherry.....then you wont care about cold and no TV!

hope you fix it soon

love

mary x
Old Jan 27th 2007, 6:34 pm
barxeta bliss,ohhhh

patsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud of

mm, not a bad idea, going to get my coat now.
Old Jan 27th 2007, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

once you get back re-boot the digi box and check the frequency

if you dont know how to let me know

when our power goes off the frequency sometimes re-sets itself incorrectly and we lose all channels but after re-setting it its fine
Old Jan 27th 2007, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

mitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by patsywhitehair
bloomin heck wasnt the weather bad yesterday.... got up this morning , put tv on was okay, had a power cut at 11.30am till 4pm and sky isnt working on tv.. by the look of it its not holding the signal,mmm, any ideas anybody,had to watch a kathreen tate dvd and its driving me nuts, thanks,pat
by the way have turned off tv and pulled plug from the wall for about 10 mins and still nothing, we have left the tv for about 2 hours now and zilch
My other half suggests if resetting does not work then you could try a software update. To do this unplug at back of reciever and push in back up button on front of reciever plug in reciever with back up still pushed in until you see three lights on the front and a message on the screen "Updating system software do not unplug etc". Usually takes about ten minutes so plenty of time for a cuppa. When you come back to it it will have gone into standbye just switch it back on and see if this works.
Old Jan 27th 2007, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

Sorry Mitzipurr but I have to say don't whatever you do try to do a software upgrade if you are getting no signal as it could well destroy the box irretrievably. If the box has been plugged in permanently it will receive software upgrades as a matter of course even if it is not actually switched on. This procedure is only necessary if it has been switched off and disconnected from the dish for several months.

If you have had high winds and driving rain your dish could well have been blown off beam or you could have got water in the cable where it connects to the LNB. Is this connection protected by self-amalgamating tape (not insulation tape) or by a specially made rubber boot. If not this could well be the problem.

By the way it is the satellite receiver that you need to disconnect from the mains in an attempt to reboot it not the TV. If you have a power cut and do not have a UPS you should disconnect the receiver until the power is back on and stabilised.

This is because it may come back on with a surge or it may go off and on again shortly after power is restored whilst the engineers carry out checks of the line.
Old Jan 27th 2007, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
Sorry Mitzipurr but I have to say don't whatever you do try to do a software upgrade if you are getting no signal as it could well destroy the box irretrievably. If the box has been plugged in permanently it will receive software upgrades as a matter of course even if it is not actually switched on. This procedure is only necessary if it has been switched off and disconnected from the dish for several months.

If you have had high winds and driving rain your dish could well have been blown off beam or you could have got water in the cable where it connects to the LNB. Is this connection protected by self-amalgamating tape (not insulation tape) or by a specially made rubber boot. If not this could well be the problem.

By the way it is the satellite receiver that you need to disconnect from the mains in an attempt to reboot it not the TV. If you have a power cut and do not have a UPS you should disconnect the receiver until the power is back on and stabilised.

This is because it may come back on with a surge or it may go off and on again shortly after power is restored whilst the engineers carry out checks of the line.
Whatever happens dont try an upgrade, unless you have a strong signal, which you appear not to have,(results can be disaster)
Your dish may have gone off sat, but it is likely that your box has locked up because you lost the default transponder when the storm wiped out all the signals to you and it got confused( Simplistic explanation,so techies back off) have you tried a full reset, following the procedure that is here
http://www.solar-sky.com/tech.htm.

You may need to do it a couple of times, or even unplug the receiver leave it for a few mins then do the reboot procedure to 12129 again

Also ensure that there are no obstructions IE bushes or trees in the shoot to the Sat from your dish. Also dont alter the position of the LNB(the bit on the three poles on the dish) as that is critical to good reception, unless it has worked loose etc

If all that dont work then you will probably have cause to believe the dish has gone off line
Old Jan 28th 2007, 10:45 am
Just Joined

Clive C is an unknown quantity at this point

I recently had sky installed, It was my own Pace sky digibox about 3-4 years old and a new 1.3 metre dish. I do not have a Channel 4 or 5 card, but was looking at purchasing one in the UK through a friend. Currently on the EPG it does not list these 2 channels at all, is this because i do not have a card or a problem elsewhere?

Any help would be appreciated before getting the card!

Thanks, Clive.
Old Jan 28th 2007, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Clive C
I recently had sky installed, It was my own Pace sky digibox about 3-4 years old and a new 1.3 metre dish. I do not have a Channel 4 or 5 card, but was looking at purchasing one in the UK through a friend. Currently on the EPG it does not list these 2 channels at all, is this because i do not have a card or a problem elsewhere?

Any help would be appreciated before getting the card!

Thanks, Clive.
Are u getting BBC1 or ITV on your current system, if so should be no problem for CH4 & CH5. Is your software version 3.5.3 (In services 4 then system details.) Further Check to see if your Radio channels are on 0102 etc IE number start with 0***, if not it could be your software needs updating.
Old Jan 28th 2007, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

If you boot a digibox with no card Channel 4 and Five will not appear in the EPG. Once you get your card reboot and insert the card immediately after you have plugged the digibox back in and both channels will be there.

Don't put the card in before plugging the box back into the mains because the sudden surge of power could damage it. This may be a myth but I have never risked it! I'm sure Solarwhizz can confirm or repudiate.
Old Jan 28th 2007, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by patsywhitehair
Last time that hapened to me I was left for 4 days with no telly.....but I followed Solarwhizz's advice....and it saved my sanity and my hubby's and my two monsters

All's ok now although cosof the bloomin weather we've lost Channel 4 COMPLETELY used to get it in the morning and from about 6.30pm English time....have a dish that doesn't pick up BBC's are ITV but all the rest.

Gutted as wanted to watch Celebrity BB.....(I know I know...saddo I am!!!!!)

Good luck Pat x
Old Jan 28th 2007, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

from one saddo to another

youre not missing much on BB - its actually getting boring

I think Shilpa will win and probably now because of the racist issue which in my opinion has blown out of all proportion
Old Jan 28th 2007, 3:06 pm
barxeta bliss,ohhhh

thanks to you all for your replies, funny enough I got up our sky digibox fm the bedroom and plugged that in and it worked a treat, think that maybe the power surge might have knackered the other one, will try the old one in the bedroom and see, and yep I now know that I should have had a power surge thingy on it ,will buy one tomorrow. thanks again,pat
Old Jan 28th 2007, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

If you can run to it buy a fully fledged UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) rather than just a surge protector. Constant rebooting of a digibox because of power cuts does it no good at all. The worst of all are the momentary power cuts (micro cortas) where the power just goes off for a couple of seconds then comes back on.

You really should have one for your computer as well.
Old Jan 28th 2007, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
If you can run to it buy a fully fledged UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) rather than just a surge protector. Constant rebooting of a digibox because of power cuts does it no good at all. The worst of all are the momentary power cuts (micro cortas) where the power just goes off for a couple of seconds then comes back on.

You really should have one for your computer as well.
I agree the surge protectors are next to useless,and really hve no value, you can buy a good unit (u will need a min of 500VA) MGE UPS from Media Mart for about 125€, patsy, from what u have said I think your box(changed box) just needs a reboot using the procedure on the link,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.