Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Looking for a Spanish retreat home.

Looking for a Spanish retreat home.

Old Aug 22nd 2011, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

hotchick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking for a Spanish retreat home.

Originally Posted by casa del sol
What about the beautiful area of the Sierra de las Nieves and its white villages lots of old cortijos land suitable for horses, still only a short drive to Marbella and Malaga but out in the middle of nowhere.
casa del sol - that is actually where we are coming to on Thursday - do you know anything about Monda ? BTW Thank you for a sensible reply , that area sounds lovely
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 7:17 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Oh and P.S this is NOT !!!! a summer home it will be our one and only place of residence and business .
Dont know how you are going to do business in finance in the campo of Granada when you cant even get a reliable and fast internet connection

Apologies, but it just sounds so implausable. You HAVE to be in the city to work in finance, especially to earn big bucks, and you do something with horses? How do you do that in Chelsea?[/QUOTE]

I don't remember ever saying Granada doesnt have a reliable and fast internet, we only signed up for 5mb because it was available at a good price. We have a successful IT company 2 floors down, an architects round the corner, successful building design and build round other corner, local chief of police headquarters next street. Oh and a couple of bars (well it is Spain).

yes some places have problems, but if I was spending €500k + for a property I would ensure it ticked all the boxes before signing a dotted line. and I would also ensure I had a sat dish lined up for internet in the event of major problems

Granada has a number of finance positions, international university, is "county town" and isnt the backwater that some sniffy expats think having spent a couple of hours at the alhambra before lemming it back to their expat community on the coast

rgds
Dom
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 8:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotchick
Please?
Whatever you think, lets just let it ride eh?
No you don't if you deal with finances from Argentina , you can be anywhere in the world. As for Polo ponies my Argentinian Father in Law who has breed ponies and exported around the world all his life, has NO !!! problems believe me .[/QUOTE]

Not an Herrera, I suppose? Other surnames would be too obvious!
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 8:15 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Getting a bit silly now. Are we all supposed to go along with this out of politeness
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Zaragoza, by way of Cambridgeshire, and now Alhaurin El Grande
Zaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really nice

I lost interest when Cricketman started giving Alhaurin a pasting.

Can´t be all bad, I am here.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
no!!!!

it's usually his fault!!!!

where IS he?
It's August.....he will probably be on a months holiday! Lucky
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

I have never considered living in Alhaurin El Grande, I was being polite ( look it up ) and we are asking advice elsewhere. Some people have been extremely helpful on this forum and others well of course there are plenty of fish and chip brigade living on the Costas it would be sad not to let them have the centre of attention they crave.

We fly out on Thursday with friends as we have found a couple of properties we are interested in. One in the Sierras, 15 mins from Marbella. It is a bit too close to the Costas for my liking but we will see. There is another Near Granada which I am far more interested in . Thank you Domino for pointing out Granada is still feasible.

Oh and P.S this is NOT !!!! a summer home it will be our one and only place of residence and business .
If you get the time on your trip have a look at the pueblos of Sierra de Aracena about 1 hour away NNW Seville and just over an hour away from the Costa de la Luz beaches. It's a kind of artistic community dotted around. there are Expats but very few and those that there are are more interesting than most. There's an estate agents called Prosa which is run from home since the crisis by a really nice Irish girl called Siobhan (pronounced Shevaughn).
I'll try to find the website.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

They are called Casasierra AND Prosa. here they are.

http://www.casasierra.com/Home.asp
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Incidentally, and this may be relevent to the other thread talking about house buying experiences. We, in the end, didn't bother with an estate agent. We took a drive, Found a village we loved, and rang the numbers on the Se vende boards. If you have a smattering of Spanish this is definitely worth a try. If you haven't, find someone in the area who has and pay them a few euros to translate for you. It'll save you a fortune in estate agent or Corredor fees, and you'll feel more in charge.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 12:14 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

There are a lot of things in Spain that could be considered undesirable. I deal with them every day. But once you figure out how to get around them, there are some big advantages to living here compared to other areas of Europe.

Yes, the telephone and internet here is about the most expensive and least reliable in Europe. True. And Telefonica are complete morons. Forget it.

Energy (electricity) is among the biggest rip-offs I've ever seen anywhere - but only if you allow them to do it. It seems the prevailing attitude is that if you allow them to rip you off, then it's your fault. So, don't allow them...

Aside from those things, I enjoy just about the lowest cost of living I've ever had in Europe, I get 9 solid months of t-shirt weather per year, and I don't pay much of a premium for living 5 minutes from the beach.

I find the people to be as down to earth and decent as any I've ever met, and compared to Germany where I lived previously, there aren't thousands of finely-defined and enforced rules and regulations for every petty facet of life that you are required to obey. Nobody will call the police if you park slightly over the line, don't properly sort your rubbish, your kid bounces a ball at 2:00pm, or have a few friends for dinner and drinks on the terrace after 10:00pm (police called on me every time for stuff like this in Germany).

Not bad, me thinks...
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

hotchick is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much amideislas for all your advice. I am looking into it now , I love how you have described the area.

I love the Spanish people especially the older generation , that is why I am looking for somewhere totally unspoilt and an artistic community - loving the sound of that
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 1:27 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much amideislas for all your advice. I am looking into it now , I love how you have described the area.

I love the Spanish people especially the older generation , that is why I am looking for somewhere totally unspoilt and an artistic community - loving the sound of that
Have a look at "Arta" in the northeast of Mallorca. Lots of artists and musicians there. Some names you will know :-) Very Spanish in overall culture. Not far from a number of equally enchanting villages.

Charming place, relatively cheap, 10 minutes from great beaches... Major shops and restaurants, supermarkets, etc..

Google images for the area - have a look.

Enjoy...
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 1:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Have a look at "Arta" in the northeast of Mallorca. Lots of artists and musicians there. Some names you will know :-) Very Spanish in overall culture. Not far from a number of equally enchanting villages.
Many Mallorcans wont appreciate you calling them "very Spanish"
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 1:51 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by cricketman
Many Mallorcans wont appreciate you calling them "very Spanish"
Absolutely true - but the uninitiated don't know the difference.

In fact the Mallorquins generally dislike "extranajeros" from the peninsula, but are mostly OK with the English or other nationalities - as long as they aren't "Spanish"...
Old Aug 24th 2011, 1:57 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
You need JLFS around to sort it out!
You rang

JLFS reporting for duty, now where are the posts that need sorting out?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.