Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

looking for a part time job in murcia spain

looking for a part time job in murcia spain

Old Sep 11th 2008, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

edel is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile looking for a part time job in murcia spain

hi im looking for a part time job or even a full time job if it was in evening or weekends anytime im over a year and half living in spain came from ireland and money realy tight the job im kinda looking for is waitressing or working in a shop my spainsh is not great at all just kinda looking for a way of making extra money dont mind what the job is
Old Sep 11th 2008, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

carefreebrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: looking for a part time job in murcia spain

You say your Spanish is not great at all but you are thinking of working as a waitress or in a shop, both of which will probably bring you into contact with people who are mostly Spanish. Perhaps you are being modest about your language ability and could do something better ? If your Spanish really isn't very good then try thinking about jobs foreigners with poor English are doing in UK and see if a similar job is possible here. Don't want to be negative, but will there not be lots of students around now in Murcia looking for jobs ? With them and illegals chasing work I wish you luck.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 9:47 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

edel look around and why not try up the road like elche aswell ha what about the the irish bars around you in Murcia area there aswall looking for staff there from what been told are if not part time girlfreind to me also from Ireland west coast
best off luck there
jurdy
Old Sep 11th 2008, 9:53 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by edel
hi im looking for a part time job or even a full time job if it was in evening or weekends anytime im over a year and half living in spain came from ireland and money realy tight the job im kinda looking for is waitressing or working in a shop my spainsh is not great at all just kinda looking for a way of making extra money dont mind what the job is
If you had a degree you could teach English at a language school because most are looking for teachers this time of year. If you haven`t got a degree, just say you left it in your home country as they never really check. They also prefer a teacher that doesn`t speak Spanish so you only communicate in work in English.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 4:20 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
If you had a degree you could teach English at a language school because most are looking for teachers this time of year. If you haven`t got a degree, just say you left it in your home country as they never really check. They also prefer a teacher that doesn`t speak Spanish so you only communicate in work in English.
I wouldn't have got my language school job (teaching english) if I couldn't speak spanish - they wanted someone who can explain grammatical terms in spanish, and who can translate where necessary.

Obviously I try to avoid speaking spanish to my students as much as possible, but it does help to be able to translate sometimes.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 8:45 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
I wouldn't have got my language school job (teaching english) if I couldn't speak spanish - they wanted someone who can explain grammatical terms in spanish, and who can translate where necessary.

Obviously I try to avoid speaking spanish to my students as much as possible, but it does help to be able to translate sometimes.
Normally a native born Spanish speaking English teacher can teach this to pupils in their normal school but maybe you are teaching adults? Anyway the trend several years ago, was to employ non speaking Spanish English teachers, maybe this has now changed or or you are in the minority.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 11:50 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Normally a native born Spanish speaking English teacher can teach this to pupils in their normal school but maybe you are teaching adults? Anyway the trend several years ago, was to employ non speaking Spanish English teachers, maybe this has now changed or or you are in the minority.
How anyone can teach a foreign language not knowing the host language is beyond me.
Do they hold up pictures and say the word ?
Old Sep 12th 2008, 1:08 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by jdr
How anyone can teach a foreign language not knowing the host language is beyond me.
For your information the best language schools in the world prefer their teachers not to know the host language, becuase it means from day 1 the pupil has to communicate in English with the teacher and if need be this can be done with pictures and any other viable means etc. When language schools around the world say in Japan or Saudi Arabia want English teachers, do you really think that they are going to find many English teachers that speak the host language. How many Brits do you know that speak Japanese?

When I went to England to learn English I knew practically no English and my teacher no Spanish. So there is a perfect example.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 2:12 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

I teach adults & kids

I think the trend is changing, and I'm not in the minority around here

strangely the school has had trouble finding a native spanish teacher with even basic english skills - to the extent that the spanish classes are taught by the german owner!
Old Sep 12th 2008, 2:13 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by jdr
we do a lot of that with the little kids!!
Old Sep 12th 2008, 2:20 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

For your information the best language schools in the world prefer their teachers not to know the host language, becuase it means from day 1 the pupil has to communicate in English with the teacher and if need be this can be done with pictures and any other viable means etc. When language schools around the world say in Japan or Saudi Arabia want English teachers, do you really think that they are going to find many English teachers that speak the host language. How many Brits do you know that speak Japanese?

When I went to England to learn English I knew practically no English and my teacher no Spanish. So there is a perfect example.
and that works fine for some students

some of the adults I teach have been taught by non-spanish speaking teachers before, and prefer to be taught by a teacher who can translate if needed - particularly when you are getting to more advanced levels

I always tell my students that I will speak in english to them, and they should speak to me in english from day one, & encourage the english-speaking secretary to speak to them in english also - but it really does help to sometimes be able to translate

my (ex? I haven't yet decided whether or not to return after the payment fiasco) boss actually doesn't agree with me, and wants me to speak & translate a lot more than I am willing to

I think a balance is the best approach
Old Sep 12th 2008, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

The leading language schools in the UK - International House, St Giles, EF- insist on ONLY teaching in host language. Partly this is I suspect because they have such a wide range of students that no teacher could address all in their own tongue.
As part of the retraining I did, we all had a few hours of lessons conducted entirely in a language that was completely unknown to the entire class to accustom us to the problems encountered by our future students. In my case it was Latvian and I was absolutely astonished at how much I could speak after four hours of classes. Certainly blew my prejudices away.
So although what you do in a school will be determined by those running the school, do not imagine that you HAVE to speak Spanish in order to teach English. It is just harder work if you find yourself completely unable to explain a grammar point etc. Also however the obvious is that if you haven't learnt Spanish or some other language, your command of grammar is likely to be tenuous at best.

Last edited by bigglesworth; Sep 12th 2008 at 2:39 pm. Reason: technical incompetence as usual
Old Sep 12th 2008, 4:12 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

I don't think you HAVE to speak spanish (in spain) to be able to teach english

it can just help, sometimes

your point about command of grammar is true, though
Old Sep 12th 2008, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

03630 will become famous soon enough03630 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jdr
The same way you learnt (or should that be learned) your mother tongue. Repetition and association. Of course the process is speeded up a little because you already know some rules of grammar. For example there is a present and past tense.

In my class currently there is 1 Korean, 2 Japanese, 1 Pole, 1 Russian, 1 American, 1 Iranian and 1 Brit. What language would the teacher use if not Spanish?
Old Sep 12th 2008, 4:17 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
I don't think you HAVE to speak spanish (in spain) to be able to teach english

it can just help, sometimes

your point about command of grammar is true, though
So true, I think it makes the student so much more comfortable too, knowing they have at least a bit better communication if needed, with the teacher.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.