Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Looking to move to spain for a year or so????

Looking to move to spain for a year or so????

Old Nov 27th 2012, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

strachan3112 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking to move to spain for a year or so????

Hi im looking for advice/info

Im a uk citizen just now and i am currently working offshore all around the world. I am looking to go day rating after the new year. Im looking for info on what i would need to move to spain and where is good for me to move! im only 24 years old so not looking for a retirement village haha

I am also interested in the whole tax thing? Do i still have to pay tax if i dont live in the uk and what are the rules for me going into the uk if i am required in the north sea etc?

Any info/advice would be much appreciated

Old Nov 27th 2012, 2:44 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to move to spain for a year or so????

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Nov 28th 2012, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

It depends how much of the year you plan to spend in Spain. If you are here for more than 183 days a year you become tax resident (which is different from the "residencia" which you are supposed to apply for if you live here for more than 90 days in one go).

I think you can still opt to be taxed in the UK though - anyway there is a double taxation agreement which means you don't get taxed twice on the same earnings!
Old Nov 28th 2012, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply. I will more than likely not be in Spain more than 100 days of the year as I work all over the world approx a month at a time. How does the taxation work? E.g how much tax would I be paying as I'm currently in the 40% tax bracket in the uk which is totally crazy if you ask me! That's the reason I am looking to move somewhere I will pay less tax so I can enjoy my wages more :-)
Old Nov 28th 2012, 2:48 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by strachan3112
Thanks for your reply. I will more than likely not be in Spain more than 100 days of the year as I work all over the world approx a month at a time. How does the taxation work? E.g how much tax would I be paying as I'm currently in the 40% tax bracket in the uk which is totally crazy if you ask me! That's the reason I am looking to move somewhere I will pay less tax so I can enjoy my wages more :-)
well if you're not here 90 days consecutively nor more than 182 days a year then you have no need to register as resident at all, nor submit tax returns here

I don't know if income tax is less here though - it might be worth looking into
Old Nov 28th 2012, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

Ok thanks a lot ill look into it

As for living in Spain I'm 23 male and single. Won't be spending a lot of time in the country so where would you guys on here advise to live? I'd like a pool (as most Brits would haha) and like a parking space for my car for when I'm away! How much roughly would I be looking to rent a property probably just a 1 bedroom but would like a 2 or more just for the sake of friends visiting.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Income tax has just gone up here, you might be on more than 40%. Your best bet is to ask a good accountant!

Income band Tax rate 2013
€0 - €17.007 24,75%
€17.007 - €33.007 30%
€33.007 - €53.407 40%
€53.407 - €120.000 47%
€120.000 - €175,000 49%
€175.000 - €300.000 51%
over €300.000 52%
Old Nov 28th 2012, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by strachan3112
Ok thanks a lot ill look into it

As for living in Spain I'm 23 male and single. Won't be spending a lot of time in the country so where would you guys on here advise to live? I'd like a pool (as most Brits would haha) and like a parking space for my car for when I'm away! How much roughly would I be looking to rent a property probably just a 1 bedroom but would like a 2 or more just for the sake of friends visiting.
You should be able to get something decent on the Costa del Sol with a communal pool and private parking for €500-€750 a month.

Fotocasa property rentals

Presumably you will need to be close to an airport - Malaga has good international connections.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

Location: Javea by choice / Kazakhstan mostly / UK sometimes!
Mykap will become famous soon enough

I am in a similar position in as far as I am working abroad (although onshore) have a places in the UK and Spain – I do pay tax at 10% in the country I am working in.

Probably what you are trying to do is not be liable for UK tax and avoid Spanish tax, with only one year out you have little chance of avoiding UK tax.

An accountant will be your best friend as there are serious pitfalls and there is no tolerance from the tax man in the current economic climate if you get it wrong. Do not just go to Spain and stop paying UK tax.
You need to advise the revenue you have left the UK. As I recall you have to have a minimum one year contract and your first year out has to cover a complete tax year ie April 5th to April 5th however they may not be happy with an offshore contract. After the revenue have accepted your departure it’s straight forward and they will send you a letter telling you to let them know when your circumstances change or you return to the UK permanently (mine is framed!).

Your employment will have to ensure you spend
– total less than 183 days in the UK any tax year, and
– average less than 91 days a tax year. This average is taken over the period of absence up to a maximum of four years.

No need to register in Spain as a resident Spanish 90/183 day rules won’t apply.

Hope that helps - Get an accountant!

Last edited by Mykap; Nov 29th 2012 at 9:13 am.