Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Long term renting in Malaga - how......?

Long term renting in Malaga - how......?

Old Nov 17th 2010, 8:23 am
Just Joined

Lesley Carroll is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Long term renting in Malaga - how......?

Hi

When renting in the UK the agent/owner will ask for deposits and references.

How will references be followed up in Spain??

Has anyone any experience of renting for 6 months or more?

Cheers
Old Nov 17th 2010, 8:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long term renting in Malaga - how......?

Originally Posted by Lesley Carroll
Hi

When renting in the UK the agent/owner will ask for deposits and references.

How will references be followed up in Spain??

Has anyone any experience of renting for 6 months or more?

Cheers

Yes, in Barcelona I was asked for a reference from my employer for proof of salary. Otherwise they will ask for a 3 month or 6 month aval bancario. Which means you have to put that much money into a bank deposit as a guarentee that you will pay the rent

However, in Malaga they are much more relaxed because there are too many properties and not enough tenants, so they'll probably just ask for 1 months deposit, and the first months rent to be paid before you move in. And no references.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 11:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
(snip) However, in Malaga they are much more relaxed because there are too many properties and not enough tenants, so they'll probably just ask for 1 months deposit, and the first months rent to be paid before you move in. And no references.
It intrigues me that rents really don't seem (on the face of it, or in agents' literature/windows, anyway) to be falling.... we'd love to rent somewhere nearer school but locals agree the rentals are equivalent to mortgage payments. Unless of course I'm looking in Malaga's equivalent of Kensington, which is possible...... !!
Old Nov 17th 2010, 12:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
It intrigues me that rents really don't seem (on the face of it, or in agents' literature/windows, anyway) to be falling.... we'd love to rent somewhere nearer school but locals agree the rentals are equivalent to mortgage payments. Unless of course I'm looking in Malaga's equivalent of Kensington, which is possible...... !!
In my view rents have been falling drastically

The flat I rent, was rented out for 2 years at 1200 euros per month in 2007, now we pay 800.

Malaga's most expensive area is Malagueta/Limonar, and there you can rent a family flat for 800-1100 euros.

Renting out houses is more expensive all along the coast and round the city more expensive still, but I would bet that rents are much lower than a few years ago. For example there is a house for sale at 750k in the Malagueta with a rent of 1200 euros per month. That is less than a quarter what the mortgage would be for that property.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 12:36 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Yes rents have fallen a lot - I've had to reduce the rent on the flats that I have by up to 20% over the last couple of years.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

Where about in Malaga are you living? Would you recommend it?

We will be looking for a 2 bed flat with some outdoor space, terrace/balcony, preferably in a quiet area. Luckily we don't need to be need schools as our children have flown the nest!!
Old Nov 17th 2010, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cricketman
In my view rents have been falling drastically

The flat I rent, was rented out for 2 years at 1200 euros per month in 2007, now we pay 800.

Malaga's most expensive area is Malagueta/Limonar, and there you can rent a family flat for 800-1100 euros.

Renting out houses is more expensive all along the coast and round the city more expensive still, but I would bet that rents are much lower than a few years ago. For example there is a house for sale at 750k in the Malagueta with a rent of 1200 euros per month. That is less than a quarter what the mortgage would be for that property.
We've been looking at the Enalquiler and Fotocasa websites. The prices seem to vary greatly from 550 euros to 850 euros per month for similar sounding properties to the east of the city, El Limonar and Malaguetta included.

No doubt we will see why when we get there in January!!
Old Nov 17th 2010, 3:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Lesley Carroll
We've been looking at the Enalquiler and Fotocasa websites. The prices seem to vary greatly from 550 euros to 850 euros per month for similar sounding properties to the east of the city, El Limonar and Malaguetta included.

No doubt we will see why when we get there in January!!
I've found you can normally tell by the photos, but yes the best thing is to visit the places and look around!

The key about the east of the city is to be not too close to a main road (as very noisy), but not too far away from the city and the beach
Old Nov 17th 2010, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold

Have a look on the website kyero.com, then filter your search to your requirements, such as area, bedrooms required etc.

We rent a 4/5 bed house with 6000sqm orchard in Alhaurin el grande for 500e a month. We paid one months rent and the same in deposit in advance and had no reference checks or even a request for one. Must admit I think we were lucky with what and have found our landlady really responsive to repair requests.

I think if you are good with them they are good with you, we pay our rent 3 months in advance so never have to worry about it and it seems to work for her as well, we are able to help ourselves to the produce in the orchard and if we want we can do bits and pieces to help out
Old Nov 17th 2010, 6:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

I think there's no substitute for spending as much time as you can just driving around; and by that I don't mean staying in the car, I mean stopping for a coffee somewhere, getting the feel for the noise, etc - because cricketman's right to be wary but equally you can find somewhere (for example the Malaga end of Pedregalejo) which is effectively 2nd line from the beach & VERY close to the main coastal road yet seems like a little oasis, no particular noise disturbance at all.
Unfortunately, to answer Lesley's question, we aren't in Malaga. Well unfortunately isn't the word. We love where we are but with an 8yo pining for friends' company and us pining for a bit more ease of access to the human race, we're cogitating what to do. Thankfully having him in school down there we've got a pretty close idea where we'd like to be. And thusfar haven't actually spent enough time really trying to get anywhere.
But 550-1100 is a wide range so we'll keep looking!