Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Long term renting ?

Long term renting ?

Old Nov 16th 2019, 11:16 am
Just Joined

Debs276 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Long term renting ?

We are now toying with the idea to rent an inland property instead of buying. Mainly because in 10 yrs time it could be hard to sell in Spain when we want to return to the UK, and we would have our house to come back to here.
Can we rent in Spain long term 6 months or more?
Can we keep our UK plate in Spain or does the same apply 90 days? or thereabouts I have read but is that if you move permanently to Spain.
We will not be looking for jobs in Spain just enjoying a few years with our dogs and a laid back Spanish way of life.
We know renting is dead money but we feel we are not too tied if we were buying instead.
Any comments and ideas would be greatly appreciated .
Many Thanks
Old Nov 16th 2019, 1:49 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long term renting ?

I would suggest that is a good idea.
Spain is not for everyone and you may decide to go home after only a year or two?
The cost of buying and selling would easily cover two years property rental.
The rules pertaining to UK registered cars have been explained several times over on this forum. In any event, I would suggest it is more convenient and safer to drive a LHD vehicle.

Last edited by missile; Nov 16th 2019 at 1:58 pm.
Old Nov 16th 2019, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

We are in our 50’s well travelled sensible, knowledgable people.
Would like some positive advice , surely ,keeping our car situation to come back to the UK sometimes, is different if we are renting instead of buying in Spain, would somebody please enlighten us , save me searching for any older posts.
Many Thanks
Old Nov 16th 2019, 3:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Debs276
We are in our 50’s well travelled sensible, knowledgable people.
Would like some positive advice , surely ,keeping our car situation to come back to the UK sometimes, is different if we are renting instead of buying in Spain, would somebody please enlighten us , save me searching for any older posts.
Many Thanks
Are you talking about renting for up to 6 months per year so doing half Spain half uk? Or are you wanting to rent full time simply leaving the option to return to UK should it not work out etc? If you live in Spain whether renting or having bought the same legal time restraints re vehicle registration residency tax etc apply, those laws are not just for those that own properties. Obviously one has to consider the B word which may affect your plans.

Here's info re car registration

​​​​​https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...n/index_en.htm

Last edited by bobd22; Nov 16th 2019 at 3:04 pm.
Old Nov 16th 2019, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bobd22
Are you talking about renting for up to 6 months per year so doing half Spain half uk? Or are you wanting to rent full time simply leaving the option to return to UK should it not work out etc? If you live in Spain whether renting or having bought the same legal time restraints re vehicle registration residency tax etc apply, those laws are not just for those that own properties. Obviously one has to consider the B word which may affect your plans.

Here's info re car registration

​​​​​https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...n/index_en.htm
Thankyou for your much appreciated info.
So I gather if we stay beyond 6 months we have to register our car in Spain.
scenerio:-
Rent in Spain , not find employment but maybe volunteering somewhere .
Rent for a year and then longer, coming home frequently , maybe few times a year for a week at a time?
so our main home is Spain - do we have to register as residents after so long there?
Many Thanks
Deb & Andy
Old Nov 16th 2019, 3:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

At the moment being part of the UK you should register on the foreigners register if in Spain more than 90 days, that is basically getting residencies. To register you must prove (if not state pension age) that you have full private health somewhere to live etc and that you will not become a burden to Spain i.e. you are self sufficient. Once you are in Spain 183 days ( between 1 Jan /31 Dec) you legally become liable to Spanish tax whether resident or not. After 31 Jan who knows if we leave EU which looks more than likely there will be changes. All these things have been covered a number of times if you search on residency etc in the forum you will find plenty of information.
Old Nov 16th 2019, 4:40 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou for your much appreciated info.
So I gather if we stay beyond 6 months we have to register our car in Spain.
scenerio:-
Rent in Spain , not find employment but maybe volunteering somewhere .
Rent for a year and then longer, coming home frequently , maybe few times a year for a week at a time?
so our main home is Spain - do we have to register as residents after so long there?
Many Thanks
Deb & Andy
As said above, you should register on the list of foreigners within 90 days. Once registered, you have only 60 days to register your vehicle onto Spanish plates. As a resident, you should NOT drive a foreign (UK) plated vehicle
Old Nov 16th 2019, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

Thankyou both for responses really helpful.
Initially when we thought of buying and possibly now changing to renting we looked into info on that.
Wasnt sure what is involved with renting:- residency etc.
Thanks for info , thought it would be easier renting. We would be self sufficient.
It wouldn’t be till after Brexit maybe middle of next year or year after anyway.
Got a lot to think about.

Last edited by Debs276; Nov 16th 2019 at 5:01 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2019, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

All comes down to whether you want to do all 'by the book' or stay 'under the radar'

More here
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-spain

¡Residencia! All your questions answered | Healthcare in Spain

But as has been said above the fact you are renting makes no difference to residency, tax declarations etc - it is about how much time you spend here. And whether your status is resident or non-resident which is not dependent on buying/renting. I know people who are resident but they live in rented accommodation and conversely I also know non-residents who own property here.
Old Nov 17th 2019, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

bolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond repute

We are now toying with the idea to rent an inland property instead of buying. Mainly because in 10 yrs time it could be hard to sell in Spain when we want to return to the UK, and we would have our house to come back to here.
Can we rent in Spain long term 6 months or more?
Can we keep our UK plate in Spain or does the same apply 90 days? or thereabouts I have read but is that if you move permanently to Spain.
We will not be looking for jobs in Spain just enjoying a few years with our dogs and a laid back Spanish way of life.
We know renting is dead money but we feel we are not too tied if we were buying instead.
Any comments and ideas would be greatly appreciated .
Many Thanks

From your post it sounds like you would prefer to retain UK residency, while enjoying 6 months living in Spain. Unfortunately, it isn't legally possible to stay in Spain continuously for 6 months, as a UK resident, under current rules and is less likely after "Brexit".
However, if you can adapt your plans to visit Spain at the best times, Spring & Autumn, you could visit for up to 6 months without becoming resident. As a UK resident (Spanish non-resident) you can keep your UK registered car in Spain for up to 12 months as long as it's taxed, MOT'd and insured. You'll continue to enjoy UK tax fee ISA savings and higher UK tax allowances while you remain UK residents.

I totally agree with your decision to rent rather than buy. The buying/selling costs in Spain are quite punitive to a bad decision! Once you've stayed in Spain for a while and found your best place to settle I'm sure that you'll eventually buy....That's what we did!

p.s.I ought to add that since we bought our apartment 4 years ago, we continue to be UK resident. We don't stay longer than 90 days per visit (at the moment no one checks). We keep our UK registered car here for 10 months, we pay for annual long stay travel insurance, we pay all our taxes and, to the best of our knowledge, we continue to be legal. Assuming we get some sort of Brexit deal I can't see too much changing. Spain needs its UK immigrants & holiday makers.

Last edited by bolton wanderer; Nov 17th 2019 at 2:50 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2019, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bolton wanderer
From your post it sounds like you would prefer to retain UK residency, while enjoying 6 months living in Spain. Unfortunately, it isn't legally possible to stay in Spain continuously for 6 months, as a UK resident, under current rules and is less likely after "Brexit".
However, if you can adapt your plans to visit Spain at the best times, Spring & Autumn, you could visit for up to 6 months without becoming resident. As a UK resident (Spanish non-resident) you can keep your UK registered car in Spain for up to 12 months as long as it's taxed, MOT'd and insured. You'll continue to enjoy UK tax fee ISA savings and higher UK tax allowances while you remain UK residents.

I totally agree with your decision to rent rather than buy. The buying/selling costs in Spain are quite punitive to a bad decision! Once you've stayed in Spain for a while and found your best place to settle I'm sure that you'll eventually buy....That's what we did!

p.s.I ought to add that since we bought our apartment 4 years ago, we continue to be UK resident. We don't stay longer than 90 days per visit (at the moment no one checks). We keep our UK registered car here for 10 months, we pay for annual long stay travel insurance, we pay all our taxes and, to the best of our knowledge, we continue to be legal. Assuming we get some sort of Brexit deal I can't see too much changing. Spain needs its UK immigrants & holiday makers.
Thankyou for your comments .
Much appreciated .
How long do you come home to the UK for.
We want to stay in Spain 90% of the time , I now know that we have to become a Spanish resident if we were renting for a long time. We want to be settled in Spain as we have two big dogs and don’t want to move around. We have now gone back to the thought of buying instead at least the place will be ours . By the time we go possibly a year and a half away we should know a lot more.
We intend to rent first aswell
Keep the advice coming please
Many Thanks
Deb & Andy

Last edited by Debs276; Nov 17th 2019 at 3:37 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2019, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

I think the problem might be Brexit as has been pointed out. If the present deal is accepted then there will be a period where you would obtain the present EU residency. After that ( if you were to need residency you would need to apply as a non EU and that looks as if income levels will be considerably higher). So to be sure you should try and apply for residency before the end of the transition period but remember that once resident Spain will be where your main tax will be paid
Old Nov 18th 2019, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Dont forget that renting adds up. We pay 6000 a year at the moment, and we have been renting for 4 years. Thats 24.000 euros.

if you want to live inland you can still buy a house for a little more than that
Old Nov 18th 2019, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Ah but could you buy the place you are renting for 24,000€? If you dont mind living in something less than basic you might find a dwelling but 24000 is right down at the bottom.
Old Nov 18th 2019, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

no, of course not. there are houses even here in Alhaurin, I was looking to buy one a couple of years ago for 21.000 that needed reform. What we have now is probably 150k at least, but you missed the point a little 1sexsmith - what I was trying to say was renting long term may well be good "from the outside" but we have a very cheap rent. Imagine paying more, 700-1000 a year - and when they say long term, they are talking 10 years or so no? so 10 years at 1000/month is 120,000 euros, and you still have to carry on renting. If you had put that 120,000 towards a house as a deposit, and have the same 1000/month disposable income to pay a mortgage, you could easily be in a house worth 500,000 within 10 years or so.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.