Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Long Term Rental

Long Term Rental

Old Oct 20th 2010, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

Ambre Solaire will become famous soon enoughAmbre Solaire will become famous soon enough
Default Long Term Rental

Looking to rent a property for 6 months, we are non residents. The agent wants copies of our Passports is this the usual procedure ?

Many thanks
Old Oct 20th 2010, 5:35 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long Term Rental

Originally Posted by Ambre Solaire
Looking to rent a property for 6 months, we are non residents. The agent wants copies of our Passports is this the usual procedure ?

Many thanks

Yes!!

Jo xx
Old Oct 20th 2010, 6:21 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

And a bond.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

Ambre Solaire will become famous soon enoughAmbre Solaire will become famous soon enough

Thanks for your replies.

We have only dealt with the agent via email so when they requested a copy of our passports, alarm bells started ringing.

If we decide to go ahead, should we ask for a copy of the owners passport ?

Regards
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 6:35 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your replies.

We have only dealt with the agent via email so when they requested a copy of our passports, alarm bells started ringing.

Regards
the contract should have details of your passport & the owner's NIE number & maybe passport details too
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 8:20 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
the contract should have details of your passport & the owner's NIE number & maybe passport details too
Surely, you would only want passport copies from the owners if they don't have DNI numbers?

Nobody in Spain asks the Spanish for passports.
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 11:39 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Surely, you would only want passport copies from the owners if they don't have DNI numbers?

Nobody in Spain asks the Spanish for passports.
no they don't

I did say 'maybe' passport details

I wouldn't as a tenant expect it to be on the contract either

I have seen both NIE & passport numbers of owners on contracts though - maybe it's just a 'belt & braces' approach on the part of some agents?
Old Oct 25th 2010, 10:14 am
I believe.

Grebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud of

Thanks for your replies.

Regards
Probably worth doing a bit of research on the agent as well.
we hear of so many scams where everything is done by email, them the agent disapears usually with your deposit
Old Oct 25th 2010, 10:22 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by Grebo
Probably worth doing a bit of research on the agent as well.
we hear of so many scams where everything is done by email, them the agent disapears usually with your deposit
just don't pay any money over til you have the contract & keys in hand.............
Old Oct 26th 2010, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

pablosho has a brilliant futurepablosho has a brilliant futurepablosho has a brilliant futurepablosho has a brilliant futurepablosho has a brilliant futurepablosho has a brilliant futurepablosho has a brilliant future

Hi Ambre,

I don't know what area of Spain you are going to rent in but most areas have a lot of rental properties available.
Like most people have said don't part with any cash until you have seen the place for yourselves. The photos can sometimes be misleading!

Surely, the agent can take copies of your passports when you arrive in Spain as you will have to sign the contract.
If you don't speak Spanish, ask them to send you a copy beforehand and you can get it translated to make sure everything is 100%

Almost 9 years ago now when I came to Spain and used an agent for a 6 month rental, the agent had written in a clause that after the 6 months we agreed to purchase the property..... Luckily for me my wife is Spanish and very astute

I hope you agent is legitimate but make sure!
Old Oct 27th 2010, 10:50 am
I believe.

Grebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pablosho
Hi Ambre,

the agent had written in a clause that after the 6 months we agreed to purchase the property..... Luckily for me my wife is Spanish and very astute

I hope you agent is legitimate but make sure!
That was sneaky
Our first 'Agent' did a good enough contract & that was about it really, didn't manage to pay any of the bills for us, so the power got cut off, never got a phone line connected (which was agreed) & after the first renewal we had a surprise visit from the owner asking us why we weren't paying our rent
Needless to say we are now on #2 'agent ' they supplied us with a contract written only in English to which we supplied them with a copy of our original with our adaptions to it . They are useless with any repairs or maintenance issues so..
Think we will be dealing direct with the owner very soon

You only tend to hear of the bad things of having long term tenants, but there really are us good ones about, but you need to cover your arse against some agents & some nasty owners.
Check the contract inside & out, get a complete inventory &/or condition report, talk about & agree in writing anything like caravans/cars etc on the site.
Our 'owner' will be getting back a much improved building with upgraded electrics, mozzie screens & all sorts of goodies FOC..