Reload this Page >

Long Term Property Rental in Spain

Long Term Property Rental in Spain

Old Aug 15th 2020, 11:13 am
Just Joined

MrACJC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Long Term Property Rental in Spain

Good Afternoon All,

I have holidayed in Spain on and off for over 25 years. Primarily it has been on the Costa Del Sol but I've also stayed in Barcelona, Benidorm (misspent youth!) and Roquetas De Mar. I am now contemplating renting somewhere longer term to get a feel for Spain and then decide on an area where my wife and I could potentially buy a property. In addition I would also like to take advantage of the change of residential rules come the 1st January 2021. Renting should allow us some time to understand if it is right for us and which location.
I believe the Costa Del Sol/ Costa Tropical would suit us best as I am an avid sun worshipper but I appreciate that the winters can be somewhat cold even if it is sunny. Preferably I would like a location that is perhaps a bit inland but no more than say a 15 minute drive (or 30 minute stroll) to the sea. It would need to have a good selection of bars/ restaurants and a couple of local grocery type stores and supermarket(s). Ideally I would like somewhere with good connections to public transport e.g. high speed train so we can explore a little. Currently I work abroad so the property would probably only get used once per month for a week or so therefore good access to an airport. Malaga certainly feels like it has the right connections from the U.K. and other destinations. The property price will no doubt be driven by the location therefore I'd like to spend no more than 800 Euros a month and a pool would be nice either private or communal. Neither of us play golf so those type of communities probably wouldn't work for us although we have often considered taking it up.
Could I ask you as a community for advise on which towns may suit what I have written above? If it helps I am late forties so I don't need the fish and chips/ full English breakfast type areas but would like a mix of Expats. I'd also be open to suggestions for beach side towns if my budget will stretch that far. At the moment we are just looking for a nice base to decide where will be best for us in the future. I saw the below questions being asked in one of the forum posts and have answered them to provide more info.
1. Do you want Expat enclave or not?
Initially yes.

2. Do you want to rent your Spanish property when you are not using it?
When we buy we would not be
renting the property out.
3. Are you retiring or do you need to work in Spain?
I will be working abroad.
4. How much Spanish do you speak?
Limited

5. Are you renting a property or buying one?
Looking to rent with a mind to buying.

6. Can you take the heat and humidity in summer?
Yes

7. Is adapting to the Spanish way of life easy for you?
We'd like to rent initially to get a feel for that way of life.

Could I ask for your thoughts on the locations in the Costa Del Sol/ Costa Tropical that may afford us a good location to commence our journey?
Many thanks.
Old Aug 15th 2020, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long Term Property Rental in Spain

Look from Fuengirola to La Cala de Mijas and Calahonda , tend to be slightly lower prices for rental than Marbella district .
Similar effect going further south towards Estepona or beyond to La Duquesa but then the drive to Malaga airport is much longer.
Old Aug 15th 2020, 1:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrACJC
Good Afternoon All,

I have holidayed in Spain on and off for over 25 years. Primarily it has been on the Costa Del Sol but I've also stayed in Barcelona, Benidorm (misspent youth!) and Roquetas De Mar. I am now contemplating renting somewhere longer term to get a feel for Spain and then decide on an area where my wife and I could potentially buy a property. In addition I would also like to take advantage of the change of residential rules come the 1st January 2021. Renting should allow us some time to understand if it is right for us and which location.
I believe the Costa Del Sol/ Costa Tropical would suit us best as I am an avid sun worshipper but I appreciate that the winters can be somewhat cold even if it is sunny. Preferably I would like a location that is perhaps a bit inland but no more than say a 15 minute drive (or 30 minute stroll) to the sea. It would need to have a good selection of bars/ restaurants and a couple of local grocery type stores and supermarket(s). Ideally I would like somewhere with good connections to public transport e.g. high speed train so we can explore a little. Currently I work abroad so the property would probably only get used once per month for a week or so therefore good access to an airport. Malaga certainly feels like it has the right connections from the U.K. and other destinations. The property price will no doubt be driven by the location therefore I'd like to spend no more than 800 Euros a month and a pool would be nice either private or communal. Neither of us play golf so those type of communities probably wouldn't work for us although we have often considered taking it up.
Could I ask you as a community for advise on which towns may suit what I have written above? If it helps I am late forties so I don't need the fish and chips/ full English breakfast type areas but would like a mix of Expats. I'd also be open to suggestions for beach side towns if my budget will stretch that far. At the moment we are just looking for a nice base to decide where will be best for us in the future. I saw the below questions being asked in one of the forum posts and have answered them to provide more info.
1. Do you want Expat enclave or not?
Initially yes.

2. Do you want to rent your Spanish property when you are not using it?
When we buy we would not be
renting the property out.
3. Are you retiring or do you need to work in Spain?
I will be working abroad.
4. How much Spanish do you speak?
Limited

5. Are you renting a property or buying one?
Looking to rent with a mind to buying.

6. Can you take the heat and humidity in summer?
Yes

7. Is adapting to the Spanish way of life easy for you?
We'd like to rent initially to get a feel for that way of life.

Could I ask for your thoughts on the locations in the Costa Del Sol/ Costa Tropical that may afford us a good location to commence our journey?
Many thanks.
Good luck whatever you decide. You say you are sun worshipper but don't forget that nearly everyone who moved to Spain is like that. I still wouldn't rule out other areas and just because it's further South doesn't necessarily mean it's sunnier, or let's say at some point it doesn't make a huge difference anymore. Even between Valencia or Tarragona you might find places that tick all boxes.

Last edited by Moses2013; Aug 15th 2020 at 1:16 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2020, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what you mean by this - 'In addition I would also like to take advantage of the change of residential rules come the 1st January 2021.'
Old Aug 15th 2020, 3:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck ! These are difficult times to think about any sort of move 1
Old Aug 15th 2020, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

You say the property would only get used once a month. Where will your wife be living? If you are wanting residency then Spain has to be your home and financial centre. You can still work abroad but you cant be resident in two countries
Old Aug 15th 2020, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico
Not sure what you mean by this - 'In addition I would also like to take advantage of the change of residential rules come the 1st January 2021.'
I can't think of any particular advantage of Brexit for expats, either as property owner or long-term renter. Unless you move permanently to Spain by 31st December and register as resident, you will be treated as third country national (non-EU citizen like US, Canadian, Australian or Russian citizen) and you can only visit 90 days in 180 days, and you will require a visa to stay longer. With Covid-19 and its economic impact, the property market is going to suffer with declining values and glut of 'for sale' signs. Rental cost is also declining, as it's becoming a buyer's market for renters. So there are bargains to be had, but you need to weigh that against the difficulty of living in your Spanish property as and when you like, as it was in the past. If you are very comfortably off, it may not matter so much but for average expats, life is going to get more complicated unless you establish residence by the year end.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by spainrico
It was my understanding that the residency rules change on the 1st January 2021 and I was led to believe that British citizens if they registered before this time they would have an "easier" residency application.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
You say the property would only get used once a month. Where will your wife be living? If you are wanting residency then Spain has to be your home and financial centre. You can still work abroad but you cant be resident in two countries
Thanks for this reply, that I didn't know. I need to have a home in the UK for work purposes as my company use this as my base country. My wife wouldn't be there permanently also. It would seem just renting and travelling back and forth would be the easier option for now. In the end we may find that Spain is not for us after all.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Look from Fuengirola to La Cala de Mijas and Calahonda , tend to be slightly lower prices for rental than Marbella district .
Similar effect going further south towards Estepona or beyond to La Duquesa but then the drive to Malaga airport is much longer.
Thank you much appreciated.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Good luck whatever you decide. You say you are sun worshipper but don't forget that nearly everyone who moved to Spain is like that. I still wouldn't rule out other areas and just because it's further South doesn't necessarily mean it's sunnier, or let's say at some point it doesn't make a huge difference anymore. Even between Valencia or Tarragona you might find places that tick all boxes.
Thanks for the reply. At the moment I would be interested in looking at all areas of Spain within reason. I just narrowed it down to the south to understand peoples thoughts. Where would you recommend between Valencia and Tarragona?
Old Aug 20th 2020, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Yes sorry I understand now - yes any applications for residency during 2020 are processed as Brits being EU citizens and thus are more straightforward than the future when we are Non-EU citizens - so bottom line - apply PDQ! (lots of details on other threads)
Old Aug 20th 2020, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply. At the moment I would be interested in looking at all areas of Spain within reason. I just narrowed it down to the south to understand peoples thoughts. Where would you recommend between Valencia and Tarragona?
We personally own a holiday home above Barcelona (Costa Brava) not too far from Lloret/Tossa. For us the climate is ideal and we get around 2500 hours of sunshine with pleasant temps and rain is evenly spread. Of course a city like Almeria gets 3000 hours of sunshine but at some point it gets boring (desert feel) and the beach is always the same. Then you'd certainly be better with Costa Tropical. Above Tarragona you have Cunit and below places like Peniscola (sounds a bit rude:-) might be worth looking at. They also have a pleasant climate and you might have a bit of both worlds.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this reply, that I didn't know. I need to have a home in the UK for work purposes as my company use this as my base country. My wife wouldn't be there permanently also. It would seem just renting and travelling back and forth would be the easier option for now. In the end we may find that Spain is not for us after all.
Yes. You wont be able to get residency if your home is UK. Renting or owning a property in Spain doesn't give residency rights. However, irrespective of Brexit you will be sbl8to stay in Spain for 3 months every 6 months. That is probably sufficient and Tax wise easier. Also Spanish properties rarely exceed inflation so useless as investments. Only good if you intend to live out your entire life in Spain which very few Brits do, often returning when health matters become more serious or partners die