Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Long term lets?

Long term lets?

Old May 6th 2009, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

scared1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Long term lets?

Could anyone help me find out if its better to rent your spanish property on-line before you fly out or to book a week and look round when you are over there? I fly out the 22nd and have a place booked but not yet payed for in playa flamenca as im still unsure of what is best as we have a limited budget till we find work. Thank you!
Old May 6th 2009, 10:38 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long term lets?

Originally Posted by scared1
Could anyone help me find out if its better to rent your spanish property on-line before you fly out or to book a week and look round when you are over there? I fly out the 22nd and have a place booked but not yet payed for in playa flamenca as im still unsure of what is best as we have a limited budget till we find work. Thank you!
What happens if you dont like it, or the area, when you get here??
I'd think twice about renting long term on line, only my opinion
Old May 6th 2009, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
What happens if you dont like it, or the area, when you get here??
I'd think twice about renting long term on line, only my opinion
No matter which way you choose Playa Flamenca will be expensive from now till November ,but you should have a better chance of a job ,bit of a catch 22 really .
Old May 6th 2009, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

Hondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really nice

When we moved to Spain we rented for 10 weeks by booking online. Looked great in the pictures, but it was in the middle of a field up a muddy track, nearest house about a mile away. Luckily we hadn't taken it for 6 months as we couldn't wait to get out of there. No toaster, microwave, freezing cold in winter as there was no proper heating. Water cut off over a weekend because the owners hadn't paid the bill. So probably better to book a week and look around for somewhere while you are here, that way you get to see the area and exactly what you are renting.
Old May 7th 2009, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

a big decision to make without checking out the area first

I would suggest coming out and having a look round before committing otherwise could be a very costly mistake !
Old May 7th 2009, 7:38 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Tell them you will pay on inspection.
Old May 7th 2009, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

We found ours online. It looked great and we agreed to take it. Flew out last week to sign contracts, get NIEs etc, and looked at the house whilst we were there -

It is really nice! Well equipped, nice location, good garden and right next door to a nature trail and a trout stream! Could not have hoped for better in fact.
Old May 7th 2009, 10:23 am
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

I came out and had a few nights in a hotel, then took a short term let.. then took a long term let. Had to get to know different areas first before i decided on where to settle.
Old May 7th 2009, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by onlineamiga
I came out and had a few nights in a hotel, then took a short term let.. then took a long term let. Had to get to know different areas first before i decided on where to settle.
We also did the same - booked into a hotel for one week and extended week by week as we needed to. We were there eventually for three weeks and then moved into a very nice apartment. We did move however in January so had the cheaper winter rates for the hotel and car rental.
Old May 9th 2009, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

suecrane1000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Mum and I were fairly lucky with the agent we chose who found us a house in Alhaurin el Grande. It gives most of what we wanted and is great in the summer but in the winter the house is really cold and hard to heat.
Since then we have looked at other places for moving around and some are nothing like the descriptions so it's definitely safer to fly out and stay and have a look at some. Only you can say where and what you like and remember that Spain can be cold in the winter expecially inland and not many houses have central heating and even double glazing is not in every house