Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Long Stay Travel Insurance

Long Stay Travel Insurance

Old Sep 18th 2014, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

MrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud of
Default Long Stay Travel Insurance

I am having difficulty finding quotes for long stay insurance that will give me more than 60 days cover per trip. Can anyone give me a recommendation for a company that will give me 90 or 180 days? We'll be back in the UK at Christmas so 90 per trip would do for this year.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long Stay Travel Insurance

If you stay 90 days you are considered to be resident in Spain, and that's probably why travel insurers don't provide long term cover.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

MrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud of

Thanks for your response.

What type of insurance should we be looking at then to cover emergency repatriation should it ever be necessary? Surely there has got to be something in the market. If we tried to do it the other way round and buy travel insurance in Spain to cover our long stay in the UK would we meet with the same difficulty?

What do others do who fly out for the winter?
Old Sep 19th 2014, 10:15 am
YMF
Forum Regular

YMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to all

We've met with the same problems, you can buy single trip insurance that will give you long stay cover but how long will depend on your age. Also they tend to be expensive.

Some Multi trip policies will give up to a 100 days but most are 60 days. Again it will depend on age. Stay sure used to be good but they changed the small print and only one trip per year with a multi trip policy can be 100 days the rest are 60 days.

This year we're using cover2travel They will give up to 92 days per trip on their multi trip policy.

Hope that helps
Old Sep 19th 2014, 11:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it does seem to be difficult to find cover for over 3 months that is not excessive cost wise, I too was looking I have cover for 2 months per trip which I abide with. As for becoming a Spanish resident after 3 months? To stay over 3 months one has to sign on foreigner register and yes that entails complying with rules of income medical cover as for residency but you are not "resident" as you would still be UK resident. A proven trip just before the 90 day period to say France Portugal or Gibralter for a day or more would re start the 90 day clock, but not the one for tax residency. I don't think that rule has anything to do with why most are 60 days as most insurances are defined by region I.e. Europe or America or worldwide etc. Many people travel throughout Europe for over 3 months but never in one country more than the 3 months. I would guess it is a risk calculation as longer away there is more risk of claiming I suppose.
Old Sep 19th 2014, 12:03 pm
YMF
Forum Regular

YMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to all

"A proven trip just before the 90 day period to say France Portugal or Gibraltar for a day or more would re start the 90 day clock"

Unfortunately I don't think that would apply, you have to return to your home base in the UK.
Old Sep 19th 2014, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by YMF
"A proven trip just before the 90 day period to say France Portugal or Gibraltar for a day or more would re start the 90 day clock"

Unfortunately I don't think that would apply, you have to return to your home base in the UK.
We'll be returning to the UK after about 80 days for a month and then spending another 80 days in Spain before we come home for the summer so we should be ok.
Old Sep 20th 2014, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

cliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond repute

Rock insurance group do up to 92 days, I am with them through my union.
Not had a reason to ever use them but I dont think my union (PCS) would recommend them if there had been problems or complaints.
Old Sep 20th 2014, 8:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I do not think you do have to return to a home base or the UK just leave Spain to comply with the 3 month rule. I know a few people who do just that to get around the need to declare assets although of course to not become Spanish resident they must ensure they don't spend over 182 days in Spain within a tax year.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

Well, I had a chat with the insurers after getting an annual multi-trip quote of over £700 for the two of us - one with a medical history, and apparently the way to go is with single person, single trip policies. Even having to cover two separate trips the cost is less than half. I still think it's expensive given that I've just covered my son and his girlfriend for their trip out in October for pennies.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

cliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/travel-insurance

They do up to a year but only for under 65's

But its is silly price.