Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

A Long drive - or - A short flight ?

A Long drive - or - A short flight ?

Old Mar 6th 2007, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Long drive - or - A short flight ?

Hi iloverockandroll

Haven't you noticed my avatar almost a balaclava

regards pwwm
Old Mar 6th 2007, 7:11 am
Just Joined

iloverockandroll will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by pwwm
Hi iloverockandroll

Haven't you noticed my avatar almost a balaclava

regards pwwm
ahh yes , how fitting !! lol
Old Mar 7th 2007, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

il try bumping this to see if it heals from the hijacking ! lol
Old Mar 8th 2007, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Oh ok I would always only ever, unless going back to UK for a holiday and count the drive within that, but coming home I use Bilbao and then drive the rest down through Madrid etc easy route and relatively quiet roads, having prewviously enjoyed the whale watching and also the drive down.
Very pleasent.

pwwm
Old Mar 8th 2007, 3:06 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Oh ok I would always only ever, unless going back to UK for a holiday and count the drive within that, but coming home I use Bilbao and then drive the rest down through Madrid etc easy route and relatively quiet roads, having prewviously enjoyed the whale watching and also the drive down.
Very pleasent.

pwwm
I came that way also, nice trip like you say and arriving about 8.00 on Sunday morning missed all the traffic driving down Spain.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 6:38 am
Just Joined

Very pleasent.

pwwm
whale watching ! ....... that sound great , i cud be up for some of that ! .

has anybody went the :
cherbourg - rennes - nates - niort - bordeaux -toulouse - perpignan - barcelona

route before ?
Old Mar 8th 2007, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Miss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iloverockandroll
hey yall...................

il soon be heading back to sunny shores , ive lived abroad for the majority of the last 10 years , lived in Tenerife for 1 year , then mallorca for 1 year and 5 years in ibiza , i work for a holiday company and usually come back to n.ireland for a few months a year .

this time im heading back for a more longterm stay , il most likely be goin to the balearics , and as i live in n.ireland i usually have a bit of a nitemare getting out there at the start of april ,, i usually have to fly from belfast , to the uk mainland , then get a flight from uk to mallorca , and then a flight / ferry to ibiza ! , it takes a full day for what would usually be a 2.15 hr flight from belfast to ibiza , if it was a bit later in the season and all the filghts etc have started .

this time il be taking a lot more stuff out with me , and il be driving over .

my journey starts :
n.ireland - rosslare (southern ireland ) drive - 260miles)

rosslare - cherbourg (ferry - about 16 hours i think)

cherbourg - barcelona (drive - 850 miles )

barcelona - balearics ( ferry - 5 hours i think )

iv planned a route using Google earth :http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&hl...3711,20.566406

.................................................. ..........................

it should take about 4 / days , and cost about £500 - £550 , but its a trip iv always wanted to take .

has anybody gone this route before ? , and if so what tips / advice would you give ?
i was planning on just using a map , but i have a friend who may lend me his sat nav system , and i can post it back to him once i arrive .

thanks in advice .

Tim

ps , i have worked for a travel / holiday company for years so if anybody needs any help with questions about that , just give me a shout .

cheers
Hi,
After our hell of a journey driving, which if my hubby would not of bought a crap car we would of done our driving in half the time.
I asked hubby that when we move back out in a couple of years are we going to fly (oh lord i hope so) or drive again.

To my horror he said "well if i get a better car i think we will drive again."
Me personally i would rather fly save up and purchase a car out in spain.

Anyway good luck
xxxx
Old Mar 9th 2007, 8:26 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Miss Naughty
Hi,
After our hell of a journey driving, which if my hubby would not of bought a crap car we would of done our driving in half the time.
I asked hubby that when we move back out in a couple of years are we going to fly (oh lord i hope so) or drive again.

To my horror he said "well if i get a better car i think we will drive again."
Me personally i would rather fly save up and purchase a car out in spain.

Anyway good luck
xxxx
YEAH , THAT ONE OF MY CONCERNS THAT MY CAR WOULD BREAK DOWN OR SHIT ITSELF AFTER DRIVING ALL THOSE MILES ! . I PLAN TO GET A MECHANIC FRIEND OF MINE TO GIVE IT THE ONCE OVER BEFORE I GO
Old Mar 11th 2007, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

sunlover27 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jdr
I came that way also, nice trip like you say and arriving about 8.00 on Sunday morning missed all the traffic driving down Spain.
We plan to do this as well, can you suggest any stopping off points for coffee, food, toilets etc somewhere hopefully safe as we will have all our wordly goods in the car
Old Mar 11th 2007, 9:59 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunlover27
We plan to do this as well, can you suggest any stopping off points for coffee, food, toilets etc somewhere hopefully safe as we will have all our wordly goods in the car
Can`t remember where I stopped now but most of the petrol stations have good coffee, food etc. Just park in a sensible place, where the car can be seen by everyone.
Allegedly there are scams of bogus cops fining foreigners and conmen in the service stations so......
On the motorway don`t stop for anyone, drive to a service area before you stop and if they are dodgy cops or whatever they wont follow you.
Also if anyone points out you have a puncture just wave and say gracias, they are hoping you will get out the car to look while his mate goes through your stuff.
But then similar things used to happen allegedly 30 years ago on our trips to South of France. ;-)
Old Mar 11th 2007, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

sunlover27 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jdr
Can`t remember where I stopped now but most of the petrol stations have good coffee, food etc. Just park in a sensible place, where the car can be seen by everyone.
Allegedly there are scams of bogus cops fining foreigners and conmen in the service stations so......
On the motorway don`t stop for anyone, drive to a service area before you stop and if they are dodgy cops or whatever they wont follow you.
Also if anyone points out you have a puncture just wave and say gracias, they are hoping you will get out the car to look while his mate goes through your stuff.
But then similar things used to happen allegedly 30 years ago on our trips to South of France. ;-)
Thanks jdr for the advice