Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Log burner question

Log burner question

Old Jan 22nd 2015, 2:00 pm
lic
Forum Regular

lic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nice
Default Log burner question

Hi,
I've recently had a log burner fitted. I'd like to know what is the best type of wood to burn.
Which is best for heat, lemon, olive, orange logs etc.?
Which type burns for longer?
Thanks in advance.
Lic
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

Loco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Log burner question

Originally Posted by lic
Hi,
I've recently had a log burner fitted. I'd like to know what is the best type of wood to burn.
Thanks in advance.
Lic
Orange gets it going fast, olive keeps it going longer.
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 3:51 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

You will get more heat out of Olive wood but fruit woods are nearly as calorific.
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 6:05 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

All woods have much the same calorific value per tonne.

The difference is in the density of the wood. The higher the density, the more heat you will get out of a given volume of wood.

If you buy your wood by weight, then they will all be the same, but you will require less bulk of olive wood compared to pine.

From my experience, wood is normally sold by the cubic meter and if it is sold by the tonne it is often an approximation - very few wood sellers have weighing machines that large and won't pay to use a weighbridge.

That's why olive is always more expensive per M3 than lighter woods.
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 6:59 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Also it's best to buy it in and let it stand outside for the Summer at least, or longer if possible, well in advance of using it, as it is often fresh cut with a high moisture content which does not burn well until properly seasoned.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

When you get your logs they will be a mixture of different sizes (thickness of branch or trunk)

Remember the thinner the girth the quicker and hotter they will burn, best used to get the log burner going.

The thicker they are the slower and cooler they will burn so best put on later as they are difficult to get going.

We've found that once the burner is going, we alternate between thick and thin. The thick ones go in and really smoulder away rather then burn so the temperature drops in the room but remains warm. If it gets too chilly just put in a few of the thin ones, they catch alight and burn and bring the temperature back up, also adding heat to the remains of the big one and letting it burn again.

Of course you can always take an axe and split the big ones down the centre to cut them in half. In this area logs are sold by the ton, you can get all olive or a mixture of olive and fruit- of course being spain you have no idea which is which or if you have been fiddled or not!

Last edited by Bri and Katee; Jan 23rd 2015 at 7:34 am.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone use one of these and do they works?

Heat Powered Fans | Valiant Stoves

Cheers
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone use one of these and do they works?

Heat Powered Fans | Valiant Stoves

Cheers
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure if thats a gimmick or not. However our friends have a log burner that has a fan built into it, they say it is useless in blowing out any more heat. They had far better results having it converted to a metal chimney pipe rather than it being built into a brick chimney. The pipe gives out ambient heat that was lost up the brick chimney.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 10:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
I'm not sure if thats a gimmick or not. However our friends have a log burner that has a fan built into it, they say it is useless in blowing out any more heat. They had far better results having it converted to a metal chimney pipe rather than it being built into a brick chimney. The pipe gives out ambient heat that was lost up the brick chimney.
Yes, Flue Pipe is better and I think they must have misunderstood the concept. If you have a fan, the idea is heat redistribution into other rooms.
Maybe the stove is too small?
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

rosstoward is an unknown quantity at this point

I get olive - but handpick my own to ensure i get good quality dry pieces - the place i get it has a weigh bridge so fill the car hop on pay the difference and away I got. Pay 12c a kilo for olive
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 12:42 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
I'm not sure if thats a gimmick or not. However our friends have a log burner that has a fan built into it, they say it is useless in blowing out any more heat.
Our log burner has a built in fan. It pumps out a huge amount of heat and is pretty useless with the fan switched off.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 1:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Our log burner has a built in fan. It pumps out a huge amount of heat and is pretty useless with the fan switched off.
A good stove wouldn't really need a fan, unless it's too small for the room. If you have a built in fan, it's really just meant to heat up the room quicker when the stove is first lit.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 3:44 pm

Sorry, I don't agree. All the "cassette" built in log burners I looked at have fans. Free standing ones may not need them.

If we didn't have a fan, the room would never heat up - It has very high ceilings and taking that into account the area to be heated is equivalent to about 100m2 in a normal room.
Old Jan 25th 2015, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

Sir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lic
Hi,
Thanks in advance.
Lic
OLIVE WOOD its harder and denser burns for longer eg for overnight burning.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.