Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Location, location, location!

Location, location, location!

Old Jun 11th 2017, 7:26 am
Just Joined

RogerJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Location, location, location!

Hi - I'm planning to move permanently to sunny Spain sometime this/next year - after I sell my UK property.

Having spent about 6 months this year touring the Med coast from Marbella to Barcelona, I have a liking for the area around Valencia (anywhere between Jávea and Peniscola.

I know it's a big ask, but can anyone suggest a nice place to start looking along this stretch of coast (or slightly inland but within easy striking distance of the coast) where I'm not likely to be in a ghost-town during the winter, and where there is a community of ex-pats, good amenities, housing etc and things to do - a bonus if there's a U3A group.

I intend to rent for at least the first year or so (or maybe even stay on a campsite with my van).

Any help gratefully received.
thanks
Old Jun 11th 2017, 7:36 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location!

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jun 11th 2017, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

On what you have posted I would have thought any town north of Oliva would not have a sufficiently large enough ex-pat community to suit you.
I stand to be corrected by other members but if I am correct this drastically reduces the area you need to research/visit.
Javea and Denia both have plenty of ex-pats so are worth considering, although I would go for the old town if choosing Javea as the port area is quieter in winter.
Similarly if choosing Oliva I would also go for the town rather than the playa for the same reasons.
As an initial base there are some good campsites at Oliva playa but the playa is very quiet in winter.
I also think all three towns have a U3A group each but you can check that out on their respective websites.
Between all three towns there are smaller towns worth investigating so you should travel round in your van until you find the place that suits you best.
Good luck

Last edited by johnnyone; Jun 11th 2017 at 10:39 am.
Old Jun 11th 2017, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Think carefully about selling your UK property. It may be wiser to rent that out just in case things do not work out as you planned.
Old Jun 11th 2017, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice Jonnyone. Noted.
Best regards
Roger j

Last edited by RogerJ; Jun 11th 2017 at 12:27 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 7:10 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

So, you'd rather be North of Valencia than South?

If so, then Oliva or Gandia don't really fit the criteria.

I love the area around Serra but not too many expats. Naquera has quite an expat community and might serve well.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 7:31 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by snikpoh

If so, then Oliva or Gandia don't really fit the criteria.

I love the area around Serra but not too many expats. Naquera has quite an expat community and might serve well.
Thanks for that snikpoh. Will look into Naquera. Looks interesting - right on the edge of a national park too.
Rgds
Old Jun 12th 2017, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Unless I have misread the post, the poster is looking between Javea and Peniscola which is a large area. As he wanted an ex-pat community I thought this probably ruled out north of Oliva although I did say I stand to be corrected.
I also got the impression he wished to be on or close to the coast.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by johnnyone
Unless I have misread the post, the poster is looking between Javea and Peniscola which is a large area. As he wanted an ex-pat community I thought this probably ruled out north of Oliva although I did say I stand to be corrected.
I also got the impression he wished to be on or close to the coast.
Am I missing something? Is north of Valencia not a good choice? Why?
Old Jun 12th 2017, 4:49 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RogerJ
As an area it is beautiful north of Valencia, however the further north you go the less you will meet ex-pats. If meeting up with people from the UK is important to you then probably Oliva or Gandia is as far north as you might wish to be. You mentioned U3A group and this I suspect would be lacking the further north that you go.

Rosemary

Last edited by Rosemary; Jun 12th 2017 at 4:51 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

No, north of Valencia is fine but has fewer ex-pat communities as far as I am aware which is why I suggested the area between Javea and Oliva as I thought you wanted to be in an ex-pat area.
Personally I prefer the area northwards from Oliva as it is greener and less developed.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by johnnyone
No, north of Valencia is fine but has fewer ex-pat communities as far as I am aware which is why I suggested the area between Javea and Oliva as I thought you wanted to be in an ex-pat area.
Personally I prefer the area northwards from Oliva as it is greener and less developed.
Ah! I see. Thanks both for taking the time to reply.
Best wishes...
Old Jun 13th 2017, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

FranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond repute

Hello. I live part time in Peniscola and although there are ex-pats here (it'd be hard to find a town or village anywhere without them I think!) it's not really much of a "community" in that there aren't as far as I'm aware any organised clubs or activities. We have a very nice "British Bar" where you can meet other ex-pats, and which runs a pub quiz once a fortnight and a few other pub based things such as a darts tournament and a Derby sweepstake, but I don't think there are enough of us for anything more than that! I have heard of an ex-pat choir (I think) in Alcossebre, but generally I don't think the Costa Azahar is a big ex-pat area. You need to go further south for that.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by FranE
Hello. I live part time in Peniscola and although there are ex-pats here (it'd be hard to find a town or village anywhere without them I think!) it's not really much of a "community" in that there aren't as far as I'm aware any organised clubs or activities. We have a very nice "British Bar" where you can meet other ex-pats, and which runs a pub quiz once a fortnight and a few other pub based things such as a darts tournament and a Derby sweepstake, but I don't think there are enough of us for anything more than that! I have heard of an ex-pat choir (I think) in Alcossebre, but generally I don't think the Costa Azahar is a big ex-pat area. You need to go further south for that.
Thanks Fran. I stayed at Camping Playa Tropicana in Alcossebre earlier this year and liked this resort very much. I suspect this is the area I'll concentrate on, although I'm planning a trip later this year to Camping Kiko Park near Oliva, so will be able to compare locations.
Many thanks for your input-much appreciated.
Old Jun 15th 2017, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Fran. I stayed at Camping Playa Tropicana in Alcossebre earlier this year and liked this resort very much. I suspect this is the area I'll concentrate on, although I'm planning a trip later this year to Camping Kiko Park near Oliva, so will be able to compare locations.
Many thanks for your input-much appreciated.
When you are in Oliva there are a few bars that the ex-pats tend to use. They are in a small triangle east off the n332 as you pass through the town. You may get some info. etc. from there.
Cafe Ole, Molino's, Nikkis lounge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.