Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Living and Working in Spain "The Book"

Living and Working in Spain "The Book"

Old Apr 23rd 2005, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute
Default Living and Working in Spain "The Book"

Hi all,
I have just bought the book Living and Working in Spain 2005 by David Hampshire. For those that would also like it the ISBN is 1-901130-75-452495

I wondered if anyone else, who now lives in spain bought this book as part of their research before migrating and if so, what their opinion is of it?
It seems an excellent book to me, so far
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

rogerb will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Living and Working in Spain "The Book"

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective
Hi all,
I have just bought the book Living and Working in Spain 2005 by David Hampshire. For those that would also like it the ISBN is 1-901130-75-452495

I wondered if anyone else, who now lives in spain bought this book as part of their research before migrating and if so, what their opinion is of it?
This book and others like it provide useful 'guidance', but I would advise against taking it as 'The Word'.
Things appear to change in Spain from week to week, and every region seems to make up its own rules, so I'd suggest you interrogate websites covering the specific areas you are interested in, such as costablancaexpats.net, for example.

Then you could ask questions of others on that site, such as "How do I get an NIE if I live in(say) Torrevieja?", and hopefully you'll get the benefit of their expeiences.

Old Apr 23rd 2005, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

mitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to behold
Wink Re: Living and Working in Spain "The Book"

Originally Posted by rogerb
This book and others like it provide useful 'guidance', but I would advise against taking it as 'The Word'.
Things appear to change in Spain from week to week, and every region seems to make up its own rules, so I'd suggest you interrogate websites covering the specific areas you are interested in, such as costablancaexpats.net, for example.

Then you could ask questions of others on that site, such as "How do I get an NIE if I live in(say) Torrevieja?", and hopefully you'll get the benefit of their expeiences.

This advice above is excellent. By the time any book is printed and published usually the rules have been changed!
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies.
The author actually states the same in his notes.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 2:36 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies.
The author actually states the same in his notes.
That is the problem, things change so fast here i feel he is ripping people off, its like putting todays date on last weeks paper and flogging it again.
Like the other posts only use it as a guide
Old Apr 25th 2005, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

coralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nice

Originally Posted by jdr
That is the problem, things change so fast here i feel he is ripping people off, its like putting todays date on last weeks paper and flogging it again.
Like the other posts only use it as a guide
It is still excellent basic information. There's many a vague question asked on all the expat & property abroad forums (not just this one), that could be answered by this book or lead to further, more targetted research.

I read two of these books, the Hampshire and another which seems to have gone walkies in our disorganisation or on permanent loan. A third book to have is David Searl's "You and The Law in Spain", from Santana Books (cheaper than the on-line shops when I bought it: http://www.santanabooks.com/list.htm ).

Again, situations are always changing, so never act without corroboration, but they do provide and excellent starting point and assistence with the right questions.

Read, inwardly digest, reference back when you have an issue, then check with someone in the know, then check again if it was a Spanish civil servant, because they probably couldn't be bothered to give you the right information first time round.
Old May 4th 2005, 4:39 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Yes, we used it for our research and found it really helpful. We also bought his other book, Buying a Home in Spain, which was also helpful.
Old May 4th 2005, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

stevebrowne is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by coralsoft
Again, situations are always changing, so never act without corroboration, but they do provide and excellent starting point and assistence with the right questions.
Indeed, thanks for the pointers on these the other day by the way (I'm not stalking you, honest!)

Steve