Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Living and working in benidorm.

Living and working in benidorm.

Old Jan 9th 2013, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

grahamo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living and working in benidorm.

Originally Posted by savana1990
Hi my boyfriend and I currently live in Ibiza and have done for 3 years, however due to the recession and the season now only being 4 months not 6 we are looking to relocate, possibly to the mainland, i.e benidorm, so i was wondering if you could provide me with information on what it's like there job and house wise, we hold spanish residency, social security numbers and n.i.e numbers. we have had full time contracts here for 3 years so we have paid into the system and also have been able to claim unemployment benefits (ayuda) whilst here,
would it be the same in benidorm?
how long is the summer?
is spanish nessersary in all jobs?
how long is the season?
what type of wages can we expect?

thanks in advance for any help and tips x

hey!! well ur one step ahead with all that stuff as i never got round to getting it and still got employment...ill base the questions on working as a prop...the summer is from around march to november or there abouts with regards to getting work....i dont speak spanish and neither do alot of the props or the friends i have made out there....and you can expect from a typical propping job 25-30 euros a night based on a 6 hour shift...Accomodation is easy enough to find but if you need any help and want to cut out the middle man just send me a message on here and I can try and find you guys something.

Graham.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

savana1990 is an unknown quantity at this point

do you live there all year round? i don't understand what you mean by propping sorry, my boyfriend is a chef and i'm a waitress/barmaid, over here we earn about 1400 each a month for between 4 and 6 months then we get spanish dole through the winter, does that happen in benidorm? is it likely to be able to earn that amount? we work at least 8 hours a day sometimes 9 or 10, is the work there contracted? x
Old Jan 9th 2013, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by savana1990
do you live there all year round? i don't understand what you mean by propping sorry, my boyfriend is a chef and i'm a waitress/barmaid, over here we earn about 1400 each a month for between 4 and 6 months then we get spanish dole through the winter, does that happen in benidorm? is it likely to be able to earn that amount? we work at least 8 hours a day sometimes 9 or 10, is the work there contracted? x
i dont think u will gt tht much..possibly a few cheffing jobs about but its normally firrst come first serve basis..bar and waiting work is a bit tougher id say if u dont no the bars as they nomally get the ppl they know to work thee but worth a shot....u can still claim the dole int he winter in benidorm and the cheffing and bar work will be....and sorry propping is Pr'in, touting etc... u guys should make enough to get you through and it may be worth trying it out to see what happens but obv i cant guarantee there will be them jobs around
Old Jan 10th 2013, 7:30 am
Just Joined

savana1990 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks graham we are coming over to see my boyfriends dad in april for a week they live in alicante so we will have a look around then thank you for your help x
Old Jan 11th 2013, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

petec70 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know what sort of wages a decent chef can earn there? say something like a busy Irish bar steak n guiness pies etc... we are moving down from up the coast the wages are about 6euro an hour here. Wondered if it was similar there? hope you can help
Old Jan 11th 2013, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by petec70
Does anyone know what sort of wages a decent chef can earn there? say something like a busy Irish bar steak n guiness pies etc... we are moving down from up the coast the wages are about 6euro an hour here. Wondered if it was similar there? hope you can help
Yeh around about the same in Benidorm....Plus tips obviously :P
Old Dec 8th 2013, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

albegrava is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everybody, only a quick answer.
Reading all your post I have understood that Benidorm was a great place, but now it is in recession just like the whole Spain. But isn`t it a City of tourism? Then it shouldn`t have crisis, there are torusits in summer and snowboarders from north Europe in winter. It should be full of people quite every month of the year, shouldn`t it?
Then a job in tourism, just like cafe/restaurant or similar should be good enough in earn a living?
Old Dec 8th 2013, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

albegrava is an unknown quantity at this point

And then, thinking to relocate: is it better Spain or England? I know there are a lot of differences, but I`d like to know what is more profitable
Old Dec 8th 2013, 7:00 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by albegrava
Reading all your post I have understood that Benidorm was a great place, but now it is in recession just like the whole Spain. But isn`t it a City of tourism? Then it shouldn`t have crisis, there are torusits in summer and snowboarders from north Europe in winter. It should be full of people quite every month of the year, shouldn`t it?
Then a job in tourism, just like cafe/restaurant or similar should be good enough in earn a living?
With so many people already in Spain looking for work, with fewer tourists, due to the recession and closing businesses, there isnt any extra work around.

Jo xxx
Old Dec 8th 2013, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
With so many people already in Spain looking for work, with fewer tourists, due to the recession and closing businesses, there isnt any extra work around.

Jo xxx
Extra work ??

You would think we all live in caves, jeez some people talk out their backsides.

I spoke to a guy the other day has a bar, it just does breakfasts and bar stuff, he has had a new kitchen fitted and wants to push the food, he said he is yet to find anyone reliable. I reckon he wants to smash the Sunday roast scene, its a nice bar that does a fair bit of trade.

If you have a good work ethic you could find work its just whether the conditions make it worth your while.
Old Dec 8th 2013, 8:08 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Dec 8th 2013, 8:21 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Don't think you're gonna find much snow in Benidorm, in winter the main type of visitors are pensioners from the UK etc. but even they are staying for less time. It's the same all over the Costa Blanca.
Old Dec 8th 2013, 9:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo

Jo xxx
I think you'll find they've had more tourists this year,
España marca un nuevo máximo histórico al recibir 48,8 millones de turistas internacionales hasta septiembre, un 4,6% más
Movimientos Turísticos en Frontera (FRONTUR). Septiembre 2013
However speaking to restaurateurs/bar owners etc when we were last there in October, many reckoned the numbers were up but generally they were spending less. Conversely we spoke with people that had had a great year, one group of friends that rent out properties had had an excellent year, another couple, much worse than last year. The first couple of friends rent out excellent, expensive properties and they have done very well, I guess there will always be a lot totally unaffected by the crisis and with cash to spend.
Old Dec 8th 2013, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

We were in Benidorm earlier this year for our hols and compared to previous years there were less clubs and bars open that had entertainment on. There was not many that required doormen as the average age of holidaymakers was around the 50's !!

Loads of places closed down at top end of Lavante area. I think you will be very lucky to get any work there just now.

My OH and I will be living in Benidorm from next October but we will be retiring there and not looking for work but best of luck.
Old May 20th 2014, 8:26 am
Just Joined

Scottieb92 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I was looking for work over in Benidorm this summer, as my current employment is allowing me a career break.
Looking for mainly bar/restaurant work or even customer services? Can anybody point me in the right direction to help maybe find work before I travel.

Thanks.
Scott

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.