Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Living under the radar and with false car MOT

Living under the radar and with false car MOT

Old Aug 28th 2014, 8:56 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living under the radar and with false car MOT

Originally Posted by billgates
So he's got a dodgy mot. So what? As long as he's insured then what's the problem?
Well his brakes might not work.

Originally Posted by dorishaslop
thanks for your input.. and I hope he gets whats coming... why should we pay and not him... and god forbid if he ever runs over a child on a crossing... xx
Don't worry, he's insured.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

cardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for your input.. and I hope he gets whats coming... why should we pay and not him... and god forbid if he ever runs over a child on a crossing... xx
I wanted to post the Galician and Castilian words which are pobrecito and malpocado. 'Ah bless' doesn't quite convey the same way..
Old Aug 29th 2014, 12:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Living under the radar and with false car MOT

Do the authorities take a dim view of this sort of thing.... or is the paperwork just too much to bother with..

Someone who owns a villa here and lives here full time, pays no taxes... also drives a UK reg car with an MOT bought from the internet... Yet the police just seem to ignore it..

Has been stopped by the police for another offence but nothing was done, just a warning...

What's your thoughts? Just wondering.
It seems to me that with the lack of interest shown by the Spanish authorities your best course of action would be the the UK authorities. The DVLA TAKE A VERY DIM VIEW of false MOT certs and pursue the issuers and users of such paperwork same with lack of tax disc or counterfeit tax discs both are criminal offences. Drop them a note with the reg number and address of the perpetrator.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn
It seems to me that with the lack of interest shown by the Spanish authorities your best course of action would be the the UK authorities. The DVLA TAKE A VERY DIM VIEW of false MOT certs and pursue the issuers and users of such paperwork same with lack of tax disc or counterfeit tax discs both are criminal offences. Drop them a note with the reg number and address of the perpetrator.
I just received one of the very last tax discs that will be issued - from 1st October there will be no more tax discs in the UK, just a proliferation of ANPR cameras and the surveillance state
Interesting thought, how will foreign police be able to tell if a UK plated car has valid tax, surely they will not have online access to the DLVA database? It will probably fall into the category of 'too difficult' and even more people can get away with it.

Last edited by MikeJ; Aug 29th 2014 at 7:04 am.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 7:19 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
...Interesting thought, how will foreign police be able to tell if a UK plated car has valid tax, surely they will not have online access to the DLVA database? .
They already have access to UK database.

The money saved is "supposed" to be channelled into providing better service, but call me a cynic but I would suggest this is purely a cost cutting exercise and the cash will be lost in that black hole called Westminster.

This change was introduced with little consultation and will only increase the thousands of untaxed / uninsured cars with no MOT on the road in UK and overseas.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-new...hey-affect-you

Last edited by missile; Aug 29th 2014 at 7:25 am.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 8:06 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
They already have access to UK database.
They do indeed. In fact everyone has access - it is not limited to authorised users. You can check here https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/
Old Aug 29th 2014, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
They do indeed. In fact everyone has access - it is not limited to authorised users. You can check here https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/
I wonder how this does not infringe the electronic data protection act? Giving personal details of individuals is against the law is it not?
Old Aug 29th 2014, 8:34 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

There's no 'personal' details there just information about the car.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

I know of several people here with Uk registered cars, they have been here longer than me 7yrs, No MOT, No Insurance, And they don't care ! Old car value almost zero. No property and no legal income. Some dealing is more than sufficient for a reasonable lifestyle.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
Well his brakes might not work.

Don't worry, he's insured.
An MOT test only tells you that the vehicle has passed an inspection at the time it was presented. You could drive straight out of the door after an MOT and still have brake failure.

Anyway, how does the op know that this guy doesn't regularly service his car and keep it in a roadworthy condition?
Old Aug 29th 2014, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn
I have a vague suspicion that one of my neighbours has painted the outside of their house without getting permission from the ayuntamiento. Mybe I should drop them a note with the name and address of the perpetrator.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

cardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond repute

I have a vague suspicion that one of my neighbours has painted the outside of their house without getting permission from the ayuntamiento. Mybe I should drop them a note with the name and address of the perpetrator.
It's your duty to do so - if you don't like him that is.

Old Aug 29th 2014, 10:03 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cardi
It's your duty to do so - if you don't like him that is.

Yeah, well, what goes around comes around.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 10:32 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

An MOT test only tells you that the vehicle has passed an inspection at the time it was presented. You could drive straight out of the door after an MOT and still have brake failure.

Anyway, how does the op know that this guy doesn't regularly service his car and keep it in a roadworthy condition?
Ah, OK - so it's fine not to get your car MOT'd.

I expect he got it ITV'd anyway...
Old Aug 29th 2014, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

lutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond repute

Clipboards are a good idea, even better a spreadsheet.
The odd bit of photo evidence also handy.
Great to keep tabs on your fellow expats comings and goings etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.