Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Living in the sun in Spain.

Living in the sun in Spain.

Old Aug 25th 2009, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of
Thumbs down Re: Living in the sun in Spain.

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
Sorry I am not asking the purchase price, so it is not my doing you think it is too high.
I still stand by what I said when purchasing a property which are two things; a business and somewhere you call home. You have to not only look at the financial part of the business and say the property is only worth X amount like you are you purchasing a business only.
I understand business. I understand the house.
It is way overpriced for location, local amenities and definitely for the current climate.

DSB.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 8:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in the sun in Spain.

Whilst I agree with your figures you have to bear in mind you are purchasing a business and a house to live in. If this is taken into account things change a bit don't they?
It changes a little for sure

Say if you could generate 35k euros from the house in rent a year - a 7% yield is often quoted as that required to be worthwhile renting

That would make the house worth 500k euros, as long as expenses are kept to the minimum i.e. that the people who own the house have other jobs too

If someone actually wants to live off that rental income then you'd have to be looking to pay even less for the house
Old Aug 25th 2009, 8:33 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Is it really a business though, sounds like just a sideline! Has been on sale for over two years so shows the price is too high.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of
Wink Re: Living in the sun in Spain.

Originally Posted by cricketman
That would make the house worth 500k euros, as long as expenses are kept to the minimum i.e. that the people who own the house have other jobs too
Originally Posted by bealerDSB
3/4's of a Million Euro - It is not.
Even in "a good market" I think you'd be at, maybe, 500k.

DSB.
C/M - Thank You. That's about where I had put it at, and at the Euro figure before the Sterling aligned with the Euro also.

DSB.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Cool Re: Living in the sun in Spain.

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Is it really a business though, sounds like just a sideline! Has been on sale for over two years so shows the price is too high.
Wow - 2years
Sounds like they can't even afford to drop the darn price..
Surly the costs were cheaper when all the modernizations occured, IE-When the Sterling gave you more Euro.

That price is just bouncing away potential interests. Showing it online with that price there is NO need to view / all questions are answered already.

TOO MUCH.

.: I'll give them 390k cash :.

DSB.
Old Aug 29th 2009, 8:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
One couple were converting an old townhouse onto a B&B, somewhere on the Costa de La Luz. They were putting a pool on the roof. It showed them going to Morocco shopping for stuff to decorate it (as you do!). Don't know if it ever opened but has been for sale ever since and says partly finished.
If everyone here slagging off these people were doing as well as this couple, I'm sure they'd be quite happy. Having stayed there for several days (it's in Medina Sidonia, not Costa de La Luz) they have done an excellent job of the reform, and are a lovely family. They also have a large rental property just outside Vejer de La Frontera, http://www.andaluciahideaways.com/property.asp?ID=25 which is also extremely impressive. Gary is also part owner of a travel company based in London, and in the winter they often shoot off for months to manage large ski complexes. So I know it's nice for members to decry the efforts of others here, but don't worry, they are doing just fine. They work extremely hard and deserve all their success.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by agoreira
If everyone here slagging off these people were doing as well as this couple, I'm sure they'd be quite happy. Having stayed there for several days (it's in Medina Sidonia, not Costa de La Luz) they have done an excellent job of the reform, and are a lovely family. They also have a large rental property just outside Vejer de La Frontera, http://www.andaluciahideaways.com/property.asp?ID=25 which is also extremely impressive. Gary is also part owner of a travel company based in London, and in the winter they often shoot off for months to manage large ski complexes. So I know it's nice for members to decry the efforts of others here, but don't worry, they are doing just fine. They work extremely hard and deserve all their success.
Still isn't worth 3/4's of a million pounds (may as well be with the Xchange)

DSB.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 8:07 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bealerDSB
Wow - 2years
Sounds like they can't even afford to drop the darn price..
Surly the costs were cheaper when all the modernizations occured, IE-When the Sterling gave you more Euro.

That price is just bouncing away potential interests. Showing it online with that price there is NO need to view / all questions are answered already.

TOO MUCH.

.: I'll give them 390k cash :.

DSB.

I saw a classified on here for a villa with only 3 bedrooms for 300K pounds. So for an extra 90k you can get something a lot larger...bargain!
Old Aug 30th 2009, 1:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
All hose on trip advisor gave it a very good rating, they look to be genuine reports? However there are no comments since 2008.
I'd certainly give it an excellent rating having spent several days there. I have no connection with them whatsoever, but we were impressed with the place, and thought them an extremely pleasant couple. They have been in tourism for quite some time and seem to know what they are doing, very professional. And yes, they do speak Spanish, I think you would need to in Medina Sidonia anyway. Is the property worth the asking price? Unlike the experts here, I have no idea, but I never got the impression they were desperate to sell anyway.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 8:28 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by painterhombre
did you see that show recently where to, lets be honest, "numptys" who worked in a factory all their life in the uk , bought a cafe bar in benidorm? i could have cried with how ignorant and silly they both were, but that's probably another thread entirely!!!!! Was it housetrapped in the sun or something?
The bar is still open, and AFAIK the owners are doing OK. There was also in the same programme a bit about an urbanisation in La Zenia, with an unfinished pool etc, where the builders had gone bankrupt. Well the residents have finished the pool area and the gardens, and ae at last enjoying their life in Spain.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 8:37 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
I'd certainly give it an excellent rating having spent several days there. I have no connection with them whatsoever, but we were impressed with the place, and thought them an extremely pleasant couple. They have been in tourism for quite some time and seem to know what they are doing, very professional. And yes, they do speak Spanish, I think you would need to in Medina Sidonia anyway. Is the property worth the asking price? Unlike the experts here, I have no idea, but I never got the impression they were desperate to sell anyway.
I guess they wouldn't be at that price and after 2 years on the market.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 12:28 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I saw a classified on here for a villa with only 3 bedrooms for 300K pounds. So for an extra 90k you can get something a lot larger...bargain!
It may be a bargain @ 390K, but they are asking 750K
Old May 6th 2010, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

Fredthered is a jewel in the roughFredthered is a jewel in the roughFredthered is a jewel in the roughFredthered is a jewel in the rough

Many apologies for resurrecting this post, after being dormant so long, but I have only just come upon it !
Indeed, it brought back memories of some of the most entertaining, and amusing TV, I can ever remember.
Lee & Cheryl, were really a pair of 'Stars', without even realising it.
Lee's absolutely irrepressible optimism, coupled with Cheryl's long-suffering support, transcended anything which Ray Galton & Alan Simpson could ever have concieved.
Lee's brainwaves weren't in the least 'half-baked', these were FULLY baked !
It was just a shame that Channel 4 were so measly, with regards to royalties, because with a little bit of funding, Lee could be still giving you a hernia, today !!!
On enthusiasm alone, you gotta love the guy though, and hope FINALLY one of his schemes, actually WORKS !
Incidently, as far as Leapy Lee is concerned, he was still doing the Majorca 'circuit', last year, cooking his Curries, as me and the GF saw an upcoming poster in Magaluf.

Cheers
Fredthered

Last edited by Fredthered; May 6th 2010 at 1:12 pm.
Old May 6th 2010, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Post Re: Living in the sun in Spain.

You can download the whole show/s from Thebox
DSB.
Old May 10th 2010, 10:02 am
Just Joined

Dragonfly Donna is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Living in the sun in Spain.

Originally Posted by painterhombre

some people have either no brains or simply far too much optimism!!!

I missed that show, when was it on? Are there no shows on in the evening on UK tv like this? Weve watched them for years but i think i have seen every single "a place in the sun", and "a place in Spain" about 5 times each episode.
Hi, I am new to all this forum stuff and this is my first post. Do you know any English Builders in or around Ayamonte, I take it there is not much work around at the moment ? Sorry if there is a better place I could have posted this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.