Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Living in Spain - Working Tax Credits/NI Contributions

Living in Spain - Working Tax Credits/NI Contributions

Old May 22nd 2012, 4:13 am

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Spain - Working Tax Credits/NI Contributions

It's quite simple really, if you have to return to the UK skint, and need help, you got two choices,

1. get a good tan

2. cover yourself in good quality boot polish

First
Old May 22nd 2012, 4:20 am
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
Do you know which ones? as everyone thinks you can't.
This site gives some info on benefits you can claim in Spain:

http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-spain/pensions-benefits/benefits/[/URL]
Old May 22nd 2012, 4:23 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anonimouse
It's quite simple really, if you have to return to the UK skint, and need help, you got two choices,

1. get a good tan

2. cover yourself in good quality boot polish

First
Thats a bit of a myth! But the UK does need to sort its benefit system out. IMO the main exploiters are its indigenous people who simply dont want to work! They're the ones with the disposable income these days

Jo xx
Old May 22nd 2012, 4:35 am

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
Thats a bit of a myth! But the UK does need to sort its benefit system out. IMO the main exploiters are its indigenous people who simply dont want to work! They're the ones with the disposable income these days

Jo xx
I agree, and I know a few in just one family, and one of them actually works voluntary and takes home more, TAX free, than most ever earn in a proper job and he's told them about it, it really does want sorting.

Last edited by anonimouse; May 22nd 2012 at 4:37 am.
Old May 22nd 2012, 4:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that there are a lot of born and bred British people that totally abuse the benefits system in the UK and have done for years in fact encouraged to do so by Tony and Gordo. However these days lets not forget there are plenty who genuinely rely on the benefits that they have paid into for years and have now found themselves without work with little chance of finding any. Everyone says it needs a drastic overall but how do they (government) do that? There are a lot of people these days that never thought they would need to use it and no doubt looking at the way it's going more will need it, but where does the money come from less people working less tax coming in.
Old May 22nd 2012, 5:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
There certainly arent any top up benefits or child allowance as such
No top-up benefits, but yes there is child allowance as I mentioned before, but it works differently to the UK

100 euros per month per child until they are 3. And you get pretty generous tax deductions. I cant remember how much exactly, but something like 800 euros per year per child. Not to be sniffed at
Old May 22nd 2012, 8:17 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Am I the only one who's surprised that someone who has his own kitchen + bathroom fitting business, with a partner who has an online business, can qualify for tax credits in the UK? Surely business isn't that bad?
ISTR WTC can be claimed by people earning up to about £50k
where's the sense in that

didnt have all these things when my daughter was growing up

the fluffy bunnies seem to have made a nice warm warren for themselves

Old May 22nd 2012, 10:36 pm
Just Joined

gleni is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cricketman
Hi Gleni

Social security is residence based so you will have to pay that in Spain. Unfortunately this will mean roughly 260 euros per month each for you and your husband before you start earning. This is fine if you are earning well but a real problem if you need time to build up business

For working tax credits, I have no direct experience, but assume you cannot claim UK ones in Spain. I think only some disability benefits are transferable

However, there are some allowances you can claim from the Spanish government. You get 100 euros per child per month until they are 3. And you can get quite a big tax rebate for having children at the end of the tax year.
Many thanks for taking the time to reply!

Phew this 260 Eros per month before we even start earning is quite high isnt it. Yes I will need to build up my business again but my partner will hopefully be employed. HOPEFULLY although work seems VERY thin on the ground out there from what I hear.

Thanks also in regards to the translation. We will definitly bear this in mind when and if we need it. Many thanks gleni
Old May 22nd 2012, 10:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Just for info, you can actually pay for extra years in your state pension. I looked at it before I left (before realising I didnt need to) and it would have cost me about £300 or so a year
Thanks
Old May 22nd 2012, 11:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by battlezone123
This site gives some info on benefits you can claim in Spain:

http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-spain/pensions-benefits/benefits/[/URL]
Thanks.