Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Living in Spain with a UK bank

Living in Spain with a UK bank

Old Jun 19th 2015, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Living in Spain with a UK bank

I've not spent much time in the UK for many years but still kept a UK bank as I had a house there. I've recently sold this house and end up having no address. The problem is that soon my credit card will be renewed and the bank says they will only send it to a UK address, not to me in Spain.
I have no relatives or close friends left in the UK to which it could be sent and/or an address to be registered with at the bank.

Do any other expats solve this problem with their circumstances? How?
I don't really want to transfer everything to a Spanish bank but I would like to find a way to have this and future credit cards forwarded to me in Spain or next year to another country that I happen to be long term travelling to.
Old Jun 19th 2015, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in Spain with a UK bank

Which bank Mark? between us four banks and cards all send replacements to Spain.
Old Jun 19th 2015, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute

HSBC.
I'm sure that if I had one stolen they'd get one to me in Spain, but for a normal renewal when one runs out they said they would send it to my address in the UK, which I haven't got, or I could nominate a branch in the UK and pick it up from there.
Old Jun 19th 2015, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife banks with HSBC and has had no difficulty in the last seven years. Possibly you just need to talk to a different person. We have no address either and use a PO box.
Old Jun 20th 2015, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lyric050203
My wife banks with HSBC and has had no difficulty in the last seven years. Possibly you just need to talk to a different person. We have no address either and use a PO box.
When I banked with HSBC I had no issues about CC or DC being sent overseas. Some places far higher risk than Spain!!
Old Jun 20th 2015, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

I'll certainly have another word with them. I presume the bank accounts are not special expat accounts, just normal current/savings accounts?
Did they want any authentication of the address? I have a PO box here as well and I'm hoping they'll send it to that.
Old Jun 20th 2015, 6:19 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark604
I'll certainly have another word with them. I presume the bank accounts are not special expat accounts, just normal current/savings accounts?
Did they want any authentication of the address? I have a PO box here as well and I'm hoping they'll send it to that.
My wife had an HSBC account when we were in Spain and had no problems changing her address on line to a Spanish address and then to diffferent addresses in Spain including PO Box addresses.
Old Jun 20th 2015, 6:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike, the last time I contacted them, by phone and email, I was told the same thing, i.e. must have a UK address. I have an account I can access online and funnily enough, just as I wrote the above I suddenly thought 'I wonder if I can just change the bloody address to a Spanish one on there?'
So I have done.
I'm hoping it is as simple as that and from what you all say, then probably it should be.
I don't know why I didn't think of it before. I'm probably stuck in the old ways of thinking I actually have to talk to a person.
Old Jun 21st 2015, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

dypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud of

BoS is happy to send credit cards etc. to me here in Spain.
Interestingly though they picked up that I pay a UK phone bill (my father's) by DD and wrote to me to ask if I had returned to the UK.
Old Jun 21st 2015, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for that info as well.
Old Jul 11th 2015, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

Cabbages is an unknown quantity at this point

I worked for HSBC up until this year. The reason they won't send it to a Spanish address is because you have to be a UK resident to qualify for a CREDIT card.
The only way to get around it would be if you had a registered UK address listed with them as your home address, and an additional Spanish correspondence address where your post could also be sent to.
Old Jul 11th 2015, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

madforfishing is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

This seems to be the right place to ask... Can I open a UK bank account, online, via the internet, without visiting a physical branch in the UK?

Thanks
Old Jul 11th 2015, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

Cabbages is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes with either Lloyds bank or TSB. I can't remember which.
Old Jul 11th 2015, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

madforfishing is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cabbages
Thanks
Old Jul 12th 2015, 9:41 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cabbages
Really? Last time I asked they said I had to be UK resident.

Are you absolutely sure?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.