Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Living in Spain - the good things!

Living in Spain - the good things!

Old Mar 8th 2010, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Spain - the good things!

[QUOTE=bil;8404470]
Originally Posted by angiescarr
(Our local bar has started giving us their coffee grounds to help build up our feeble soil.) QUOTE]

Have you set up a compost yet? Every damn thing that rots down goes into ours.
Yes we have. I need to get a second one because the first one is full.
Our poor garden receives the water outfall from all the houses above it. This both brings and carries off our soil. Yesterday the water in our BIG well was above ground level. That's frankly weird as we live on a hill.
We were building raised beds to avoid the problem but stopped to build our house! (long story). Do you put cooked foods and meat etc in yours?
We've been known to add some 'liquid organic starter'
Old Mar 8th 2010, 7:42 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=angiescarr;8404496]
Originally Posted by bil

Yes we have. I need to get a second one because the first one is full.
Our poor garden receives the water outfall from all the houses above it. This both brings and carries off our soil. Yesterday the water in our BIG well was above ground level. That's frankly weird as we live on a hill.
We were building raised beds to avoid the problem but stopped to build our house! (long story). Do you put cooked foods and meat etc in yours?
We've been known to add some 'liquid organic starter'
We have a special container for waste cooked food etc. It's called a labrador. His crap gets collected and buried deep among the fruit trees as a fertiliser boost, as I don't want it on the compost for a variety of reasons....

If liquid organics means what I think, ie a nitrogen solution, I tend to apply that on a tree by tree basis, by hand, so to speak.

What I read is that nitrogen is very high in most household and some garden waste (eg grass) so it's good to add cardboard and paper.

As wood is so expensive, I built ours out of uncemented heavy breeze blocks, so I can enlarge it etc easily. Plus, as it dries badly in summer, it has its own irrigation line to wet it, plus I try and cover it with a tarp.

We have had a problem with runoff too, but I dug a canal to take the water out so it did no damage.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=bil;8404949]
Originally Posted by angiescarr

We have a special container for waste cooked food etc. It's called a labrador. His crap gets collected and buried deep among the fruit trees as a fertiliser boost, as I don't want it on the compost for a variety of reasons....

If liquid organics means what I think, ie a nitrogen solution, I tend to apply that on a tree by tree basis, by hand, so to speak.

What I read is that nitrogen is very high in most household and some garden waste (eg grass) so it's good to add cardboard and paper.

As wood is so expensive, I built ours out of uncemented heavy breeze blocks, so I can enlarge it etc easily. Plus, as it dries badly in summer, it has its own irrigation line to wet it, plus I try and cover it with a tarp.

We have had a problem with runoff too, but I dug a canal to take the water out so it did no damage.
Our garden had an ancient canal but the neighbour on two sides built buildings and a swimming pool which prevent natural runoff.
Yesterday we were in the garden inspecting the 'habas' when we heard a loud crash. It was the neighbour's outhouse roof falling in. (it was on it's way out. They didn't maintain it and yet made us rebuild the wall which bordered our garden. This would have been less likely if he hadn't trapped the natural watercourse into our garden, Presumably the 'seepage' from this will be partly to blame...but not our fault. They had already filled in the drainage hole. It's a complex area natural water courses.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 9:40 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=angiescarr;8405335]
Originally Posted by bil

Our garden had an ancient canal but the neighbour on two sides built buildings and a swimming pool which prevent natural runoff.
Yesterday we were in the garden inspecting the 'habas' when we heard a loud crash. It was the neighbour's outhouse roof falling in. (it was on it's way out. They didn't maintain it and yet made us rebuild the wall which bordered our garden. This would have been less likely if he hadn't trapped the natural watercourse into our garden, Presumably the 'seepage' from this will be partly to blame...but not our fault. They had already filled in the drainage hole. It's a complex area natural water courses.
Yeah, you mess with the natural flow of water at your peril.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Thank you, I didnt want to have to say that for the millionth time

Rotor. Just compare tomatos. Buy the average salad tomatos in the UK and Spain. I've always found that the UK ones have a plastic texture and taste of water, nothing else.

The Spanish ones actually taste of tomato and are juicy.

I could say the same about eggs and chicken, although UK milk is much better However, you can buy fresh organic Spanish milk from Hypercor, Eroski or Carrefour and it is very nice if not a little expensive.

Anyway, we've been here before. Food is an emotive subject. It all depends on what you are used to, what you choose to eat (and cook) and where you buy your food from.

Most of the veg and certain fruit inc tomatoes in UK supermarkets come from Spain!
The geen house grown ones from Almeria down to motril are tasteless crap, but get the home/small business out door grown ones and thats a different matter
Old Mar 9th 2010, 8:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
Most of the veg and certain fruit inc tomatoes in UK supermarkets come from Spain!
The geen house grown ones from Almeria down to motril are tasteless crap, but get the home/small business out door grown ones and thats a different matter
If you keep repeating your mantra then maybe one day you'll be right

Yes when I was in the UK I noticed that most the veg was from Spain and it was tasteless cr*p. But these are not the same suppliers of most the shops in Spain.

I dont know the ins and outs of vegetable suppliers in both countries, but it is obvious to anyone with tastebuds that these are not the same vegatables.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

If you keep repeating your mantra then maybe one day you'll be right

Yes when I was in the UK I noticed that most the veg was from Spain and it was tasteless cr*p. But these are not the same suppliers of most the shops in Spain.

I dont know the ins and outs of vegetable suppliers in both countries, but it is obvious to anyone with tastebuds that these are not the same vegatables.
Rose tinted taste buds?
Old Mar 9th 2010, 9:07 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

We eat a lot of vegetables and have experimented with buying them from different places to get the best quality, and have found that local markets are not always the best. Carrots and salads generally are better from Carrefour than Mercadona, Brussels, when available, from Consum, Potatoes from Lidl, nothing at all from Aldi, Mercadona is fine for fruit etc etc.

We grow our own oranges and pomegranates, but the apricot and other fruit trees in the garden have died – I blame the neighbours, they’re forever out with large containers of weed killer strapped to their backs.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 9:35 am
Just Joined

Macman has a brilliant futureMacman has a brilliant futureMacman has a brilliant futureMacman has a brilliant futureMacman has a brilliant futureMacman has a brilliant future

ScienceDaily (Oct. 29, 2008) — According to various studies undertaken by researchers from the University of La Rioja, exposure to light reduces the quality of cauliflower, broccoli, chard, leeks and asparagus, which have been processed for sale.

Mmmm wander if that is the reason.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

The UK can grow certain vegetables and fruit much better than Spain and vice versa, to suggest you cant buy veg as good in the UK is absolute rubbish, your just going to the wrong supplier.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 10:01 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
Rose tinted taste buds?
Thats silly!

Its clear to me that I am very lucky in that I live in an agricultural area and it seems that at the market here we get superior veg and in many cases fruit as well. I don't have rose tinted glasses. I'm telling you what I see here and what I eat compared to what I eat in the UK. Of course some vegetables in the UK are Spanish. They have been picked, often taken from the farm by truck to a depot, loaded to an international vehicle, shipped on a trailer for 2-3 days to a distribution centre in the UK, then redelivered to a supermarket after its been quality checked to ensure that they are the absolute perfect shape, colour for the British people. Fresh food eh? You cant beat it!

Me ....... I just pop down the local farmers market
Old Mar 9th 2010, 10:18 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Or you could shop in the small pueblo shops where their fruit and veg stays so long on the shelf it could walk out alone

Ever bought any of the pre-pack from mercadona, they look fine but open the packaging and at least one is brown and mushy underneath.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 10:20 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Or you could shop in the small pueblo shops where their fruit and veg stays so long on the shelf it could walk out alone
Ever bought any of the pre-pack from mercadona, they look fine but open the packaging and at least one is brown and mushy underneath.

Mercandona were advertising a job for a person to put 1 piece of rotten fruit in each pack, so it is not by accident....................

Last edited by JLFS; Mar 9th 2010 at 10:22 am.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 10:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo

The amount of bad experiences you've had, you must live in a hell-hole!
Old Mar 9th 2010, 10:25 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

The amount of bad experiences you've had, you must live in a hell-hole!
Come on, finding a rotten strawberry in yer punet, does not mean that you live in a hell hole...............................

I have even found a rotten kiwi, so that must mean that I am up s**t creek without a paddle................

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.