Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Living part time in Spain

Living part time in Spain

Old Feb 1st 2021, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

tony10hockey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living part time in Spain

I am looking at the idea of retiring, by spending the Summer on my my narrow boat, and Oct to March in Spain.
My thoughts are somewhere near Sierra Nevada as I still ski and would be looking to keep that up.
could anybody advise what the pitfalls and benefits are. I can meet the savings criteria comfortably, but am confused about the 90 days in 183
any advice would assist. The plan is something I wish to put into place later this year.

Old Feb 1st 2021, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living part time in Spain

Unless you have an EU passport (such as Irish), as a British citizen you can only stay in Spain (and the rest of the Schengen area) for rolling 90 days in 180. So in your plan, you can only stay in Spain from October to January and then you have to leave Schengen, either back to UK or for non-Schengen countries like Ireland, Croatia, Bulgaria or further afield for 90 days. Only other way is to get a suitable visa to stay in Spain long-term, such as non-lucrative visa which has an income requirement of around 27,115 euro/year, more with dependants plus private medical insurance, or golden visa when buying a property worth at least 500,000 euro. If you spend more than 183 days in Spain in a year, you become tax resident and have to pay tax on your worldwide income.

Last edited by Joppa; Feb 1st 2021 at 6:01 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2021, 6:01 pm
Just Joined

That’s the way I am reading it. Have read somewhere as a UK pensioner I can get an S1 which entitles me to free healthcare, so does that negate the health insurance.
Does it have to be an income of 27000 euro as I have also noted proof of savings exceeding 30,000 is acceptable
Old Feb 1st 2021, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

You are too late to apply for S1, as you had to be living in Spain by 31st December. Non-lucrative visa lasts 12 months, so for your initial application, savings exceeding the 4 x IPREM rate (which for 2021 comes to around 27,115€) will be sufficient. When you come to renew, you require twice the amount as the visa is for 2 years, either as income or lump sum of the prevailing rate of IPREM.

Last edited by Joppa; Feb 1st 2021 at 6:14 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2021, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

thanks Joppa
That clears a few things up. So even as a pensioner I will need health insurance.
As the second application is for 2 years does it have to be annual income x 2 or 55,000 euros of savings.
how does this work as a couple, do you both need that amount.
If we only stay for 90 days can I assume that health insurance is not required.
Are many Spanish landlords ok with 90 day rentals or like UK are they more towards 6 month contracts
Old Feb 1st 2021, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

After living in Spain for one year (and paying for private insurance), you have an option of paying into Spanish national health scheme (Convenio Especial) at a rate of 60 euro/month or 157 euro (for 65+). Good thing is it has no exclusion for pre-existing condition, but you have to pay the full cost of any prescription.
For the renewal of non-lucrative visa, you can either show savings equivalent to 8 x IPREM or annual income like pensions of 4 x. Your spouse or dependant can be included for extra 1 x IPREM per year.
Up to 90-day stay is considered a holiday stay and you can either use EHIC (if you already have one) or the new GHIC or just take out holiday insurance in UK. Plenty of places will let up to 90 days as holiday let for all-inclusive price (they aren't allowed to charge extra for air-conditioning, heating, water etc). For winter stay, you normally pay per month and pay extra for utilities.
Old Feb 2nd 2021, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Tony, have you looked on Airbnb yet? Stays over 30 nights give big discounts, 30% - 42% off standard prices. All your paying after rent is food and your entertainment. I'm based in the UK and all being well I'll be in Spain end of October through to 20th December, then home and then back out for another month comes March then out to Crete for a month(ish) September. If allowed we aim to get back out to New Zealand sometime next year to see family and friends...retirement is tough at times
Old Feb 2nd 2021, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Must admit I had not realised the S1 option had gone for newbies.

So even if you have the money and are drawing UK state pension automatic health cover (S1) has gone if you were not resident before the deadline?
Old Feb 2nd 2021, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spainrico
Must admit I had not realised the S1 option had gone for newbies.
So even if you have the money and are drawing UK state pension automatic health cover (S1) has gone if you were not resident before the deadline?
Yes. The only exception is if your spouse/partner is already living in Spain prior to 2021 and you become eligible for state pension. Then you can get S1 and join them in Spain and you are covered under the withdrawal agreement, including Spanish health service paid out by UK. Your relationship must have started before 2021.
Old Feb 2nd 2021, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

OK, thanks for clarifying - not a problem for me but changes things for newbies. Saves the UK a lot of money not having to fund expat healthcare.
Old Feb 2nd 2021, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

OK, thanks for clarifying - not a problem for me but changes things for newbies. Saves the UK a lot of money not having to fund expat healthcare.
It is said that UK pays Spain around £3,000 a year for each eligible British citizen. This compares to over £4,000 it costs to cover a person under NHS in UK.
Old Feb 2nd 2021, 9:52 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

It would save UK a lot more if they had a more effective system for charging non UK citizens.
Old Feb 2nd 2021, 10:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Citizenship is not the pasport to NHS in UK. Residence is. Seems fair to me !
Old Feb 2nd 2021, 5:20 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Citizenship is not the pasport to NHS in UK. Residence is. Seems fair to me !
You are not quite correct >
Old Feb 2nd 2021, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

To be clear, for WA beneficiaries in possession of an S1 access to NHS health care is as if you'd never left.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.