Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Living In Martos

Living In Martos

Old Jun 3rd 2014, 8:13 am
Just Joined

Pandyst is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Living In Martos

Hi there , we have just bought a house in martos and as the old thread is 2 year old , I thought we could try and see how many expats there are in martos , as my wife is learning spanish at the mo , and would be good to see what groups are out there , etc ,She is a nail tech and im a vw tech , and would be great to meet up with some natives , lol , also I would like to say that Martos is a beautiful place with its stunning views and very cheap also , including the house prices as we bought ours for under 15,000 with solicitors, nies etc ,, also if anyone would like advice or recommedations we can help , Regards and hope to hear from someone soon
Old Jun 10th 2014, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

Paul2Nancy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living In Martos

We just moved here a month ago and are loving it. We also do not speak Spanish but are trying to teach ourselves. Not an easy task. We are retired Americans. Would love to meet other English speaking residents.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 6:15 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. I am the Concierge for the Spanish section and thought that you might find it helpful to know that the moderators for the Spanish forums are Fred James and Bevs, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jun 11th 2014, 6:16 am
Just Joined

Pandyst is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Living In Martos

Excellent, where abouts are u, I speak Spanish and the rest are rapidly learning
lol
Old Jun 11th 2014, 10:52 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Please remove your telephone number and address as it is discouraged because we get a lot of spammers on the site.

Rosemary
Old Jun 11th 2014, 11:29 am
Just Joined

How do I remove it? I thought I was sending it to just Living in Martos. I didn't realize it went all over the system.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 11:31 am
Just Joined

Apparently it goes all over the system when I put in our phone and address. Maybe we could just meet somewhere downtown? Say, outside the bus station on a specific day and time?
Old Jun 11th 2014, 11:33 am
Just Joined

As moderator, can you remove my phone and address for me?
Old Jun 11th 2014, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Paul2Nancy
As moderator, can you remove my phone and address for me?
I have reported the post asking for it to be removed for you. Now that you both have sufficient posts you are able to PM each other with this sort of details if you so wish. Lovely to read of people meeting up.

Rosemary
Old Jul 24th 2014, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

Amanda1967 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Paul2Nancy and Pandyst. I have a place up the road in Monte Lope Alvarez and will be visiting in September. Would be fun to meet up for a coffee with you guys if you are free. My Spanish is limited but I know Martos quite well and yes its a lovely place. I will eventually get to the top and see that ruin properly one day. 15k sounds amazingly cheap for 2014 - did you have much work to do to the property? We also bought cheap and it has been an on-going project for years. I sometimes think it will never be finished as locking it up for months at a time seems to undo some of our good work especially in winter when it gets damp. talking of which - any ideas on why the paint turns 'fluffy' and puffs up off the wall. Not seen anything like it at home. I don't suppose you get this when living there all year? Any ideas much appreciated so thanks in advance
Old Jul 24th 2014, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Amanda1967
Hi Paul2Nancy and Pandyst. I have a place up the road in Monte Lope Alvarez and will be visiting in September. Would be fun to meet up for a coffee with you guys if you are free. My Spanish is limited but I know Martos quite well and yes its a lovely place. I will eventually get to the top and see that ruin properly one day. 15k sounds amazingly cheap for 2014 - did you have much work to do to the property? We also bought cheap and it has been an on-going project for years. I sometimes think it will never be finished as locking it up for months at a time seems to undo some of our good work especially in winter when it gets damp. talking of which - any ideas on why the paint turns 'fluffy' and puffs up off the wall. Not seen anything like it at home. I don't suppose you get this when living there all year? Any ideas much appreciated so thanks in advance
We had that and we were living here permanently by then. I believe that it is due to water seepage because ours was in a place where there had been a problem with drainage but I am sure that someone will be able to give you the scientific explanation. Ours was left for some time due to circunstances beyond our control but about 18 months ago I had a painter in, he rubbed it all down and re-painted and at the moment it is alright.

Rosemary
Old Jul 24th 2014, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Rosemary. We re do the painting after rubbing down each time we visit and its such a nuisance . It also grows in the same place in the bathroom where there is no paint even though I have bleached and scrubbed . I have started a new thread of 'property maintenance' so hopefully someone knows of a substance to kill it once and for all. thanks again
Old Jul 24th 2014, 12:45 pm

Thanks Rosemary. We re do the painting after rubbing down each time we visit and its such a nuisance . It also grows in the same place in the bathroom where there is no paint even though I have bleached and scrubbed . I have started a new thread of 'property maintenance' so hopefully someone knows of a substance to kill it once and for all. thanks again
I made my painter add a bottle of anti mould liquid to the paint before he re-painted not because I necessarily thought that it would work but because it happened to be in the cupboard. Have you tried anything like that?

As I said we thought that our problem came from a previous drainage problem so maybe the source of your problem needs to be investigated more.

Rosemary
Old Jul 24th 2014, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Rosemary, I have tried the anti mould paint but it seems to get underneath. The wall is a very thick wall on the inside not an exterior wall and it appears shoulder height and nowhere else apart from one place in the bathroom where there is no paint. It is a white mould and looks fluffy and sort of like a meringue. Most peculiar! Thanks for your help though
Old Jul 24th 2014, 4:48 pm

Hi Rosemary, I have tried the anti mould paint but it seems to get underneath. The wall is a very thick wall on the inside not an exterior wall and it appears shoulder height and nowhere else apart from one place in the bathroom where there is no paint. It is a white mould and looks fluffy and sort of like a meringue. Most peculiar! Thanks for your help though
Need to find the source and cure it before any of the re-painting etc can have any positive effect. Have you checked higher up the house to see whether water is getting in and then seeping down to this area? As I said ours was a drainage problem which was semi cured by my husband initially and then later by having a new terrace roof which blocked off this original drainage system and forced us to have rain water diverted to the new system that we had put in. Check on how rainwater is channelled off your roof especially if it is a flat roof because we found that this was what was causing the seepage.

Rosemary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.