Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Living on 800 Euro a month in Spain

Living on 800 Euro a month in Spain

Old Jun 20th 2012, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

pixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nice
Default Re: Living on 800 Euro a month in Spain

Originally Posted by Domino
so the nastyness of BE members means that another new member falls by the wayside due to the snide comments and backstabbing

we are losing more than we are gaining, so it is going to left to the nasty's to rip each other apart

I actually quite liked this site, and alot of people have been very helpful...but unfortunately there some people (seems to be the same ones over and over) who constantly bicker, make snide remarks and accuse newer members of lying. I have only been on this site a few months and I cant even count the amount of people, always young ones, who come on here for advice and are driven away by the older ones smart posts. Hopefully the admins can sort it out, but good luck to the rest of you anyway. You all obviously have more patience than I do!
Old Jun 20th 2012, 11:27 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pixieve
I actually quite liked this site, and alot of people have been very helpful...but unfortunately there some people (seems to be the same ones over and over) who constantly bicker, make snide remarks and accuse newer members of lying. I have only been on this site a few months and I cant even count the amount of people, always young ones, who come on here for advice and are driven away by the older ones smart posts. Hopefully the admins can sort it out, but good luck to the rest of you anyway. You all obviously have more patience than I do!
if you look at some of the other threads yuo will see them squabbling amongst themselves

there's blood in the water and the sharks are circling...............
Old Jun 21st 2012, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

Jenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really nice

Originally Posted by bobd22
the second thing that struck me and there may be a very good reason for this but I couldn't see it was the number of people I dealt with by to treatment. I attended the dept reception and announced myself and told to take a seat, shortly afterwards a male nurse came and took my details etc, short while after this a different nurse came and took me to an area where pulse blood pressure etc taken. Shortly after this another nurse took me through to the room where doctor and about 5 other people (presume nusrses were) and carried out the test procedure. As I say no complaints re them but I wondered why A. Reception couldn't confirm my details B. why there were so many professional people nurses involved prior to seeing doctor, surely money could be saved by reducing this, as I say you may well know a reason why not.
I think you will find that those who took your details, your blood pressure, and took you into the treatment room were all healthcare support workers, as would have been at least two of the 5 people in the treatment or test room. Apart from those in the test room, the others would have gone off straight away to deal with the next person on the list.
Its a way to keep people moving and of course it means that you don't complain that no one is dealing with you .
Old Jun 21st 2012, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

Jenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really nice

And no, I wouldn't want to live anywhere on 800 euros a month, but I would say that for an organised person living in Spain it is very possible.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 5:40 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

that's easily dealt with - just put them on 'ignore'

then you don't see what they post
Old Jun 21st 2012, 5:57 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

if you look at some of the other threads yuo will see them squabbling amongst themselves

Unbelievable!
Old Jun 21st 2012, 7:47 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

and thankfully i dont know anything about you, nor want to! But im sure if i trawled through your 4 years of posting and 615 posts (my god your life must be riveting!! ) i'd find out lots about you! But, i actually have a life! And on 800 pm and all! Funny that isnt it!?

And with that, i'm out! It's been nice and all...but some of you people are just so pathetic! Bunch of old fogies sitting back and waiting for someone young to post so you can post your smart comments! Old age really is a terrible thing....hope I never end up like any of you!
But you have made 175 in 3 months, bit ironic. The last para seems familiar, do we know you
Old Jun 21st 2012, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Two things bother me about this thread:

1) It is an increasingly popular notion that we should live increasingly meager lives while paying more and more in taxes and living costs. This just doesn't compute with me. To me this sounds like simple acceptance and apathy about all the things we hate about today's society, and the solution is simply to "have not", while our governments waste our money and the rich get richer.

2) For the purpose of this thread, it seems to be assumed that anyone who worked their arses off and makes more than €800 per month is considered to be a "have". Are you serious?

The "have nots" on the other hand, who have contributed the least, consume the most from our welfare system which is financed almost entirely by the evil "haves", which at the end of the day, has a lot to do with why we can't pay our debts.

Something is very wrong here. Sometimes I too find myself wishing I were one of the "have nots". Perhaps it would be better if we all were on the dole...
Just a small point I know. But, on this thread, we're talking about 'have littles' rather than 'have nots' in Spain. A group of expats, myself included I suppose, work and pay into the system but are not wealthy. Life isn't always easy. But it is fun and that's why we try to explain it. Though I suspect there is little understanding from the so-called 'haves'.
I personally don't very often hanker after the beach and sangria lifestyle. That's called a holiday. And it's a common British 'dream' to want to live that the whole year. (Actually I was in Fuengirola a couple of weeks ago, and I couldn't wait to get back to my serrano village).
Just as often for hard working Spaniards their 'dream' holiday is to live the simple life for a week or two in the pueblo. That's why the 'Casa Rural' is so popular.
We're not talking about down-and-outs. We're talking about a diverse group of expats who are hard working but not able or not willing to be quite as consumerist as perhaps those who have larger pensions, investments or inheritances to spend. And I'm willing to bet that most of us are less of a "drain" on the health system because they are stoical and will only go to the doctor when absolutely necessary.

There is a certain pleasure in this lifestyle. So all those who say it's not "living the dream". I'd just say Our "dream" is not the same as your "dream".

I think that the various sub groups on here should quit pooh-poohing each other's lives (and yes, I admit I've done it myself ;-)) and maybe learn a little from each other.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 8:28 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

What ..on B.E. ?
Surely not.
Can't say I've ever come across it myself.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 8:57 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
What ..on B.E. ?
Surely not.
Can't say I've ever come across it myself.
get you your own steel mill if there is any money left over from my €800
Old Jun 21st 2012, 9:49 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Living on 800, is fine, but for an expat to choose to do it in a foreign country with a child, and no family to help out in the event of any illness, is rather rash, and even more risky is despite the fact to having "a great job" has no health cover whatsoever , so obvioulsy is not contributing to the system.

Health cover can be costly, but personally I would do without many things before I took the risk, because keeping your fingers crossed and hope you dont get ill, is not exactly a great plan.

So getting back to the 800 a month, possible, if health cover, prescription, large rent does not have to be paid.

In my view, not being able to afford health cover on 800 a month, means that you are not living on that amount, but taking a huge risk, that could end up very costly indeed.

Bad choice if Spain is to be their "forever" home.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 9:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenny22
I think you will find that those who took your details, your blood pressure, and took you into the treatment room were all healthcare support workers, as would have been at least two of the 5 people in the treatment or test room. Apart from those in the test room, the others would have gone off straight away to deal with the next person on the list.
Its a way to keep people moving and of course it means that you don't complain that no one is dealing with you .
I did say there may be a reason and I certainly wasn't complaining it was an observation, to me it wasn't the best use of people and I too was a public sector worker.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 10:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=angiescarr;10130623
There is a certain pleasure in this lifestyle. So all those who say it's not "living the dream". I'd just say Our "dream" is not the same as your "dream".

I think that the various sub groups on here should quit pooh-poohing each other's lives (and yes, I admit I've done it myself ;-)) and maybe learn a little from each other.[/QUOTE]

I think you are spot on we all have our own little dream, lifestyle and budget so what it's your life get on with it. As for a previous comment re being able to click on ignore conversation. I thought the purpose of a discussion forum was to discuss?
Old Jun 21st 2012, 10:18 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

I think you are spot on we all have our own little dream, lifestyle and budget so what it's your life get on with it. As for a previous comment re being able to click on ignore conversation. I thought the purpose of a discussion forum was to discuss?
Exactly, I have noticed that some posters can give out quite a bit (even newbies) but when the tables turn, off they go in a huff.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 10:29 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

no - you can put individual posters on ignore.......... you can't deny that some seem to have little to say except to put others & their opinions down

you can ignore them - but still have a discussion with those who actually discuss things...............

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.