Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Living on 800 Euro a month in Spain

Living on 800 Euro a month in Spain

Old Jun 19th 2012, 10:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living on 800 Euro a month in Spain

Suppose for some it comes down to choice and for others a necessity and they obviously can and do manage but then what else can they do. Original poster was asking if possible to live on this amount through choice which is different and they have to decide on lifestyle etc then make the choice.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 10:38 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pixieve
Yes, i think you both need to follow Freds advice and READ my post! I do not have utility bills or phone to pay as they are included in the €500 pm. If you read it, you would see that I said my rent AND all bills come to 500 a month, and i have 300 left for food and whatever else. I also live in the city centre therefore use my legs and walk wherever i need to go so no petrol costs for me. Some of you people are ridiculous....call me a liar all you want, truth be told I live on 800 a month and I live quite happily! And me me, if you knew much about Alicante you'd know that the majority of people who live in the city centre are not well off and live quite well on low incomes. You dont need to live in the country to be economical...
It may surprise you that I do know Alicante very well after living here for years, and owning a property for even longer.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 10:43 am
Account Closed

Foxilady is an unknown quantity at this point

oh well, seems I am missing the point once again lol.
I am off out now with the girlies to a lovely restaurant in London. For me life is all about enjoyment and fun, not about deprivation, too old for that crap. Call me a hedonist whatever I don't give a rats ass. I am in this life now for the fun and laughter with friends and family. Tonight our son is taking us to the cinema, its all gud in the hud
Old Jun 19th 2012, 10:48 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Foxilady
oh well, seems I am missing the point once again lol.
I am off out now with the girlies to a lovely restaurant in London. For me life is all about enjoyment and fun, not about deprivation, too old for that crap. Call me a hedonist whatever I don't give a rats ass. I am in this life now for the fun and laughter with friends and family. Tonight our son is taking us to the cinema, its all gud in the hud
From one hedonist to another......enjoy.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 10:50 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

another J2

oh well, missed the flight to London so looks like I will have to settle for a quick beer and tapas round the corner with all the working men

Old Jun 19th 2012, 10:52 am
Banned

Originally Posted by bobd22
Suppose for some it comes down to choice and for others a necessity and they obviously can and do manage but then what else can they do. Original poster was asking if possible to live on this amount through choice which is different and they have to decide on lifestyle etc then make the choice.
I think the OP should go for it, but thhen we veered off and were talking about more than a singleton having an adventure for a while.

One thing is a while, but a way of life long term is another.

I myself would do it in the OPs case but wouldn't consider it in a long term situation.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 10:57 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by me me
From one hedonist to another......enjoy.
Yes I don't own a hair shirt. Looks as if a few more agree with Foxylady as she has picked up quite a bit of karma in 20 posts
Old Jun 19th 2012, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Foxilady, what are your plans for the Olympics? I've friends coming over from the States and we'll be staying in the city for a few days then they are off to 'do' Europe, I'll join them for a while in France then later in their stay in Spain.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 11:15 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

well the OP hasnt been around posting for a while so could well be one of those sitting outside the goldfish bowl looking at all the haves and havenots bickering about what they can get out of life

I believe it is doable, someone with little/no baggage would be able to tailor their lifestyle to suit, mixing with those in similar circumstances.
It is an opportunity in life that could be the making of him, give a better view of Spain and life than that shown by the champagne and caviar lifestyle of some.

we (nearly) all had to start off at the bottom, work our way up, its character building. Of course some will put a different tilt on it, but then this is a forum not real life.

tell the kid to go for it, just keep an emergency pack if he really does need to get out.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 3:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and by the way the poster who referred to a 42" tv and cost compared to an old tv has got it wrong, a new 42" uses way less electricity than an old tv. New electrical appliances always cost less to run. So maybe its time to upgrade to that new 42" and watch some quality documentaries on offer lol
This post got me thinking so I checked the two TV's I have available to me.

1) A 32" Philips CRT 20 years old excellent picture 115 watts
2) A Sharp 40" LCD 4 years old picture almost equal to the Phillips 197 watts
Old Jun 19th 2012, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

pixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nice

Originally Posted by me me
It may surprise you that I do know Alicante very well after living here for years, and owning a property for even longer.
Obviously not in the city centre....
Old Jun 19th 2012, 8:14 pm
Account Closed

Murphys law eh? The Sharp 40" LCD was known as a power guzzler compared to other brands, ie double the watts. Usually though newer tv's use less than the older models. Also the phillips was the last of the cathode ray tube which if your numbers are correct was extremely economical . There is always the exception to the rule isn't there?
Old Jun 19th 2012, 8:16 pm
Account Closed

bob_bob we shall be steering clear of central london during the olympics, as even with a blue badge i wont get parked, and forget the tubes they will be jammed and perhaps not safe either. I hope you have a good time with your visitors from stateside, enjoy.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 8:19 pm
Account Closed

missile what's the bike? we have a 1150GS which was gr8 in Spain - actually gr8 everywhere lol
Old Jun 19th 2012, 9:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Murphys law eh? The Sharp 40" LCD was known as a power guzzler compared to other brands, ie double the watts. Usually though newer tv's use less than the older models. Also the phillips was the last of the cathode ray tube which if your numbers are correct was extremely economical . There is always the exception to the rule isn't there?
OK then lets compare the Phillips with a new 40" Sharp LED

The new Sharp uses 48 watts therefore saves 67 watts per hour of use.

Sharp in calculating their annual usage appear to calculate on 4 hours per day.

So 67 x 4 x 365 = 97820 watts or 97.820 kw/hrs

To keep it in nice round figures lets say the Phillips uses 100 kw/hrs more than the new LED TV.

I pay 8.8 p/kwhr so my saving would be £8.80 per year.

If you pay X cents per kw/hr then you will save €X per year, nice easy calculation

A saving of £8.80 per year is going to take an awful lot of years to make buying a new TV financially worth while.

To take it even further if I watched TV 24/7 then I would save £52.80 per year.

Still a lot of years to make it worthwhile

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.