Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

A Life in the UK or Spain?

A Life in the UK or Spain?

Old Feb 15th 2010, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

SaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: A Life in the UK or Spain?

You are right, and this is basically the argument for forgetting about who invaded who, and when, and just get on with our lives! As people have said on here already, in the western world we really don't realise how lucky we are.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 11:23 am
Just Joined

azor the mighty is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TheLostPhotographer

I didn't know that!

Personally, I have not withdrawn any allegiance from the UK. Not sure I really had any to withdraw from. But, to withdraw oneself from their native country compared to a person who migrates to another country isn't really any different is it?
It would seem from the definition of expatriate that most Brits here really should be defined as immigrants as they most certainly haven't withdrawn allegiance to their native country. And why should they? Assuming they had any to start with, that is.
And then there are those fleeing from debts, the long arm of the law, Child Support Agency etc.?
They would definitely qualify as expatriates as their stay here is a form of self-banishment, wouldn't they?
As for integration......since we lived in caves and invented language, we have learnt to discriminate. It's an innate human tendency, imo and generally a harmless one.
Discrimination in the form of sexism, racism and homophobia etc. is another matter and it's not at all the same kind of sentiment that propels British immigrants to Spain to form whist clubs, pensioners' groups etc.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SaritaBarcelona
I always say that to racist family members when they start spouting off... "If England hadn't invaded... (add name of pillaged country)"
Try one of these: Germany, Italy, Libya, Burma, Algeria, Ethiopia and a whole load more who were all "pillaged".

Jim
Old Feb 15th 2010, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

SaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of light

Iraq? Afghanistan? Iran-in-waiting? Oops, getting too political now!
Old Feb 15th 2010, 5:40 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SaritaBarcelona
Iraq? Afghanistan? Iran-in-waiting? Oops, getting too political now!
Let's hope they don't bring in the WMDs. (Weasels of Massive Deceit, Warmongering Murderous Destroyers...)
Old Feb 15th 2010, 5:53 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
You are starting to sound like Hitler

However, you could say Spain and the UK quite "deserve" all these immigrants since both countries have benefitted so much throughout history of the back of controlling and pillaging other regions of the world.
Name me a country not guilty of it.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 5:54 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Come on guys, lets keep on topic please
Old Feb 15th 2010, 6:05 pm
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Come on guys, lets keep on topic please
Yes. To keep on topic I would say that in 20 years time, maybe 30??? The difference between the UK and Spain will be the climate and thats all!! In fact I reckon that even the language will be pretty much "watered down" with other european languages and become more or less "integrated"

Jo xxx
Old Feb 15th 2010, 6:13 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

It´s official, I´m integrated..........my Mum told me!
I was talking to my Mother on the phone and I don´t know how long I´ve been doing it but she pointed out that I finish most sentences with the word "no". I say "yes no?", "no no?" and tend to stick the word "no" onto pretty much everything.
Anyone else that wants to know if they´re integrated let me know and I´ll ask my Mum!
Old Feb 16th 2010, 7:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojojojojojojojojo
Yes. To keep on topic I would say that in 20 years time, maybe 30??? The difference between the UK and Spain will be the climate and thats all!! In fact I reckon that even the language will be pretty much "watered down" with other european languages and become more or less "integrated"

Jo xxx
You're saying we'll all be speaking German??
Old Feb 16th 2010, 7:41 am
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

You're saying we'll all be speaking German??

I doubt they'll be any "german" language - they'll probably be pockets of people who'll try to keep "indigenous" languages alive - as there are now with other dying "tongues"! But in the main I suspect English will be predominantly spoken - for whatever reason - America I suspect. Like it or like it not, it seems to be the international business language with a few other favourite words and phrases thrown in (oh dear, this forum will want to argue this one wont it!!). But when you see the numbers of Spanish kids at international schools now, whose families are prepared to pay for them to get an English spoken education and most of the "institutes" around here have full bilingual classes - english - not to be confused with "english lessons". It seems to be where its heading.

So yes, I think Europe is going to be an amalgam - the towns and cities will all be the same - I think its a shame, but it seems to be heading that way

Jo xxx
Old Feb 16th 2010, 7:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt they'll be any "german" language - they'll probably be pockets of people who'll try to keep "indigenous" languages alive - as there are now with other dying "tongues"! But in the main I suspect English will be predominantly spoken - for whatever reason - America I suspect. Like it or like it not, it seems to be the international business language with a few other favourite words and phrases thrown in (oh dear, this forum will want to argue this one wont it!!). But when you see the numbers of Spanish kids at international schools now, whose families are prepared to pay for them to get an English spoken education and most of the "institutes" around here have full bilingual classes - english - not to be confused with "english lessons". It seems to be where its heading.

So yes, I think Europe is going to be an amalgam - the towns and cities will all be the same - I think its a shame, but it seems to be heading that way

Jo xxx
There are only Spanish kids in English international schools in the poor areas of the country that depend on tourism. And still, there are not that many.

There are 4 languages in Spain which Spanish people hold very dear to their hearts. If in 30 years time we are all speaking English in Spain it would have to be after a very bloody war
Old Feb 16th 2010, 8:12 am
Banned

There are only Spanish kids in English international schools in the poor areas of the country that depend on tourism. And still, there are not that many.
I totally disagree with that one!!! The school fees are extortionate (700€ a month per child). The type of cars the Spanish drive to the school are all very expensive - BMWs, Audis, Mercs, Porshes - mostly 4x4s and top of the range (my son is into cars and is very jealous!) and they all seem to have at least two or three kids at the school. Málaga (where our school is) is not a poor area of the country, it may rely on tourism to a point, but that isnt why these people are sending their kids there - they want them to be more than just bilingual waiters. And, as I say, even the local state schools are all starting to operate bilingual classes - not for the British either, my daughter goes to a state school and isnt allowed to join the Bilingual classes

Jo xxx
Old Feb 16th 2010, 8:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

There are 4 languages in Spain which Spanish people hold very dear to their hearts. If in 30 years time we are all speaking English in Spain it would have to be after a very bloody war
Agree, however I think a lot will be speaking a watered down Spanish, peppered with lots of English words and expressions. Already there are a huge number of English words used in IT, and in business in general. I've read several articles where academics have been moaning about the use of English words, or worse Spanglish, when there are perfectly good Spanish words than could be used. It's good that they want to keep the language pure, but it isn't going to happen, all languages evolve with time.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 8:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

I totally disagree with that one!!! The school fees are extortionate (700€ a month per child). The type of cars the Spanish drive to the school are all very expensive - BMWs, Audis, Mercs, Porshes -
I don't know what the fees are, but friends of ours have 3 properties in Spain, retired at 50, so well off, but they still moan like hell about the fees! And yes, they arrive in one of their 4x4's, usually the Jeep!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.