Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Life Imitating Art

Life Imitating Art

Old Oct 27th 2011, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Life Imitating Art

I saw a news item last night about a man from the poorest state in India who has just won $1M on their version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire - shades of Slumdog Millionaire!

Have any of you had events in your life which have mirrored the plot of a film or book?

I've been called Shirley Valentine more times than I care to remember because I met my OH on a tiny Greek island, co-incidentally in the same year the film came out.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 8:07 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Life Imitating Art

I've been stupidly called Lorna Doone several times because of the book title, but not by anybody who has actually read it.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Not that I can think of right now, but I almost always, when saying my name to someone for the first time, trot out "Fiona -como la princesa en Shrek!" .... usually gets a laugh, breaks the ice and they know my name from that point on!
Old Oct 27th 2011, 9:14 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
Not that I can think of right now, but I almost always, when saying my name to someone for the first time, trot out "Fiona -como la princesa en Shrek!" .... usually gets a laugh, breaks the ice and they know my name from that point on!
I've had allsorts.

Lorna - oh is that Lorena?
No
I am not a Lorraine

What's your name? Norma?
No. It's Lorna .... elle-oh-rrr-enne- eh

What's your name? Gorna ???? ha ha ha ha ha - from people who know. Gorna means a bloody drainpipe in Italian but it's also a nickname for one who likes to drink much.

One old guy even asked me if my name was nonna - the Italian for Grandma.

Italians also like their diminuitives like casa/casetta .... macchina/macchinetta ...... piccola/piccolina.

I'm slim so some Italian friends have taken my name and Italinised it to Lornina or Lornetta.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 5:59 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
You would think that my name would be easy but one of my friends sends text messages with it spelt Ros Meri and no matter how many I send her signed with the correct spelling it does not changed. One of my elderly neighbours spent ages with Graham one day trying to teach him how to say my name correctly because of course we do not say all of the vowels and not in the same way and also have different emphasis. Great fun to watch, especially because she was getting frustrated with him getting it wrong and he could not see why he was wrong.

Rosemary
Old Oct 28th 2011, 6:10 am

Ros Meri

Reminds me of the Italians who call cold roast beef .... ros bif
Old Oct 28th 2011, 2:14 pm
Spanish, 40

evamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to behold

After almost 11 years living in the UK I still have friends -not even getting at people I just meet- calling me "iva" or "eiva" instead of Eva. I try to say like Emma but with a B, eba.

... Nothing works... only 3 people here call me by my real name... Of course they could call me worse things, most of them true...