Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

A life in Ibiza--advice

A life in Ibiza--advice

Old Jul 20th 2017, 9:06 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A life in Ibiza--advice

Originally Posted by DublintoIbiza
It's not something i had thought about in great detail as i didn't think it was as complicated as others seem to suggest.I take it it's not as simple as upping my current health insurance to take in international cover.
No because your current insurance is UK based, and you will be Spain based, so a new policy will be needed.
Old Jul 20th 2017, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

DublintoIbiza is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by morpeth
Depends a lot on the children in terms of their aptitude and diligence. We had one child move to a new country/school/language at that age- first year very difficult, by second year somewhat tolerable- by third year everything fine. We found that non-school activities helped enormously in the child becoming comfortable in the new language, in our case it was football. We also "forced" immersion, no English language television nor movies, and we secured a secondary school student to tutor the child regularly along with the school. We didn't allow our children to play video games, but if you do, then perhaps have them play the Spanish version. We would watch films , initially with subtitles in the local language before the move, The Spanish accent is a pain in the neck ( compared to say Mexican or Colombian accents). You may also consider carefully whether a private or government school more appropriate in terms of language immersion. We also chose a location with the least amount of foreigners so that child had more opportunity to be surrounded by the local language.

My wife teaches Spanish online at university level, often with some of her students she locates students at same age in Spanish-speaking country she is from to practice with the student via Skype- one conversation to practice Spanish, one to practice English. Seems to work well with younger students to get them used to language and realize the similarities in youth culture any where.

Good luck !

That sounds like a great idea and will be something i will try organise for the kids when they get to that point when it is possible for them to hold even a little bit of conversation.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 9:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DublintoIbiza
That sounds like a great idea and will be something i will try organise for the kids when they get to that point when it is possible for them to hold even a little bit of conversation.
It seemed to work well, as the young found similar interests to chat about.

In our own family we had one child who had to switch languages for school- when we made the decision from that day forward each and every day besides tutoring or learning online , we made sure daily child was exposed to the language every morning and every evening.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the discussion so far has been about the problems that the kids may have -- which is certainly legitimate. But it seems to me the major problem will be employment. As has been mentioned, the job market is very tough in Spain, especially if you are not fluent in Spanish.

Will you earn enough with the rental income from your properties in Dublin to survive indefinitely?

- Eric S.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

DublintoIbiza is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm fairly confident we could live if there are no issues in the housing market,but what is the likelihood of that.The idea, in my head anyway,was for both myself and my wife to find part time employment in order to dig a little less into savings and money coming in from the properties but also because we want to have something to do everyday as well as integrate with the local community as much as possible.

What seems clear atm is that while our move will still go ahead we need to explore all aspects of it in more detail and then decide When is the right time to make the move.