Reload this Page >

Licence exchange complication

Licence exchange complication

Old May 24th 2021, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

Eljaykemi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Licence exchange complication

Hello all,

I am self employed in Spain, i have several vehicles all insured, all up to date with the circulation tax, ITV etc etc....

I was given my oficial residency in january (the TIE). Unfortunately i never swapped my UK drivers licence for a spanish one in trafico before the 31 of december. I was pulled over last week by the guardia civil and they said to me that i have until the 2nd of june to change my drivers licence to a spanish one. Well, unfortunately, according to my gestor, internet articles and the information given on the website of the DGT, i have to take a driving test, a medical test and pay a driving school their fees. The overall cost will be about 350€ according to the lady i spoke to the in the driving school. She told me that all this will be a process that could take up to between 4 to 6 months!!!!!! The guardia civil have told be that i have up to the 2nd of june to change it. I am paying taxes and the self employed social security fee every month and if i cant drive i wount be able to do my job. I will lose all my customers. Apparently the fine of not having the correct drivers licence can be anywhere between 100 to 3000€!!!!!!!!

Help me please what can i do to get out of this mess?? Surely their is something i can do.

Any help will be greatly apprechiated.

Many thanks.
Old May 24th 2021, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Licence exchange complication

Unfortunately the information you were given is true. You have no choice but to do the test. It cannot be remedied by saying you didn't know or are a legal tax resident. You will need to do the test. My ex did it. Yes it will cost about 350 euros for lessons and test and you might have to register with a school. I assume you speak Spanish ?
Old May 24th 2021, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

Yes, i speak spanish. I dont have any problem with doing the test. The only problem is, being able to carry out my work without getting caught and given a hefty fine from the police. I have heard that maybe i can take out an international drivers permit which would be valid for up to 12 months. Apparently that could cover me whilst im going through the process of getting my spanish drivers licence. It would be a sort of get out of trouble method no?
Old May 24th 2021, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

No it would not An IDP is just a translation of your existing licence it is NOT a driving licence in itself
Old May 24th 2021, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

So in the long and short of it all, after the 2nd of june, if i am stopped i am going to recieve a fine for not having the correct drivers licence and there´s no way of getting round it?
Old May 24th 2021, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eljaykemi
So in the long and short of it all, after the 2nd of june, if i am stopped i am going to recieve a fine for not having the correct drivers licence and there´s no way of getting round it?
If you get stopped after being already cautioned then you might get more than a fine. It would then be a criminal activity!! You could be banned from driving!!
You have to just fo the test. Register with a school and get studying the theory. You keep practicing the test until you score the percentage ( 98%). Then the practical which shouldn't be hard if you are an experienced driver. No other way I am afraid but definitely dont risk driving until you have it.
Old May 24th 2021, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

Ok, but what about my work in the meantime. I have to drive to earn my living. Its essential. I cant just stop driving for 4-6 months just because i dont have a spanish licence. Tomorrow i´m going to start the process. Would it be an acceptable excuse to say that i unfortuntely missed the deadline date to swap my UK drivers licence but im currently going through the process of obtaining my spanish one and keep the application papers in the glove box of my vehicle to prove it? The police know that its not an overnight process and that it takes a while to do. Not allowing me to drive would impide me from doing my job. Brexit is a complicated situation and i believe there should be allowances for complicated situations like this.
Old May 24th 2021, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

I dont understand what part of it would take 4-6 months ? Did the lady at the driving school know that you can already drive and its just that you need to change your licence, so unfortunatly you need to take a spanish test ?

im not sure they would let you 'just book a test' because in effect, you have to forget everything you know and drive like a local ...
Old May 24th 2021, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

Ive got no problem at all of doing it legally. Thats what i want to do. But according to the lady in the office of the driving school, its a waiting game due to the fact that many others have already book appointments for the theory and for the actual driving test and are still waiting. Apparently, in august theres no tests due to the holidays so its considered a lost month. Like i said, after the 2nd of june ill be driving illegally due to obtaining my residency 6 months prior and therefore i wont be able to do my work. I do atleast 800km a week! Today is the 24th of may! I have to do everything a beginner has to do, theory and test. No one who swapped their licence in trafico had to do all this. It all seems ridiculous to me.
Old May 24th 2021, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

lindasal is an unknown quantity at this point

I wonder if I may ask has anyone took the Spanish driving test and what are their experiences, we are hoping to move to Spain early next year and would be very grateful for any advice on English speaking driving schools and perhaps an English speaking driving examiner as I very doubt my Spanish would be good enough for a few years. Thanks in advance
Old May 24th 2021, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eljaykemi
I cant just stop driving for 4-6 months just because i dont have a spanish licence.
And yet you must, there is no other option open to you.

You should also consider that without a valid licence your insurance could be invalid, speak to your insurer tomorrow.
Old May 24th 2021, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Not wishing to pile on the agony but when you do pass the Spanish test you will be given the status of a new driver with only 6 points on your licence and obliged to display P plates.

This may have an impact on your insurance.
Old May 24th 2021, 4:44 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I must point out that this whole situation can easiliy be resolved by a simple unilteral agreeemnt between Spain and the UK to continue to allow licence exchange. Sadly Boris and his Merry Men are more concerned at the moment about naughty Brits having the timerity to travel to Spain for a well deserved holiday when the Spanish allow it but Boris doesnt think its a good idea, unless it is essential, like an eyetest in Specsavers in Benidorm.

I understand that they have the same problem in France.

Old May 24th 2021, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

So ill have to close my business then because i wont be able to deliver my products? Where is the common sense in that? I have employees that need paying too! So they are going to have to lose their jobs because of a simple fact of not being able to drive because i never exchanged my drivers licence? I have rent to pay bills to pay and driving is an essential part of my business. Look how many people this is going to affect. To stop driving for 4-6 months is just not possible. Driving is my livelyhood. Theres surely a way around this. They just cant impide people from living normal lives. Im not a retiree or on holiday here. I have a business that needs maintaining. The government must understand the situation i have here.
Old May 24th 2021, 4:56 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps you will need to employ a driver until it gets sorted out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.