Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

licence to drive a ciclomoto

licence to drive a ciclomoto

Old Jul 30th 2012, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

MaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really nice
Default licence to drive a ciclomoto

My 17 year old has just passed his theory and practical to drive a moped - 50cc.

After the practical we werent given any bits of paper but were told that they would be at the scooter school within a few days.
Its been nearly 2 weeks and my son is tearing my hair out as i wont let him drive without proof that he has passed. Is there a temporary bit of paper i should have got or is this wait normal
Old Jul 30th 2012, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: licence to drive a ciclomoto

Probably normal, it's holiday season! Is the office still open? if so send him round there to kick ass.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

MaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really nice

I went to the school and apparently we are waiting for the comprobante which is the temporary certificate.
Well he will go there every day until they give him something!!

Still unsure about insurance though - should i pay loads and be correct or should I go spanish and do it the 'way the locals do' - parents name on the insurance and hope the insurance company will pay out
Old Jul 30th 2012, 5:13 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MaryJones
I went to the school and apparently we are waiting for the comprobante which is the temporary certificate.
Well he will go there every day until they give him something!!

Still unsure about insurance though - should i pay loads and be correct or should I go spanish and do it the 'way the locals do' - parents name on the insurance and hope the insurance company will pay out
My son recently passed his test at 15 (this January) - so, been there, done that, got the T-shirt ....

When he passed the test, he should have been given something but it doesn't matter. If he does get stopped, then a simple call to school or to trafico should suffice. The carnet will arrive eventually!

Regarding insurance - hmmmmm. We asked everyone about this. The Spanish way is to get father/mother to insure the bike (nothing else). We asked the Guardia about this and they said that from their stand point, providing the bike was insured, so what! We mentioned that our son was not on the insurance and he repeated - "so what".

What we have now done, is to insure the moped in my name but have added my son as a named driver - much better and much safer (cost about 350 euros).
Old Jul 30th 2012, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

we've been quoted 600 to have our son as a named driver. We'd prefer to do it that way in case he totals someone elses vehicle! Who did you insure with as 350 sounds much nicer!
Old Jul 31st 2012, 7:31 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

we've been quoted 600 to have our son as a named driver. We'd prefer to do it that way in case he totals someone elses vehicle! Who did you insure with as 350 sounds much nicer!
I have a full motorbike licence as well as a full car licence which may make a difference?

Anyway, we looked around and found that Zurich was the cheapest.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

My husband and I both have full bike licences too. In fact to insure the moto Guzzi 1100 is the same as insuring the 50cc scooter for us.
Thank you for the info, I will start to ring around
Old Jul 31st 2012, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

About three years ago I was quoted about €350 from Mapfre
Old Jul 31st 2012, 10:46 am
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by billgates
About three years ago I was quoted about €350 from Mapfre
For us, MAPFRE would not add my son (15) to the policy stating;
  1. It would be too expensive (surely that's my decision?)
  2. Not done by the Spanish
  3. Not required by Guardia
  4. In all probability, in the case of an accident, we would still pay out (yeah, right!!!)
Old Aug 5th 2012, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

An update - he has his comprobante and so can drive. The 'proper' licence will take while to come through. But, at least he is now mobile. Husband is following him around the local routes on his bike and giving him hazard perception lessons.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

An update - he has his comprobante and so can drive. The 'proper' licence will take while to come through. But, at least he is now mobile. Husband is following him around the local routes on his bike and giving him hazard perception lessons.
That's a brilliant idea and will probably save his or someone else's life or health.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, its all very well saying they can take their licence at the age of 15 and then make insurance so high because of the high risks- but when the test is alot of theory and then wiggling through a couple of cones and braking on a line... We thought it was a good idea to tail him around 'his' normal routes and going a little further each time. Then we can give him a lesson about placement on the road, hazard perceptions etc.
We're bike riders ourselves and know how car drivers can be!
Old Aug 7th 2012, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a car driver myself, but know how bike riders can be!
Old Aug 7th 2012, 10:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

In general neither has respect for the other.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by billgates
I'm a car driver myself, but know how bike riders can be!
lol yes, bike drivers can be bad too. And dont get me onto cyclists....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.