LGBT Spain

Old Mar 29th 2017, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

Lookingforthesun1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default LGBT Spain

My wife and I are moving to Spain, both employed in a British School. What is Spain like as a general rule for the LGBT community? Are we going to get harrassed in the streets (we have experienced a lot of this in the Netherlands where we have been for the past year) etc?

We are moving to Costa Blanca but obviously will travel all over.

Any advice or info would be gratefully recieved!
Old Mar 29th 2017, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

avocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud of
Default Re: LGBT Spain

Unfortunately, a very homophobic society.

Out in the countryside you'll be treated with great suspicion, (if you're a gay male) you'll be considered a paedo. Of course it's also assumed that you're into bestiality also.

Even in the cities like Madrid you can get beaten up also.

At carnaval in LAs Palmas de GRan Canaria, a gay guy (unconfirmed) was murdered a few weeks ago.

You will be expected to tolerate verbal abuse on a regular basis. Although hate crimes exist, Spain is still a good 30 years behind UK. The police will do the bare minimum to assist. the courts even less.

Homophobia in School environment is a MASSIVE problem. Again, completely ignored by the authorities.

More people are reporting homophobic crimes every year, but it's really only the tip of the iceberg.

There is a long long way to go.

Spain is the only country that I've lived in that I have felt a need to fly the rainbow flag, in defiance to the Spanish scum. May 17th....don't forget.

P.S. Do your own thing and don't allow them to win. I'm in my 15th year here and wouldn't change a thing. But, I'm self-motivated and extremely confident, lol. I feel sorry for young gay girls/boys starting out as the intimidation can be soul destroying. As an old boy, I've developed thick skin over the years. They want a fight, they´ll get it, lol.

Last edited by avocados; Mar 29th 2017 at 2:20 pm. Reason: P.S.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 2:24 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lookingforthesun1
My wife and I are moving to Spain, both employed in a British School. What is Spain like as a general rule for the LGBT community? Are we going to get harrassed in the streets (we have experienced a lot of this in the Netherlands where we have been for the past year) etc?

I suspect it's no worse than most places, there is a big gay area in Benidorm and there doesn't seem to be any problems there.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

I know several gay guys who live in Spain, they don't seem to have any problems. Accepted as is. One thing I noticed immediately when I arrived in Sevilla, was how many gay and lesbians couples there were in town. From what I see Spain accepts differences more readily.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 3:10 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avocados

Out in the countryside you'll be treated with great suspicion, (if you're a gay male) you'll be considered a paedo. Of course it's also assumed that you're into bestiality also.

At carnaval in LAs Palmas de GRan Canaria, a gay guy (unconfirmed) was murdered a few weeks ago.

You will be expected to tolerate verbal abuse on a regular basis. Although hate crimes exist, Spain is still a good 30 years behind UK. The police will do the bare minimum to assist. the courts even less.

Homophobia in School environment is a MASSIVE problem. Again, completely ignored by the authorities.

More people are reporting homophobic crimes every year, but it's really only the tip of the iceberg.

Spain is the only country that I've lived in that I have felt a need to fly the rainbow flag, in defiance to the Spanish scum. May 17th....don't forget.

P.S. Do your own thing and don't allow them to win. I'm in my 15th year here and wouldn't change a thing. But, I'm self-motivated and extremely confident, lol. I feel sorry for young gay girls/boys starting out as the intimidation can be soul destroying. As an old boy, I've developed thick skin over the years. They want a fight, they´ll get it, lol.
Just read your other comment on the injury thread & I take it that you do not like Spain then ?

In my village no one (that I have ever seen) bats an eyelid at gays & as has been said Benidorm has a large gay community (and Xativa our nearest big town)

Medical likewise is never an issue with an ambulance/doctor/nurse in the medical center 24/7 and often rush here & there when called.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 3:22 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing that I have noticed here in Spain is that in general people are extremely tolerant. Granted some of the older people may be less tolerant but the rest seem to be of a very accepting nature. Live and let live appears to be the motto no matter what the issue may be.

Rosemary
Old Mar 29th 2017, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

I can confirm that Benidorm is one of the most tolerant cities in Spain towards the LGBT communities. I have never heard of any harassment towards gay people.

Benidorm "Old Town" has loads of gay bars and there is never any trouble aimed towards them. We have several gay friends and they have never complained of any abusive behaviour.

Steve
Old Mar 29th 2017, 8:40 pm
Banned

tuhler is an unknown quantity at this point

This going to definitely going to depend where you plan to live..
One post here paints an extreme view and somewhat rare...but...up here you would not last 6 mins
Old Mar 30th 2017, 7:43 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
The only thing that I have noticed here in Spain is that in general people are extremely tolerant. Granted some of the older people may be less tolerant but the rest seem to be of a very accepting nature. Live and let live appears to be the motto no matter what the issue may be.

Rosemary
No problem around here either (so they say).
Old Mar 30th 2017, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

The reason I have a place in Spain is as direct result of a gay friend and his partner who had an apartment in Oliva who we used to visit.
When out with them we never saw any homophobic behaviour and they would not have bought a place if that were the case.
In the years since we purchased, I have noticed no difference in attitudes between Spain and the UK.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 8:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Referring to the locals as "Spanish scum" may give us a clue as to one poster's convictions.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

fawinds is just really nicefawinds is just really nicefawinds is just really nicefawinds is just really nicefawinds is just really nicefawinds is just really nicefawinds is just really nicefawinds is just really nicefawinds is just really nicefawinds is just really nice

Originally Posted by avocados

What a load of rubbish in this post. Do you want to meet intolerant people? Then go to certain English cities after the Brexit vote. 30 years behind the UK? Well, I understand same sex marriages existed in Spain before than in the UK. Then we can discuss stuff like trains (yes, the UK is one of the few countries without high speed). What about motorways? Going from Edinburgh to Dover using the A1 is a nightmare. Just some stretches are motorway. Do you want me to continue?
Old Mar 30th 2017, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

rspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond repute

"Do you want me to continue? " - No but it would be good if you were accurate and compare like with like. The UK has a high speed line which goes from the centre of London to the Channel tunnel. Try travelling from Valencia to the French border, also a nightmare unless you pay the roughly 45 euros in tolls.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 7:43 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Rosemary
Old Mar 31st 2017, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

Gay Pride Sitges 2017 – Pride by the Mediterranean Sea – June 8th to 12th 2017

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.