Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Level of Violence in Spain

Level of Violence in Spain

Old Jul 15th 2014, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

NKing is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Level of Violence in Spain

Good afternoon all, I'm a new member and this is my first post!! Perhaps this is more for discussion than specific advice or information. Having lived in two countries (Scotland and Canada) for most of my life, I have always known about random acts of violence. When I read the newspapers, it's difficult not to become overwhelmed by it all and keep a sense of proportion. But it seems to me that in the UK there's never a day passes without someone being subjected to 'home raids,' beatings, and senseless violence. It's the same in Toronto - possibly more shootings, given the availability of guns, but every day there's something news on this subject. I pick up Spanish newspapers almost daily, including local newspapers written in English and I don't get the same feeling about life in Spain. I don't live in a vacuum and know only too well that Eutopia doesn't exist, but I'm just curious as to what others think...

I would say that there are marginally less people found drunk on the streets of Toronto (not by much though) and the hospitals are overwhelmed. As a previous poster mentioned, the health service in Ontario is abysmal. But I digress...

Any thoughts??
Old Jul 15th 2014, 6:07 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Level of Violence in Spain

Originally Posted by NKing
Good afternoon all, I'm a new member and this is my first post!! Perhaps this is more for discussion than specific advice or information. Having lived in two countries (Scotland and Canada) for most of my life, I have always known about random acts of violence. When I read the newspapers, it's difficult not to become overwhelmed by it all and keep a sense of proportion. But it seems to me that in the UK there's never a day passes without someone being subjected to 'home raids,' beatings, and senseless violence. It's the same in Toronto - possibly more shootings, given the availability of guns, but every day there's something news on this subject. I pick up Spanish newspapers almost daily, including local newspapers written in English and I don't get the same feeling about life in Spain. I don't live in a vacuum and know only too well that Eutopia doesn't exist, but I'm just curious as to what others think...

I would say that there are marginally less people found drunk on the streets of Toronto (not by much though) and the hospitals are overwhelmed. As a previous poster mentioned, the health service in Ontario is abysmal. But I digress...

Any thoughts??
Hi and welcome to the forum,

Are you planning on moving to Spain?
Old Jul 16th 2014, 4:01 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Level of Violence in Spain

Any thoughts??
Any thoughts about what exactly?? Violence in general? the difference in violence between Scotland and Canada or violence in Spain or even why doesn't utopia exist?? Confused.com
Old Jul 16th 2014, 9:05 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

A rather strange topic but it exists, doesn’t it? I grew up in central Scotland, just to the east of Glasgow, among daily violence and loved it because I didn’t know any better. I moved to East London when my wife kept on producing babies as though it was going out of fashion and loved it. I fought on the terraces of Upton Park and still miss it, now that I’m old.

It’s hard to have a punch up in Spain, there’s no one to have a punch up with. There used to be a Celtic pub in Benidorm, in the main drag, but they didn’t want to fight, they were just a load of silly Paddies that got pissed every day.

My town is full of Madrilenos for the summer, loud people full of bravado until you front them, and then they run for it. I love them all.
Old Jul 16th 2014, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Where we live I have yet to see violence in any form, but should we venture down to the "costa Brit" I wouldn't be so blasé. Having said that am sure there are problems here, it is quite poor, but so far quite tranquil.
Old Jul 16th 2014, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

Thank you all for the input - and I can echo the comments of HBG above. I loved many aspects of living in the UK (Glasgow specifically) -- the humour is what I miss most. But as I get older I'd rather not be bombarded every day with what in my opinion are horror stories. In denial? Perhaps. I tend to think of it more as living 'the serenity prayer' and knowing what I can't change.

I plan on moving to Spain within the next couple of years and I'm fervently hoping that the economy and living standards improve for all and secondly that I can continue my life there without ever present threats. I was chased across the street in Toronto recently (through traffic!) because I didn't give a panhandler enough money. Last year, someone was killed for the same reason. He tried to give the homeless person a coffee and snack. Apparently that wasn't quite what he wanted. Hmm, won't be sorry to leave that behind.
Old Jul 16th 2014, 3:15 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for the input - and I can echo the comments of HBG above. I loved many aspects of living in the UK (Glasgow specifically) -- the humour is what I miss most. But as I get older I'd rather not be bombarded every day with what in my opinion are horror stories. In denial? Perhaps. I tend to think of it more as living 'the serenity prayer' and knowing what I can't change.

I plan on moving to Spain within the next couple of years and I'm fervently hoping that the economy and living standards improve for all and secondly that I can continue my life there without ever present threats. I was chased across the street in Toronto recently (through traffic!) because I didn't give a panhandler enough money. Last year, someone was killed for the same reason. He tried to give the homeless person a coffee and snack. Apparently that wasn't quite what he wanted. Hmm, won't be sorry to leave that behind.
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. I am the Concierge for the Spanish section and thought that you might find it helpful to know that the moderators for the Spanish forums are Fred James and Bevs, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jul 16th 2014, 3:26 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pwwm
Where we live I have yet to see violence in any form, but should we venture down to the "costa Brit" I wouldn't be so blasé. Having said that am sure there are problems here, it is quite poor, but so far quite tranquil.
I know that living in a small town where everyone knows everyone and they can tell you a whole family history when you only mention one person is not really an example but like you I have seen nothing. During falla in our first year here I found that I could see over peoples head when I stood on a particular step and all of a sudden there were about a dozen or so young boisterous young men in front of and on both sides of this step. I did not feel threatened at all, in fact I felt very comfortable and since then I have had lots of experiences whereby if I was elsewhere I might have been extremely nervous but here I am not. I happily go to the city on my own on a regular basis and never have a problem.

As for beggars in the city, if I refuse to give them anything they are alright about it and if I give them a small amount of money they always thank me enthusiastically, in fact a few weeks ago I was called a princess by one of them.

Rosemary
Old Jul 16th 2014, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

I was in Barcelona a couple of years ago during La Fiesta de la Merce. I was quite taken aback by the experience. Lots of people, all having a good time (some more alchohol induced than others) but not once did I feel threatened. I saw young guys dancing with women old enough to be their grannies and that was such a joy to behold! A few weeks previously, I'd watched a group of 18-20 year olds swear and then attempt to kick the living daylights out of an older man who was merely trying to get past them to the bus stop....
Old Jul 16th 2014, 4:23 pm
Account Closed

IamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond repute

I can honestly say I haven´t seen any violence during my time in Spain. That said, I needed to take a look at a mans eye to assess for damage. He was Scottish and got into a bar brawl with some English the previous night.
I think a big big difference in Spain to the UK is though a lot of alcohol is consumed, the wine is bloody marvelous, it´s also respected. A big plus for the Spanish culture!
The only drunk people I seem to see around here, and I´m sorry to say, are the Brit´s.
Avoid them, and you´ll avoid the violence!
Old Jul 19th 2014, 1:51 am
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Madrid and I've very rarely seen anything violent but that's not to say it isn't happening but I don't believe the violent crime rate is high over her, it's just not in the Spanish nature to be violent. Can't say I'm liking the sound of violence over in Toronto.....I've accepted a job offer in Canada lol.
Old Jul 19th 2014, 8:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat095 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Madridboy
I live in Madrid and I've very rarely seen anything violent but that's not to say it isn't happening but I don't believe the violent crime rate is high over her, it's just not in the Spanish nature to be violent. Can't say I'm liking the sound of violence over in Toronto.....I've accepted a job offer in Canada lol.
I agree in my 24 years in Madrid I've seen exactly one public fight !

However I do think that its also to do with how such things are reported. When I first came here there was virtually no crime news at all in the papers but like most social affairs Spain has managed to catch up with the rest of the world and crime is reported a bit more now

The one thing I appreciate here in Madrid's suburbs is when you see a crowd of young Spanish guys you don't need to worry too much about being assaulted by them for your mobile.

However I do think levels of violence are on the increase here in Spain
Old Jul 19th 2014, 8:55 am
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfh

However I do think that its also to do with how such things are reported. When I first came here there was virtually no crime news at all in the papers but like most social affairs Spain has managed to catch up with the rest of the world and crime is reported a bit more now

The one thing I appreciate here in Madrid's suburbs is when you see a crowd of young Spanish guys you don't need to worry too much about being assaulted by them for your mobile.

That reminded me of when I moved to France from the UK. I remember being in Bergerac one day and saw a good sized group of teenagers hanging around next to the church when more of them turned up on mopeds. The first thing that came to mind was this is going to get rowdy. The boys that had been sat outside went up to the moped boys and gave them the 2 cheek kiss and they all just quietly chatted and shared food & drinks................it just goes to show how we perceive people based on our own experiences.

With regards to levels of violence on the increase I couldn't agree more. It doesn't help that the Spanish (through their good natured and trusting selves) can be a bit on the naive side of things and really quite gullible. The crisis hasn't helped ether, it's a shame to see what the government's forced people into doing just to keep a roof over their heads and food on the table.
Old Jul 19th 2014, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by mfh

Originally Posted by Madridboy
It is good to read these posts because I have often wondered whether it is different in the capital city in comparrison to my little backwater.

Rosemary
Old Jul 19th 2014, 9:27 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Never saw any violence when we lived in Spain, and actuaslly felt safeer there than the UK, never had any problems with passing groups of youths in the streets, whereas in the UK I would conciously cross the road so that we didn't meet. Having said that, now I'm back in the UK, where we live have never felt threatened in any way, even when there are large groups of young people.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.