Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Leishmaniasis (by sandlfies) update ?

Leishmaniasis (by sandlfies) update ?

Old Oct 19th 2013, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

sam54140 has a brilliant futuresam54140 has a brilliant futuresam54140 has a brilliant futuresam54140 has a brilliant futuresam54140 has a brilliant futuresam54140 has a brilliant future
Default Leishmaniasis (by sandlfies) update ?

hi
anyone knows if vets in Spain are starting to provide the vaccine ?
seems it's now tested and effective;
http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVac.../ucm342667.htm

also what do you for yourselves against those sandflies during the dangerous months ?

thanks

''The study’s finding that an experimental vaccine triggers a stronger immune response in dogs than the commercial one is important because dogs are a major source of human infections in tropical areas. Dogs also occasionally spread the disease in Northern Europe, the United States, and Canada. Drug treatment usually fails to cure infections in dogs and remaining parasites tend to grow resistant to drug treatment. Dogs can then pass on these drug-resistant parasites to humans.

The FDA scientists compared the immunogenicity (ability to trigger immune responses) of the commercial vaccine (Leishmune®) in dogs with that of an experimental vaccine made from genetically modified and weakened live L. donovani parasites that lacked a critical gene called LdCen. Parasites lacking this gene (i.e., LdCen-/- parasites), cannot grow and reproduce inside the macrophage, and eventually die.

Dogs vaccinated with the LdCen-/- parasites had a stronger immune response than those receiving the commercial vaccine. Specifically, their immune system produced more anti bodies and immune system cells called lymphocytes. There was also increased production of certain key chemical signals released by lymphocytes that help stimulate the immune response.

Overall, the findings of FDA scientists demonstrated the potential of the LdCen-/- parasite as a canine vaccine against visceral leishmaniasis and suggest that it is a good candidate for further evaluation to demonstrate its safety and effectiveness.''
Old Oct 19th 2013, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leishmaniasis (by sandlfies) update ?

I replied to your other post, will add this here, at least one vet in the Chiclana area does the injections, a friends dogs had them last year and their boosters this year.
Old Oct 19th 2013, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

sam54140 has a brilliant futuresam54140 has a brilliant futuresam54140 has a brilliant futuresam54140 has a brilliant futuresam54140 has a brilliant futuresam54140 has a brilliant future

hi
then he must be using the 2013 vaccine, which implies several dosages then once a year booster indeed.
that one ?
http://www.virbac.ch/fr/kleintier/ca...d-us.-vet.html

not the Brazilian one I suppose then.
http://www.leishmune.com.br/
Old Oct 19th 2013, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I can remember yes, initially 3 injections spread over time then this year the booster. I have not read up on it, my dog has border line brown tick disease counts, negative for Leishmaniasis.
Old Nov 10th 2013, 10:16 am
Just Joined

aggboloke is an unknown quantity at this point

the leishmaniasis is incurably.
Old Nov 10th 2013, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Our vets are heavily advertising the availability in the surgery so I would have thought it would be available at all vets now.
Old Nov 10th 2013, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to point our friends at this post. Sadly their 7 month old pup had this about 2 months back and its costing them an arm and leg in vets bills for treatment!
Old Nov 11th 2013, 5:11 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aggboloke
the leishmaniasis is incurably.
Hola

There are apparently two types of Leishmaniasis - one of which can be arrested allowing the dog to live.

But the real point is that prevention is better than cure, so I had my dogs inoculated; three jabs the first year after a blood test, then an annual booster. One further point, the Leishmaniasis jab cannot be given at the same time as the other yearly jabs - there must be at least three weeks between them.

Davexf