Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Legality of Property

Legality of Property

Old Nov 8th 2009, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

SUPERPOT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Legality of Property

Can anyone confirm the fact that if an extension or property,example car port has been in place for 10 years or more (here in Spain)with no problem from the council then it is "perfectly" legal and can remain or is it down to the council to act upon it?
I am getting conflicting answers from different people and would like to clear an issue up.

any help from you law knowledgeable members would be very much appreciated.

regards,

Superpot
Old Nov 8th 2009, 8:25 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Legality of Property

Originally Posted by SUPERPOT
Can anyone confirm the fact that if an extension or property,example car port has been in place for 10 years or more (here in Spain)with no problem from the council then it is "perfectly" legal and can remain or is it down to the council to act upon it?
I am getting conflicting answers from different people and would like to clear an issue up.

regards,

Superpot
I've heard 7 and 10 years mentioned. I spoke to a Spanish builder, who's a good friend and has a large well-established company, and he says it's rubbish!

The council will do what the council wants - sorry
Old Nov 8th 2009, 9:04 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

There was an article (on here I think) about a family that owned a house since the 1900's, and they are now having it demolished as its illegal under the new coastal laws.

So I may be suprised again, but I would say logically if it's illegal its illegal
Old Nov 8th 2009, 9:23 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

And some were legal and are now illegal, you never know
Old Nov 8th 2009, 9:24 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
And some were legal and are now illegal, you never know
Yep, the one from the 1900's was legal with all documentation in place. Iirc the Priors house was absolutely legal but that made no difference
Old Nov 8th 2009, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

It seems that there is no general answer - you'd need to get specific advice about your particular case, in that one single area.
When I bought my house on the campo[1] it had a "newish" extension and a garage - both block-built onto an old, traditional house. I queried this with my local spanish solicitor and his response was that they had been there long enough to not need permission. Even though I have this opinion in writing, I am under no illusions that someone, somewhere could change their mind.

[1] although, strangely my single parcela is classified as urbano on the government website, even though all the ones around it are rustico and used for growing olive trees
Old Nov 8th 2009, 1:38 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

You even need a licence to paint your house. ;-))
Old Nov 8th 2009, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

carter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to allcarter71 is a name known to all

I've heard four years, after which you can't be fined. This happened to a friend of mine - the Town Hall couldn't fine her because her extension was more than four years old.

...so they just told her it would be knocked down anyway if she didn't pay a "legalisation" fee.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 6:06 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I’ve got no idea whether my house is legal or not, and nor does the lawyer I used ten years ago. The original driveway would have gone straight into the swimming pool and I can’t see any mention of the extensions.

I had a quick look at my escritura, that doesn’t appear to be legal either, the cheque I handed over was for double the value shown, and that’s without the contents of the brown envelope which took the seller a long time to count up.

I hate threads like this, they always make me hear the sound of bulldozers, even on a quiet Sunday evening.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 6:27 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by jdr
You even need a licence to paint your house. ;-))
I really dont know, nowadays
My neighbour just had a licence for a small terrace and car park area, which he is building himself.

It cost him €1000 in architect and town hall fees. He built a BBQ and small terrace for it a few years ago, and the town hall said he wouldnt have needed a licence for it.

Next year a new law comes in stating that you cant do work yourself!!!!! Its supposed to stop black money to builders. So you wont have the excuse "I built it myself" anymore, you have to use a "professional". Crazy!
Old Nov 9th 2009, 6:35 am
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Next year a new law comes in stating that you cant do work yourself!
Could you post more info or a link to this new law as it's something I've not heard about and affects me greatly! Ta.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 6:37 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
Could you post more info or a link to this new law as it's something I've not heard about and affects me greatly! Ta.
No I can't I'm afraid. This came to light when my neighbour was speaking to the architect and the town hall, it was them that told him of the new law. I believe it was due to come in during the summer
Old Nov 9th 2009, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
No I can't I'm afraid. This came to light when my neighbour was speaking to the architect and the town hall, it was them that told him of the new law. I believe it was due to come in during the summer
Judging from my workmanship that has saved a future innocent buyer a nightmare or two. Lol
Old Nov 11th 2009, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SUPERPOT

regards,

Superpot
Here`s another one for the pot ,I`ve heard that if an extension / lean to ,ie porch or car port only has one enclosed wall you dont need permission!!

The only safe way(err well the safest anyway) is to go to your town hall planning office and ask ,keep notes of names and dates/times etc for the future

If you are thinking of buying this property assume it will have to come down on your valuation then you wont be to disapointed if it happens
Old Nov 11th 2009, 2:09 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
Here`s another one for the pot ,I`ve heard that if an extension / lean to ,ie porch or car port only has one enclosed wall you dont need permission!!

The only safe way(err well the safest anyway) is to go to your town hall planning office and ask ,keep notes of names and dates/times etc for the future

If you are thinking of buying this property assume it will have to come down on your valuation then you wont be to disapointed if it happens
Sorry Rotor but that's also false according to our town hall.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.