Reload this Page >

Legalisation of bank statements for residency

Legalisation of bank statements for residency

Old Jan 4th 2020, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

moretti12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Legalisation of bank statements for residency

Hello everyone! Happy New Year =)

I intend on applying for the Spanish residency under the pretext of having "recursos suficientes". I work for a foreign company online, so I am providing my three months bank statements and savings account statement.

These bank accounts are from the UK - I am not sure if the statements need to be legalised? I called the embassy and the foreign office in Sevilla but no one is helping. On the website it says the following:

Cuando se aporten documentos de otros países deberán estar traducidos al castellano o lengua cooficial del territorio donde se presente la solicitud.

Por otro lado, todo documento público extranjero deberá ser previamente legalizado por la Oficina consular de España con jurisdicción en el país en el que se ha expedido dicho documento.
Are bank statements considered public documents? Or is that more like a marriage certificate or property deed?

Any shared experiences would be greatly appreciated!

On the embassy website it also states:

Which foreign documents can be legalised for their use in Spain?

The Legalisations Section of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation shall only admit:

- Original public documents

- Copies of these documents issued by the issuing body.

- Copies, certified by Spain's representations abroad, of documents that have previously been legalised through diplomatic channels or bear the apostille

Notarised copies

Last edited by moretti12; Jan 4th 2020 at 3:05 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2020, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Legalisation of bank statements for residency

Hi,

I think you will need to have a Spanish bank account and be able to provide proof of regular income for at least the previous 3 months and that it will be sufficient so you won't become a burden on the state.

Steve

Last edited by Rosemary; Jan 4th 2020 at 9:57 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2020, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Hi.

Bank statements need translating and stamping by a Notary (they are supposed to be sent from the bank not downloaded and printed at home) They are not public documents.

I have a copy of the required documents from our Solicitor who will be doing our residencia once we arrive in July.

For the Benidorm/Denia and Alicante offices you will need (and this is from a Spanish Solicitor) although others may argue that they have supplied different.

For all.
1. Original of ID (passport) and a copy
2. NIE and copy if you already have them
3. Passport sized photo
4. Padron cert (not more than 3 months old)
5. Application form
6. Processing fee paid at the bank.

As you are working.(although by the sounds of it you are paid by that company directly)
1. Registration with social security (Autonomos) and with the local tax office showing a minimum of 3 months contributions.
2. Recent "vida laboral" cert (not more than 7 days old) and you must bring your work contract and pay slips.

I have a feeling that you will struggle to get residence as I think you may not be paying tax or for your healthcare in Spain (correct me if I am wrong) as you state "under the pretext" I would suggest you seek proper legal advise before going any further.
So without a Spainish work contract etc you have no provable means of paying your way.

Old Jan 5th 2020, 9:47 am
Just Joined

moretti12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: Legalisation of bank statements for residency

Originally Posted by Barriej
Hi.

Bank statements need translating and stamping by a Notary (they are supposed to be sent from the bank not downloaded and printed at home) They are not public documents.
First of all thanks you everyone for the input!! I really appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

I received my original UK bank statements in the post which are stamped. If they are not considered public documents then they only need to be translated? If I get them notarised then surely I would need to get them legalised after? :/

Also, there are three conditions to be met to get residency:

1. Working in Spain
2. Student
3. Having sufficient funds <--- my case. The company I work for online is not Spanish and hence why would not be on the tax register. I will also be getting private health insurance. In the documents needed below it does not say it has to be a Spanish bank account... just need to prove I have money. My only question is whether to get this proof (aka bank statements) notarised, legalised and then authorised by the Spanish consulate in London?

• c) People who do not work in Spain must produce documentation proving that they comply with the following two conditions:
  • i. Public or private health insurance contracted in Spain or in another country, provided that it ensures cover in Spain during their period of residence equivalent to the cover provided by the National Health System.
  • ii. have sufficient resources, for themselves and their family members, not to become a burden on Spain’s social assistance system during their period of residence. Proof of the possession of sufficient resources, whether from regular income, including work income or income of another kind, or from ownership of assets, will be given by any legally admissible evidence, such as property deeds, certified cheques, documentation proving that income from capital is received or credit cards.
Old Jan 5th 2020, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moretti12
First of all thanks you everyone for the input!! I really appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

I received my original UK bank statements in the post which are stamped. If they are not considered public documents then they only need to be translated? If I get them notarised then surely I would need to get them legalised after? :/

Also, there are three conditions to be met to get residency:

1. Working in Spain
2. Student
3. Having sufficient funds <--- my case. The company I work for online is not Spanish and hence why would not be on the tax register. I will also be getting private health insurance. In the documents needed below it does not say it has to be a Spanish bank account... just need to prove I have money. My only question is whether to get this proof (aka bank statements) notarised, legalised and then authorised by the Spanish consulate in London?

Interesting. I was under the impression that once resident in Spain (after being there for more than 183 days in one year) you HAD to declare all earnings to the Spanish tax system even if earned and taxed in a third country and they would then decide if you need to pay any extra tax there.
Correct about the translation but it needs to be done via a Government regulated company (as far as Im aware) which includes a notary because they will stamp it to say its a proper translation. They won't need to be legalised as they are documents personal to you and your bank only.

My situation is different, we are moving over with savings which will be both here in the Uk and Spain. We already file a tax return in spain because we own a property. Once there any financial amount over €50000 must be declared and any interest earned will have a tax implication in Spain.

If I were you I would contact a local Gestor or Solicitor to ensure you have everything you need. For the cost I think its better than to turn up for your appointment and get refused, just in case you forgot something.