Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Legal Impound On Spanish Bank Account

Legal Impound On Spanish Bank Account

Old Oct 24th 2008, 4:53 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Legal Impound On Spanish Bank Account

Originally Posted by Rotor
I`d guess you do but you dont have to leave any money in it once youve bought your house, all other domestic bills can be paid in your local town....if you have time:curse:You can also transfer funds electronically from another country to pay bills
so I imagine you could just transfer the minimum you need to cover essential bills each month then
Old Oct 24th 2008, 5:59 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I tend to leave the minimum necessary in my Spanish bank account
Old Oct 25th 2008, 2:35 pm
Banned

johnny13 is a jewel in the roughjohnny13 is a jewel in the roughjohnny13 is a jewel in the roughjohnny13 is a jewel in the roughjohnny13 is a jewel in the rough

I’m no fan of Spanish banks, seeing them as inefficient and expensive in equal degrees. So I wasn’t too surprised to hear that merely operating a current account and a credit card costs between 152 and 305 euros a year, or an average of 229. Nor did it come as a shock to read that this has risen by 52 euros in only two years, despite a so-called ‘commissions war’. And that further increases are now in the pipeline. Johnny
Old Oct 25th 2008, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

DENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud of

I would prefer to pay locally or electronically I think scared of these Spanish banks getting their mits on my hard earned money
Old Oct 25th 2008, 7:09 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DENISE WALTERS
I would prefer to pay locally or electronically I think scared of these Spanish banks getting their mits on my hard earned money
The worst is when they pay some thing and you ask them what is this payment for and they say we dont know. I opend another account in another bank with 200 euro a while ago with the intention of saving a couple of euro a week.I havent used it yet and I just had a statement, my balance is about 80 euro.So first chance I get Im closing it.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

littlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud of

On the other hand, the "flexibility" can work both ways. When I opened an account I asked about the charges, and after a little chat, had them waved completely. I think many expats are unaware that, in Spain, everything is open to "discussion".
Old Oct 27th 2008, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

sirrom will become famous soon enoughsirrom will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Rotor
I`d guess you do but you dont have to leave any money in it once youve bought your house, all other domestic bills can be paid in your local town....if you have time:curse:You can also transfer funds electronically from another country to pay bills

Be assured if yu owe dosh they Will remove it from your account!!!
Old Oct 27th 2008, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sirrom
Be assured if yu owe dosh they Will remove it from your account!!!
Only if its in Spain, they have no juristiction in other countries.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

Despite my earlier post, they cannot just take the money without going through various legal procedures.

They have to send you at least one recorded delivery letter and if it is not delivered details must be posted in the official bulletin of the province (Boletín Oficial de la Provincia) in which you live.

If money is taken from your account you can demand to see any letter they may have tried to send to you and evidence of the fact that it could not be delivered. You can also demand to see the entry in the bulletin or, at least, it's reference number so that you can look it up for yourself.

Provincial bulletins are available online and most have a search facility into which you can enter your name to see if there is anything recorded against you.

I have a particular problem in that I live in an area where there is no postal delivery so I have a box in the local post office. However, entities like DGT and AEAT will not accept an Apartado de Correos as a valid address and insist that you give a residential address. The problem is that staff at the post office will not put anything in my box that does not show the post office box number so if I picked up a traffic fine for speeding for example I would never be notified of it.

Because of this I check my local BOP every couple of weeks or so to see if I am being notified of any fine which has been issued that I do not know about.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 7:58 pm
Banned

johnny13 is a jewel in the roughjohnny13 is a jewel in the roughjohnny13 is a jewel in the roughjohnny13 is a jewel in the roughjohnny13 is a jewel in the rough

Queuing for 20 minutes to carry out the simplest transaction is quick. Watching someone take an hour with the only available cashier is not unusual.

Excessive maintenance charges and statements that even bank employees don't understand. An infrastructure that makes it almost impossible to complain. Complain by email and I need an electronic signature which seems to involve giving a DNA sample. Complain by letter and they ignore it and say it never arrived. Complain by phone and, if they bother to answer the phone, they say they will need to check something and ring you back which they never do. Go to a branch and the people will need to talk to the manager who has just popped out for breakfast. Standing orders and direct debits don't get paid, no notification of money leaving the account till after it's gone (this may not actually be the banks - it may be people like Telefonica and Iberdrola but I'm on a roll now so why can't I blame the banks?)

Standard bureaucracy going bananas I find vaguely amusing, the convoluted logic, the archaic processes - ah, Spain really is different but these bank people are robbing me of both time and money.