Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Legal age for riding a 125cc scooter

Legal age for riding a 125cc scooter

Old Jun 12th 2009, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

sidyid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Legal age for riding a 125cc scooter

My son who has just turned 17 wishes to upgrade his 50cc for a 125cc scooter, he passed his test (for a 50cc) when it was still legal for him to take one when he was 14, I understand that the law has changed now and the ages goalposts have been moved, does anyone know at what age he can ride a 125cc scooter and does he need to take another test?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 5:20 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Legal age for riding a 125cc scooter

Originally Posted by sidyid
My son who has just turned 17 wishes to upgrade his 50cc for a 125cc scooter, he passed his test (for a 50cc) when it was still legal for him to take one when he was 14, I understand that the law has changed now and the ages goalposts have been moved, does anyone know at what age he can ride a 125cc scooter and does he need to take another test?

Any help would be appreciated.
it's still 14 for a 50cc - my dd will take her test next summer because they (much to her delight) didn't change that part of the law - or rather it's not changing til I think Sept 2010 - but I don't know about a 125
Old Jun 12th 2009, 6:10 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

It is still 16 for a 125cc.

As far as I know, a new test is required as it has to cover use on the open road rather than just a closed circuit. There has been no change to the rules for this class.

The whole system of licences is being changed and the old Moped licence (Licencia de Conducir) is being incorporated into the normal driving licence (Permiso de Conducir) and mopeds are now classed as group AM. 125cc are group A1 and there is a new A2 group for bikes up to 500cc and the old A licence is for bikes over 500cc for which you have to be 18.

Incidentally, if you have had a car licence (B) for 3 years you can drive a 125cc on that (unlike the UK where all you can drive is a moped).
Old Jun 12th 2009, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

savateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nice

Does the above re 125cc entitlement's apply to all EU licenses, or just Spanish ?
Old Jun 12th 2009, 7:53 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by savateur
Does the above re 125cc entitlement's apply to all EU licenses, or just Spanish ?
It applies to all licences that have an entitlement to drive class B - there is a rule that says you must have held the class B licence for 2 or possibly 3 years.

As I said, it is a bit of an anomaly as you couldn't do it in the UK.

These recent changes in the licensing rules are the result of an EU directive to harmonise this sort of thing, so it may well apply in the UK in due course.