Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Leaving Spain and returning to the Uk permanently

Leaving Spain and returning to the Uk permanently

Old Dec 14th 2018, 2:25 pm
Just Joined

Pjhkmh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Leaving Spain and returning to the Uk permanently

I am currently tax resident in Spanish. In 2019 I will be tax resident in the UK. Is there a specific form or document I need to complete and send to the Spanish tax authority informing them I am leaving Spain permanently and give them my new address and NI number in the UK?
Old Dec 15th 2018, 12:29 am
Forum Regular

cermignano is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Leaving Spain and returning to the Uk permanently

Check the gov.uk/living in Spain website and ask the questions because it depends what time of the year you move
Old Dec 15th 2018, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pjhkmh
I am currently tax resident in Spanish. In 2019 I will be tax resident in the UK. Is there a specific form or document I need to complete and send to the Spanish tax authority informing them I am leaving Spain permanently and give them my new address and NI number in the UK?
Get hold of Modelo 30 on the Tax Office website , complete and return., think you need to send with it a Certificate of Fiscal Residence from the UK tax Office which confirms your new status. Also important to de-register at the Town Hall Padron.
Old Dec 16th 2018, 9:08 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Get hold of Modelo 30 on the Tax Office website , complete and return., think you need to send with it a Certificate of Fiscal Residence from the UK tax Office which confirms your new status. Also important to de-register at the Town Hall Padron.
.... and also 'baja' residency etc.
Old Dec 16th 2018, 9:26 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

The best time to leave is 1 day before you reach 183 days. The law in Spain is that you are tax resident for the whole year if you exceed 183 days. Conversley, if you leave before that you are not tax resident for that year.

The UK allows split tax years, so you would become UK tax resident only for the remaining months of the UK tax year.

If you get the timing right you can save a lot of tax.
Old Dec 16th 2018, 11:39 am
Banned

Johncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond repute

Get a certificate of non residency.
Old Dec 16th 2018, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute

Fred that is a very useful piece of info.

is there a simlar optimum time to move to Spain from the UK tax wise?
Old Dec 16th 2018, 1:38 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, there is. If you arrive after day 183 you are free of Spanish tax until the following year. If you have been paying tax in the UK you will get a refund as you get the whole years allowances but your income is only taxed for the time you were in the UK.

I played the dates when I came to Spain and saved quite a lot. That was nearly 20 years ago and I am not aware it has changed, but I haven’t had reason to check recently, so don’t take my advice without checking it out for yourself.