Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Learning Spanish in your home ?

Learning Spanish in your home ?

Old Apr 26th 2005, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

Spanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really nice
Default Re: Learning Spanish in your home ?

Originally Posted by Mercedes
I'm lucky my neigbours do speak spanish to me as they don't speak English, I find I understand them better than I am able to speak it. I seem to get my point across in most situations, but its conversations I find hardest. My other neighbour is from Barcelona and find him much harder to understand and he also me. When I did classes I found because the teachers didn't speak English it became more like charades, I personally prefer tapes, I got on further with it.

I have an idea, it might be fun, but also help us all a lot.One of the eventual most important thing we must do (not all but people of the same thought of our self’s) is learn as much language as possible, which I know some of us are doing the best that we can? I think we will improve if we start a thread in Spanish, not to brag what we know or to ridicule, but to help us all, who want to learn, our very own Spanish class. may be a set time a set day every week, like a chat thing?

Am I getting carried away!

Pero es posible no?

I ask you.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

evacuateuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Spanishliferules
Yay!!! I ordered this from ebay. It arrived this morning. I can't wait to get started. It looks very good.

I'll let you know
Old Apr 26th 2005, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaldridge
I still believe it is extremely hard to learn a language unless you live in the country and you are exposed to the language all the time.

We live in the Costa del Sol and the problem is that practically everyone speaks English, even the waiters.

Good luck...it's not easy.
I agree with you.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the link SLR
Old Apr 26th 2005, 6:18 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
I went to evening classes for a couple of years before moving here and achieved a high level of Spanish but when I actually moved to Andalucía it was like learning a foreign language all over again.

The best way is to make non-English speaking Spanish friends, dump your Sky digibox (if you have one) and buy a Spanish newspaper like Van Guardia and make yourself read it.

You know you are getting there when you find yourself thinking in Spanish rather than translating what you are going to say from English into Spanish before saying it.

If you are still living in the UK and decide to have Spanish lessons try to get a tutor with Spanish as his/her native language preferably with an accent local to the area you are going to move to.

Learning a language academically is fine for passing exams but it's useless for living your life.
Very well said-especially the part about having non english friends and reading the local press (and watching the TV). I have also give the same advise about knowing you are getting there when you do not translate it, you just think in Spanish.

I had to chuckle at your comments about understanding the Andaluz accent- I lived 6 yrs in Zaragoza and have 20 odd years of improving my Spanish (which I thought was pretty damn good), only to visit Jaen, Cordoba and Malaga and go back to only understanding about 50% of what was said!! After a few days, I guess my ear became more tuned in, and I understood 90%.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

Spanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really nice

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective
Thanks for the link SLR
I am sure this learning tool you will find very interesting, and amusing. Great for vocab not to good on verb explanation, good on masculine/feminine, very affordable and moves to more advanced lessons as and when.

I found it a very effective tool to back up college, but must agree you learn more in Spain. But you must force yourself to go into totally Spanish establishments.

My wife tells me my Spanish is perfecto when I am totally drunk, on Spanish brandy, apparently I can hold a 1-hour + conversation no problem, with only Spanish speaking waiters. The big problem here is I can't remember!!

So who is up for Spanish!
Old Apr 27th 2005, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure this learning tool you will find very interesting, and amusing. Great for vocab not to good on verb explanation, good on masculine/feminine, very affordable and moves to more advanced lessons as and when.

I found it a very effective tool to back up college, but must agree you learn more in Spain. But you must force yourself to go into totally Spanish establishments.

My wife tells me my Spanish is perfecto when I am totally drunk, on Spanish brandy, apparently I can hold a 1-hour + conversation no problem, with only Spanish speaking waiters. The big problem here is I can't remember!!

So who is up for Spanish!
My written spanish doesn't exist, doesn't have quite the effect as flapping arms around and watching facial expressions. My barcelonian neighbour fell about laughing yesterday on my pronounation of "gate" I apparently called it a whore.
Old Apr 28th 2005, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

My barcelonian neighbour fell about laughing yesterday on my pronounation of "gate" I apparently called it a whore.
One is tempted to ask what it was you were saying about your gate
Old May 2nd 2005, 1:02 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

One is tempted to ask what it was you were saying about your gate
An extra er in the word

Thats why you should never call a PC a puta
Old May 2nd 2005, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

coralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nice

Originally Posted by jdr
An extra er in the word

Thats why you should never call a PC a puta
My embarrasing linguistic story comes from our first 6 months in Spain. Whilst my wife was very good, having been learning for 5 years in the UK, I had only picked up a bit from listening to her and the children, and a superficial listen to some CDs. We were living out near El Escorial, near one of the large reservoirs, shown on the map with the abbreviation Emb., the meaning of which my wife had explained.

I caught a taxi home from the airport one Friday night and, as usual, it was always a bit tricky explaining exactly where we lived, so far out. I got mixed up over the meanings of Emb. and told the taxi driver our urbanization was out near the large embutido. I expect the driver was impressed that I lived near a large cured sausage. It kept him quite for the rest of the journey mind.

On the subject of CDs, the set I started with was excellent for pronunciation exercises, the majority of a cd and a half out of a 12 CD set (which I've never finished) and book. It was the one used by the US foreign service. Beginning with numerous exercise on the difference between various vowels in different words (without work on the meaning), I spent ages mouthing them while commuting from London-Birmingham by car to work the week. I've been told my accent is very good and this certainly helped.

I thought the Michel Thomas cds were very good, too, and they've given me the confidence to try Spanglish in many circumstances, often successfully: if you're trying to say something without knowing the Spanish word, try saying the English one in the Spanish form and because of the number of similar roots and origins, there's a very good chance you'll get something with an appropriate meaning.

Well meaning thought it is, I don't think it would be productive to devote efforts to communicating in Spanish here. We are likely to reinforce mistakes and bad habits or have endless debates over correctness and there are numerous other, better opportunities to practice on the net with real Spanish people or students of Spanish.
Old May 2nd 2005, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

spanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nice
Smile Re: Learning Spanish in your home ?

I'm not far from colerne.
Where did you buy your cd's from please?
Hi ACD

Just saw your message about the Michel Thomas CDs. If you go to WH Smiths, they will cost you about £70.

I don't know if there is a Costco near to you (the American Wholesale type shop). You can get them there for about £30, which is a good saving.

Hope this helps you.

Regards.

Linda
Old May 3rd 2005, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

coralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nice

Originally Posted by spanishgirl
Hi ACD

Just saw your message about the Michel Thomas CDs. If you go to WH Smiths, they will cost you about £70.

I don't know if there is a Costco near to you (the American Wholesale type shop). You can get them there for about £30, which is a good saving.

Hope this helps you.

Regards.

Linda
Play.com deliver anywhere in Europe for £45:
http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=s...D&title=170188
Old May 4th 2005, 12:14 am
ImHere

I live in South Florida, and more people around me speak Spanish than English so my Spanish is coming along a treat - even if its beciming "Dirty Spanish". I did originally learn Valenciana since thats the are where my parents live.

Old May 5th 2005, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

Gnomeathome will become famous soon enough

My written spanish doesn't exist, doesn't have quite the effect as flapping arms around and watching facial expressions. My barcelonian neighbour fell about laughing yesterday on my pronounation of "gate" I apparently called it a whore.
Those things happen to me! doh! But not using them online translation jobbies. They for frauds n cheaters! only the real thing will do! Michel Thomas is great. But I must have missed the bit where he explained the difference between Catalonian Spanish and the rest...or did he ever?
Old May 10th 2005, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Talking Re: Learning Spanish in your home ?

Originally Posted by coralsoft
My embarrasing linguistic story comes from our first 6 months in Spain. Whilst my wife was very good, having been learning for 5 years in the UK, I had only picked up a bit from listening to her and the children, and a superficial listen to some CDs. We were living out near El Escorial, near one of the large reservoirs, shown on the map with the abbreviation Emb., the meaning of which my wife had explained.

I caught a taxi home from the airport one Friday night and, as usual, it was always a bit tricky explaining exactly where we lived, so far out. I got mixed up over the meanings of Emb. and told the taxi driver our urbanization was out near the large embutido. I expect the driver was impressed that I lived near a large cured sausage. It kept him quite for the rest of the journey mind.

On the subject of CDs, the set I started with was excellent for pronunciation exercises, the majority of a cd and a half out of a 12 CD set (which I've never finished) and book. It was the one used by the US foreign service. Beginning with numerous exercise on the difference between various vowels in different words (without work on the meaning), I spent ages mouthing them while commuting from London-Birmingham by car to work the week. I've been told my accent is very good and this certainly helped.

I thought the Michel Thomas cds were very good, too, and they've given me the confidence to try Spanglish in many circumstances, often successfully: if you're trying to say something without knowing the Spanish word, try saying the English one in the Spanish form and because of the number of similar roots and origins, there's a very good chance you'll get something with an appropriate meaning.

Well meaning thought it is, I don't think it would be productive to devote efforts to communicating in Spanish here. We are likely to reinforce mistakes and bad habits or have endless debates over correctness and there are numerous other, better opportunities to practice on the net with real Spanish people or students of Spanish.

I was sitting at the bar with a friend of mine who started a conversation in Spanish with a French waiter.

The friend of mine was trying to say to the waiter I think you would make a good boy friend for my 17 yr old daughter.

The whole place went deadly quite for one moment, followed by hilarious laughter; our Spanish friend explained that he asked the waiter to have sex with his daughter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.