Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Learning Spanish

Learning Spanish

Old Mar 30th 2018, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

Traceykin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Learning Spanish

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good audio learning / listen to spanish tutorial.

We would like to retire in spain with our daughter possibly working if she comes out with us and we really need to get a good understanding of spanish before moving out there.

Kind regards Tracey
Old Mar 30th 2018, 2:51 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Learning Spanish

We found our local Tech college course helpful.
Old Mar 30th 2018, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

Hornets_Nest will become famous soon enough

I've been using Wlingua for a couple of years now ... a very good App you can use on your phone, tablet, PC etc. I did Rosetta Stone but I'll be honest I have found Wlingua so much better - each lesson takes me just over an hour inc the review exercise.
Old Mar 30th 2018, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Try this link to a similar question to yours, which was posted here earlier this month.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/spain...guages-910533/
Old Mar 31st 2018, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

Thank you for commenting and thank you for the link to the other post. I have a long way to go with my spanish learning but planning to retire in 2 years so I figured I would try to learn a spanish phrase every day. Thanks again Tracey
Old Apr 1st 2018, 8:58 am
Just Joined

Jolero is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiw about app FuoLinguo?
Old Apr 1st 2018, 9:44 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola

What I did was to buy a "Linguaphone" type course from a local bookshop. It came with 6 cassettes (it was 2002!) and it gave me the basics. I then took Spanish lessons here in Spain when I arrived for seven years. It was on a one to one basis; just the Profesora and I - nowhere to hide, it made me learn which is what I needed / wanted.

Not all people learn the same way so my method will not suit everybody; but by making a start you are definitely going in the right direction.

Davexf
Old Apr 1st 2018, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you for all your comments. They are very useful. I am watching basic childrens tv shows and listening to a phrase every day to build up my annunciation and vocabulary.
Old Apr 2nd 2018, 8:47 am
Just Joined

Bad Leg is an unknown quantity at this point

I've tried several 'apps' and other courses and I find Mondly to be the easiest way to learn. I've been using it for 4 months now.
Old Apr 4th 2018, 10:31 pm
Just Joined

CarolineNick is an unknown quantity at this point

I studied Spanish at university in the early 80s and then, towards the end of the 90s, spent a short period of time in South America teaching English........ I was able to speak Spanish much better after being there for six months in the late 90s than I was able to do following all the years of studying before that.

My advice would be to learn some very basic Spanish via apps or, depending on where you live, classes. Meetup is also good if you’re in/near a city. But don’t be too hard on yourself if you feel progress is slow......... the basic stuff you’re learning will take root and stand you in good stead. When you arrive in Spain, you’ll come on in leaps and bounds if you want to as you’ll be immersed in the language. You sound really positive and enthusiastic and that’s more than half the battle.

¡Que tengas buena suerte! and, don’t forget, you’ll win loads of new friends if you at least try.

Caroline.