Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Learning Spanish

Learning Spanish

Old May 4th 2011, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

tommyd1888 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Learning Spanish

Can anyone recommend a good way of learning Spanish. Unfortunately actually being in Spain is not an option at the moment. I'm hoping for someone to recommend something like Rosetta Stone or something similar that really helped them when learning the Language. I can speak Italian so I am hoping the rules are pretty similar and I should be able to pick it up pretty quickly.

Cheers
Tommy
Old May 4th 2011, 3:00 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Learning Spanish

Originally Posted by tommyd1888
Can anyone recommend a good way of learning Spanish. Unfortunately actually being in Spain is not an option at the moment. I'm hoping for someone to recommend something like Rosetta Stone or something similar that really helped them when learning the Language. I can speak Italian so I am hoping the rules are pretty similar and I should be able to pick it up pretty quickly.

Cheers
Tommy
A friend of mine is currently raving over Rosetta stone.
Old May 4th 2011, 3:33 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
Tommy
'Transparent language' is good
Old May 4th 2011, 6:45 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

You should be able to get access to Spanish TV and radio wherever you are. Leave them on all day and watch and listen to nothing else for a while. You don't have to concentrate, just have them on in the background and you'll learn pronunciation quickly.
Old May 4th 2011, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

jaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nice
Smile Re: Learning Spanish

Cheers
Tommy
free spanish lessons...basic needs greetings and more I found this on the net found it really helpful and yes the spanish tv helps
Old May 9th 2011, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

Hi Tommy,
My OH swears by Synergy Spanish by Marcus Santamaria. It is an on line site and I believe is free for the first 5 weeks.

John.
Old May 9th 2011, 7:32 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
Tommy
As you already speak Italian, you already have half of the battle won.

Learn how to pronounce the Spanish letters, the C,a few changes from Italian, but as it is a rule very easy to do. A few others too.

Plurals, instead of the bambino/bambini/bambina/bambine rule, it is " S or ES" with the masc and fem.

In the vocab, loads of word are very very similar, usually the Italian form has an "e" on the end, and lots of the "f" words in Italian are "H" words in Spanish ie horno, harina, hablar.......

Learn the vocab that is very different and just guess the rest, you wont go far wrong, as it is quite easy for Ital/Span to understand each other, even if answering is a bit of guesswork.

As you know it wont happen overnight, but you have such an advantage over people who dont speak Italian, good luck.

Cheers.