British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Learning Spanish (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/learning-spanish-715659/)

tommyd1888 May 4th 2011 2:32 pm

Learning Spanish

Can anyone recommend a good way of learning Spanish. Unfortunately actually being in Spain is not an option at the moment. I'm hoping for someone to recommend something like Rosetta Stone or something similar that really helped them when learning the Language. I can speak Italian so I am hoping the rules are pretty similar and I should be able to pick it up pretty quickly.

Cheers
Tommy

bil May 4th 2011 3:00 pm

Re: Learning Spanish

Originally Posted by tommyd1888 (Post 9342769)
Can anyone recommend a good way of learning Spanish. Unfortunately actually being in Spain is not an option at the moment. I'm hoping for someone to recommend something like Rosetta Stone or something similar that really helped them when learning the Language. I can speak Italian so I am hoping the rules are pretty similar and I should be able to pick it up pretty quickly.

Cheers
Tommy

A friend of mine is currently raving over Rosetta stone.

mikelincs May 4th 2011 3:33 pm

Cheers
Tommy

'Transparent language' is good

HBG May 4th 2011 6:45 pm

You should be able to get access to Spanish TV and radio wherever you are. Leave them on all day and watch and listen to nothing else for a while. You don't have to concentrate, just have them on in the background and you'll learn pronunciation quickly.

jaks123 May 4th 2011 9:12 pm

Cheers
Tommy

free spanish lessons...basic needs greetings and more I found this on the net found it really helpful and yes the spanish tv helps

Saxy May 9th 2011 7:06 am

Hi Tommy,
My OH swears by Synergy Spanish by Marcus Santamaria. It is an on line site and I believe is free for the first 5 weeks.

John.

JLFS May 9th 2011 7:32 am

Cheers
Tommy

As you already speak Italian, you already have half of the battle won.

Learn how to pronounce the Spanish letters, the C,a few changes from Italian, but as it is a rule very easy to do. A few others too.

Plurals, instead of the bambino/bambini/bambina/bambine rule, it is " S or ES" with the masc and fem.

In the vocab, loads of word are very very similar, usually the Italian form has an "e" on the end, and lots of the "f" words in Italian are "H" words in Spanish ie horno, harina, hablar.......

Learn the vocab that is very different and just guess the rest, you wont go far wrong, as it is quite easy for Ital/Span to understand each other, even if answering is a bit of guesswork.

As you know it wont happen overnight, but you have such an advantage over people who dont speak Italian, good luck.

Cheers.