Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Learning the Language

Learning the Language

Old Mar 27th 2006, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

dennis is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Learning the Language

I have been struggling with the language, someone suggested that Linkword Languages provide really good language learning material, has anyone used them.

Many thanks, Dennis
Old Mar 27th 2006, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Learning the Language

The Michel Thomas cd's are very good, maybe give them a try.

pwwm
Old Mar 27th 2006, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

dennis is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pwwm
The Michel Thomas cd's are very good, maybe give them a try.

pwwm
Thanks I will check them out as well.

Dennis
Old Mar 27th 2006, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dennis
Thanks I will check them out as well.

Dennis
I must be the only one that can't get on with Michel Thomas. I find his voice really, really irritating.
Old Mar 27th 2006, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Must admit Glynis, I do find his voice irritating, but I like his way of teaching and it has helped us quite a bit.
Like the format, shame about the voice!!!!

Sadly he died last year.

pwwm
Old Mar 27th 2006, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

jean&john will become famous soon enoughjean&john will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dennis
I have been struggling with the language, someone suggested that Linkword Languages provide really good language learning material, has anyone used them.

Many thanks, Dennis
Try the BBC Spanish Languages also the Learn Spanish which is a link from BBC. ¡SUERTE! John
Old Mar 27th 2006, 8:21 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

I like Michel Thomas too, but rather than irritating he makes me fall asleep.....there was a very good quick Spanish booklet and CD with the Independent newspaper some Saturdays ago, and I also like Visual Link Spanish which is an American course, and there is a free trial online.
Isn't it hard though learning back in Britain?? When in Spain I listen, then try it out in bars and shops and it seems so much easier...
Old Mar 27th 2006, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Poolounger

Quite agree it is sooo much easier in Spain, luckily for us, living here and having Spanish neighbours (who do not speak English).
Tolerant when we make mistakes, also having to use Spanish on a daily basis has helped, but our Spanish friends are insistent we speak English only to their new baby, Miguel.

pwwm
Old Mar 28th 2006, 6:04 am

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

That's the irony...as Brits struggle to learn new languages now more than ever before, other people just want English,English, English. I am amazed by all the Eastern Europeans who arrive in Britain with not a word of English, find jobs and learn the language, amazingly well. We can sometimes get so hung up about languages, and really it is juts one of the tools we use to communicate, albeit the major one. I find I can get around most places with a dictionary and a copious use of mime and facial expression.. :scared:
Old Mar 28th 2006, 6:07 am

That's the irony...as Brits struggle to learn new languages now more than ever before, other people just want English,English, English. I am amazed by all the Eastern Europeans who arrive in Britain with not a word of English, find jobs and learn the language, amazingly well. We can sometimes get so hung up about languages, when it is just one of the tools we use to communicate, albeit the major one. I find I can get around most places with a dictionary and a copious use of mime and facial expression.. :scared:
Old Mar 28th 2006, 6:07 am

That's the irony...as Brits struggle to learn new languages now more than ever before, other people just want English,English, English. I am amazed by all the Eastern Europeans who arrive in Britain with not a word of English, find jobs and learn the language, amazingly well. We can sometimes get so hung up about language, when it is just one of the tools we use to communicate, albeit the major one. I find I can get around most places with a dictionary and a copious use of mime and facial expression.. :scared:

Last edited by poollounger; Mar 28th 2006 at 6:15 am.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

Or you can allways try repeating everything three times.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Never mind Poolounger you must have heard how great the weather is here 28dg as I type repetitive strain injury springs to mind!!!

pwwm
Old Mar 28th 2006, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Meant to add, re carrying the dictionary around, we did that for quite some time and I now cannot remember when we stopped, so must be getting somewhat better with the language. I think that was the turning point for us.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by big wheels
Or you can allways try repeating everything three times.
The pc was slow this morning and I was trying to edit the typos....or is senility setting in and I don't recall typing everything three times ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.