Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Laughing at Brits in Marbella

Laughing at Brits in Marbella

Old Aug 6th 2012, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Laughing at Brits in Marbella

This is a funny article that takes the micky out of the tasteless Brits and Russians in Puerto Banus

Written by a Brit and on the front page of El Pais for the past few days

http://sociedad.elpais.com/sociedad/...26_221944.html

I especially like the bit about Brits not going to the better restaurants that serve fine food - eating handburgers with French champaigne (I saw the same thing in Meribel skiing).

And the other bit about there actually not being any rich Brits in the exclusive clubs, they are more likely to be people from boring jobs who save up all year to feel important for a week

I've no idea because I never felt the need to go to Puerto Banus, but I have to say that the Brits I saw when I lived in the Costa del sol seemed to be people who sold their council houses to fund a few years in the sun (I never thought I'd write that!)

Ring any bells?
Old Aug 6th 2012, 4:31 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Laughing at Brits in Marbella

More or less correct. It is now the number 1 spot for Z list celebs (Spanish ones too) in order to get a photo shot. The rest are families walking around with pushchairs looking to see them Seems to be very popular with British hen and stag parties too. I do think the Spanish have the same fascination with the place though

A friend used to have a leather shop in Banus, she used to open until midnight, her best clients were eastern European prostitutes. The council house sellers we used to call the one year millionaires
Old Aug 6th 2012, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Hilarious! I've never been there either and feel even less of a need to after reading that. You should have put it on the "Proud to be British" thread!

But it's good to know the Russians are likely to edge Britain out of the running for the gold medal in crassness!
Old Aug 6th 2012, 5:03 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Christ. Cman, why do you keep doing it? Why do you turn yourself into our resident Lord Haw Haw? Why do you cheer every time some silly expat lets the side down?

You know full well some other expat who doesn't share your strange views will come back and correct you.

Do you want us to tell you the reality of Spain, sad as it is? The young people are leaving in droves because there is no hope for them in Spain, millions of people are being fed by Church charities, beggars haunt the streets.

And you worry about some silly expat eating Hamburgers instead of Chorizo?
Old Aug 6th 2012, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
More or less correct. It is now the number 1 spot for Z list celebs (Spanish ones too) in order to get a photo shot. The rest are families walking around with pushchairs looking to see them Seems to be very popular with British hen and stag parties too. I do think the Spanish have the same fascination with the place though

A friend used to have a leather shop in Banus, she used to open until midnight, her best clients were eastern European prostitutes. The council house sellers we used to call the one year millionaires
You sound like a real snob, was your life in the UK so bad that you can just turn your back on your past and sneer all the time.
At least those Brits are in Spain and spending money which we all know Spain could do with right now.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
It's about tourists, not expats. Actually it's quite funny, if you bother to read it.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 5:29 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
Christ. Cman, why do you keep doing it? Why do you turn yourself into our resident Lord Haw Haw? Why do you cheer every time some silly expat lets the side down?

You know full well some other expat who doesn't share your strange views will come back and correct you.

Do you want us to tell you the reality of Spain, sad as it is? The young people are leaving in droves because there is no hope for them in Spain, millions of people are being fed by Church charities, beggars haunt the streets.

Cman is obviously desperate for a few crumbs of comfort after watching the Spaniards dismal Olympic performance.

I wonder how many Spanish restaurants he would put in the better class ?

Maybe 5% on a good day ?
Old Aug 6th 2012, 5:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I enjoy a burger every now and again maybe I had better keep an eye out for who's watching me! I also have tattoos and tend wear my hair cropped "well what bit I have left) I have no hope have I? oh dear.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 5:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Cman is obviously desperate for a few crumbs of comfort after watching the Spaniards dismal Olympic performance.
Actually that is quite depressing..

But no, I read the article and thought I would share. After all it is in one of the most read and respected newspapers so will contribute to the image the Spanish have of British people

When I was introduced to my wife's family they said they were relieved because they expected a bald headed hooligan with tattoos (toungue in cheek)

Like I've said before, most Spaniards have never met a British people. A little like some of the Brits in Spain who have never met a Spanish person
Old Aug 6th 2012, 6:27 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuboy
You sound like a real snob, was your life in the UK so bad that you can just turn your back on your past and sneer all the time.
At least those Brits are in Spain and spending money which we all know Spain could do with right now.
You obviously haven't been to Banus recently Why single me out...El Pais said it first

Used to be nice about 15 yrs ago until they started getting the wrong kind of Brits.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 7:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Actually that is quite depressing..

But no, I read the article and thought I would share. After all it is in one of the most read and respected newspapers so will contribute to the image the Spanish have of British people

When I was introduced to my wife's family they said they were relieved because they expected a bald headed hooligan with tattoos (toungue in cheek)

Like I've said before, most Spaniards have never met a British people. A little like some of the Brits in Spain who have never met a Spanish person
I don't do the hooligan thing but bald heed and tattoos guilty as charged I'm afraid.

Must admit they aint the modern fancy Bekham tattoos either sadly they are the old fashioned 70 type that many of us young dopey squaddies got, the more sensible didn't I'll add lol

Last edited by bobd22; Aug 6th 2012 at 7:36 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

You obviously haven't been to Banus recently Why single me out...El Pais said it first

Used to be nice about 15 yrs ago until they started getting the wrong kind of Brits.
Yes I agree with you, but once the wannabee rich brigade arrived the real rich moved out and into the hills.
Now Banus is just a tacky Med version of Blackpool with sunshine, and it's a place best avoided IMO!
Old Aug 7th 2012, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
Yes I agree with you, but once the wannabee rich brigade arrived the real rich moved out and into the hills.
Now Banus is just a tacky Med version of Blackpool with sunshine, and it's a place best avoided IMO!
You obviously have never been to Blackpool (my home town)

Blackpool is much much tackier.

And yes I've been to Banus
Old Aug 7th 2012, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Sorry J2, meant to quote C'man, not you.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 6:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree with you it has never been nice, right from the start it was full of posturing prats.

Mind you the cinema close to were Corte Ingles is now was a treat to Brits wanting to see films in English.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.