Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Latest Car Hire Rip off

Latest Car Hire Rip off

Old Aug 29th 2016, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Latest Car Hire Rip off

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
There are lots of threads on car hire and the pitfalls so any advice welcome

I will be visiting Santiago de Compostela next month and most places I look are using GOLDCAR but previous posts are not good.
I used Goldcar from Valencia on my last trip with my own insurance. Apart from having to check the car over I had no problems and am using them again when over at the end of this week.
I have also previously booked with Firefly and also have not had any problems with them.
Old Aug 29th 2016, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by casa del sol
Been visiting Spain for well over ten years and always hire a car at airport on arrival, reserved online at home, have never taken the extra insurance or paid elsewhere for any kind of car insurance. Never had a claim, not had a problem with any of the car hire companies, all good. Must have saved a fortune over the years, enough to pay a claim in the future if need arises.

I wonder what percentage of car hire is where a claim for damage or injury is made....would make interesting statistics.
A way of saving money I'm sure, but "never had a claim" is meaningless as an indication of any future incidents! It's like saying "I've never been ill" or "My house has never been burgled or burnt down" Meaningless!
Saved enough to pay a claim eh? What if you're involved in a "your fault" accident with another vehicle in which, aside from damage to the another vehicle(s), God forbid, people are injured and left disabled or even killed. Or you strike a pedestrian.
You'd soon find out if the "fortune" you've saved would cover all the costs involved!
Oh and by the way, I hope you never drive near me! Please put a sticker in your rear window saying "no extra insurance".
Old Aug 29th 2016, 5:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biffta
A way of saving money I'm sure, but "never had a claim" is meaningless as an indication of any future incidents! It's like saying "I've never been ill" or "My house has never been burgled or burnt down" Meaningless!
Saved enough to pay a claim eh? What if you're involved in a "your fault" accident with another vehicle in which, aside from damage to the another vehicle(s), God forbid, people are injured and left disabled or even killed. Or you strike a pedestrian.
You'd soon find out if the "fortune" you've saved would cover all the costs involved!
Oh and by the way, I hope you never drive near me! Please put a sticker in your rear window saying "no extra insurance".
To cover the other party is what third party insurance is for. So all that you mention is covered under standard insurance. The extra insurance is for the hire vehicle only
usually tyres underneath roof and glass .
Old Aug 29th 2016, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by johnnyone
I used Goldcar from Valencia on my last trip with my own insurance. Apart from having to check the car over I had no problems and am using them again when over at the end of this week.
I have also previously booked with Firefly and also have not had any problems with them.
We use Goldcar regularly too (twice this year already, three or four times last year) and despite having our own 'stand-alone' policy for extra 'top-up' insurance (meaning we refuse theirs), we've had no problems with getting a refund of the deposit/block/whatever you call it shortly after we return the car.
Old Aug 29th 2016, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

Maur-Ross is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for this information. We are hoping to hire a car in a couple of weeks. Have put it off after trying to work out best thing to do after hearing awful stories from people who have their own excess policy. They have been treated shabbily. We alwats have our own policy which is similar to the car hire firms except ours is annual and theirs is weekly. We do not want to be treated badly for not taking out their policy as we go away several times a year
Old Aug 30th 2016, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

I have always stuck with one of the majors, Europcar has been excellent over many years. Maybe pay a bit more but I think worth it. Also avoid daily extra fully comprehensive package by having an annual cover issued in the UK by using Insurance4CarHire.
Old Aug 30th 2016, 1:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I have Insurance4CarHire due to be renewed

Also I believe that by paying a little more one might avoid some of the queuing

But still undecided
Old Aug 30th 2016, 6:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

But still undecided
I think the whinging is caused by the multitude of broker scraper sites that are used these days. They tend to come up with the same company offering best deal at a particular time of the year everyone goes for that one on basic cost. Hence large numbers using a specific company that is then compounded by advertised price not incl !!!!!! Which causes further delays at already busy desk. I find it better often to forget brokers contact reputable companies direct with your requirement I.e. Full all inclusive insurance, 24 hour breakdown full full fuel if unlikely you will use a tank full etc. Often if you get full insurance you full full fuel included so no extra fuel cost. Send them your request to a few good companies and let them make the offer to you. In the end you take the one that suits you best. If you have your own excess insurance on annual basis be prepared for still a hard sell from some I found Record the worst. But stand your ground have faith in your excess insurance be prepared to leave a deposit held and refuse to take their rip off prices.
Old Aug 30th 2016, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

But still undecided
It really depends on how often and for how long you rent each year. Personally I don't renew my insurance4carhire annually but wait until just before I need it. There is no NCD so no benefit in keeping it going.
Last trip when I needed a hire car I went with Economycarhire and took their insurance, which was actually cheaper than i4ch and covered all the extras which local rentcos add on or don't cover. But I knew that I would not be renting again in that 12 month period. If you rent more than once then i4ch and a careful check of the rentco is usually cheaper (insurancewise)
Old Aug 30th 2016, 7:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MikeJ
It really depends on how often and for how long you rent each year. Personally I don't renew my insurance4carhire annually but wait until just before I need it. There is no NCD so no benefit in keeping it going.
Last trip when I needed a hire car I went with Economycarhire and took their insurance, which was actually cheaper than i4ch and covered all the extras which local rentcos add on or don't cover. But I knew that I would not be renting again in that 12 month period. If you rent more than once then i4ch and a careful check of the rentco is usually cheaper (insurancewise)
Yes that is also very good advice. I have done the same myself.
Old Aug 30th 2016, 7:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Yes Mike I was just considering that aspect as I will not be hiring again for at least 6 months

Plus you generally come up with the right answers
Old Aug 31st 2016, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

casa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
To cover the other party is what third party insurance is for. So all that you mention is covered under standard insurance. The extra insurance is for the hire vehicle only
usually tyres underneath roof and glass .
Exactly....it would be illegal for them to hand you the keys if you did not have third party insurance.
Old Sep 3rd 2016, 9:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well Mike i4ch have made the decision for me.

To qualify for an insurance4carhire policy you must hold a full driving licence of any nationality, be aged between 21-85 and reside within UK, Spain, Netherlands, Germany, Italy or France.

ANV; the insurers of the policies we provide implemented this residency restriction on the 1st July 2016.

However, as Gibraltar is a British Overseas Territory I will query with our underwriters as to whether we are able to provide a renewal policy on this basis.
Once I have this confirmed, I will get back to you regarding the renewal of policy ANV
Old Sep 3rd 2016, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Well Mike i4ch have made the decision for me.

To qualify for an insurance4carhire policy you must hold a full driving licence of any nationality, be aged between 21-85 and reside within UK, Spain, Netherlands, Germany, Italy or France.

ANV; the insurers of the policies we provide implemented this residency restriction on the 1st July 2016.

However, as Gibraltar is a British Overseas Territory I will query with our underwriters as to whether we are able to provide a renewal policy on this basis.
Once I have this confirmed, I will get back to you regarding the renewal of policy ANV
Interesting! Portugal excluded as residence.
Old Sep 3rd 2016, 2:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I didn't spot that Loafing Along

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.