Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Labour cost per hour

Labour cost per hour

Old Sep 4th 2011, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

marchena is a jewel in the roughmarchena is a jewel in the roughmarchena is a jewel in the roughmarchena is a jewel in the rough
Default Labour cost per hour

Hi,
We need some repear work done on the outside wall of our house and we have been quote 15,75 eur per hour. I tried to get some information on the net on the average rate in Spain but I did not manage to get a reliable information.
Does somebody has any info on the average cost that we should be paying?
Thanks
Old Sep 4th 2011, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

EllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Labour cost per hour

Originally Posted by marchena
Hi,
We need some repear work done on the outside wall of our house and we have been quote 15,75 eur per hour. I tried to get some information on the net on the average rate in Spain but I did not manage to get a reliable information.
Thanks
get a couple of quotes for the job as a whole not an hourly rate and choose the best one based on quality of work and price, don't leave yourself open to a worker with no incentive to get the job done quickly
Old Sep 4th 2011, 2:58 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Couldn't agree more!

Hourly rates can vary so much, 'round here you can get someone for about 4 euros/hour (yeh, really) up to 20 euros/hour for a more 'professional' person.

Quoting for the job is the best way to go as they will also have to include materials etc.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

marchena is a jewel in the roughmarchena is a jewel in the roughmarchena is a jewel in the roughmarchena is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the reply, we have asked few people that came around and I got the impression that people who quoted 15,75 per hour were the guys that were on time and had a real good look on the walls and know what they are talking so that is the reason why I was thinking of calling them and negotiate the price as in their quote the materials were on the top of the bill. They will need to knock down a fire place and only yesterday we decided on some more modification we need to do like for example adding an opening in the wall and putting a glass door. They told us that it can be cheaper an hour quote rather than a global quote as sometimes is difficult for them to negotitate how long it can take them as they need to replace some tiles around the outside house walls. I was wondering how low I can go and ask without being ridiculous with the price.The both of us are in the house all the time so I guess we can really take care and controll the hours they will be working.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 3:18 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

That rate was ok for about ten years ago, but now as has been said people will work for a lot less as there are now about 4 million plus people out of work.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 3:56 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Thanks
as others are saying, get a price for the job rather than the open ended hourly rate.

does that include VAT (sri forgotten sp eqvt, bad day) ?
do you get a receipt with it ?
do you get a guarantee ?

or is it just a bit of work on the black for cash in hand ??
Old Sep 4th 2011, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Don't just go by the price as it's not just about the money!

Inspect some of their previous work....talk to some of there customers and ask how long they took for the job, did they turn up every day and on time (very important) and was the quality of work done up to scratch.

Any builder worth employing will be more than happy to show you his work and introduce you to previous clients!
Old Sep 4th 2011, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

In our area even those advertising for grounds/gardening upkeep want 25€ an hour that's double what I get paid in the UK for real work!

Sometimes I wonder if they live in cloud cuckoo land.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Things are very different in my area, then! Last autumn 2 local guys repaired the rendering on one of the side walls of my house and painted it (it's 3 storeys in part, and on a slope, so not an easy job). It took them 2 days, working 9am to 6pm with an hour for lunch, and the total bill was 160€. They did an excellent job.

Yes, they are unemployed so they were working on the black. Perhaps I am wrong to be complicit in that, but I would rather see people being able to earn a bit of money than going without.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 4:47 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

and, above all, do NOT pay any money up-front. Only pay once the work is complete to your satisfaction.

There are an awful lot of 'builders' out there who don't know which end of a shovel to hold!

If the work is open-ended and is to be done 'on the black' (no receipt, no guarantee, and illegal!), then the rate should be a lot less. If the work is to be done 'properly', then any reputable builder will be able to give an accurate estimate/quote for the job. This will be in writing, will include IVA and will include a guarantee.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

Those builders was suggested by a shop where we intend to buy a fire place ( we were given 3 different company names and phone numbers) and we got a written quote sent by an e mail the prices are before VAT so they said it is up to us if we want an invoice or without paying VAT.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 5:38 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Those builders was suggested by a shop where we intend to buy a fire place ( we were given 3 different company names and phone numbers) and we got a written quote sent by an e mail the prices are before VAT so they said it is up to us if we want an invoice or without paying VAT.
Got to say, if you fit a wood burner of reasonable quality, you will save a shedload of energy each winter.......
Old Sep 4th 2011, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

rather a palette burnether than wood burner
Old Sep 4th 2011, 5:44 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

rather a palette burnether than wood burner
Do you mean a casette? Not as efficient, not by a long chalk.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

I do not know how they are called in english there are called palletes to me they look like dog food but made of remains of wood or olive remains.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.