Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

knowing your subject & teaching it

knowing your subject & teaching it

Old Aug 7th 2009, 11:07 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: knowing your subject & teaching it

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Loads of double negatives in Italian. Is Spanish the same?

Italians find it very hard to grasp the present perfect.

I'm very careful about pronouncing conditionals properly when I teach. I don't want students asking me what "wunt - shunt and c..." mean.

I once gave some high school students a general knowledge quiz. One question in the 'science and nature' section was:

What is the hardest rock?

A lovely girl replied "heavy metal"
do double negatives just make things VERY negative in Italian?

if so, then it's the same in Spanish

have to say I agree
Old Aug 7th 2009, 11:08 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Veleta
Hey Lynnxa, you could turn this into a bit of a quiz thread and have a bit of fun. Pose a few basic grammar Qs to the "natives" and see what they know about their own language?
do you mean the English natives?

could be interesting......................................
Old Aug 7th 2009, 11:11 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
you're right, of course

& tbh when I'm teaching spanish I try not to get too caught up in grammar simply because most of my (adult) students just about know a noun from a verb - that's nothing against them - more on the way we were taught in the UK (or not!), and the fact that if tehey were ever taught it they have now forgotten it, because they don't need to know it!

the kids in spain learn their own language with a huge emphasis on grammar - and expect to learn a foreign language the same way
I can relate to that. My 9 year old here already knows what an articulated preposition is yet when my 26 year old half sister signed up for Italian classes, she rang me to ask what a noun, adjective and verb was.

I was taught both English language and English lit at school. She wasn't.

Sorry - I'll get off now. Don't mean to keep making comparisons but the differences and similarities interest me.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 11:15 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

I can relate to that. My 9 year old here already knows what an articulated preposition is yet when my 26 year old half sister signed up for Italian classes, she rang me to ask what a noun, adjective and verb was.

I was taught both English language and English lit at school. She wasn't.

Sorry - I'll get off now. Don't mean to keep making comparisons but the differences and similarities interest me.
you don't have to go

language fascinates me too - I can understand written Italian fairly well - I get a bit more than 'the gist' if you see what I mean - but then I did latin for while at school

I love tracing the 'root' of a word - I think it really helps to understand different languages
Old Aug 7th 2009, 11:18 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

do double negatives just make things VERY negative in Italian?

if so, then it's the same in Spanish

have to say I agree

Some double negatives are just simple statements like, 'I not want nothing' or 'there is not none cheese left'
Old Aug 7th 2009, 11:21 pm

you don't have to go

language fascinates me too - I can understand written Italian fairly well - I get a bit more than 'the gist' if you see what I mean - but then I did latin for while at school

I love tracing the 'root' of a word - I think it really helps to understand different languages
I do have to go now, not of course because I feel unwelcome but because the kids are telling me in their lovely Italian/Yorkshire accents that they are not just hungry but starving.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 11:22 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

I do have to go now, not of course because I feel unwelcome but because the kids are telling me in their lovely Italian/Yorkshire accents that they are not just hungry but starving.
really?

it's not lunctime here for at least another hour
Old Aug 8th 2009, 1:11 am

really?

it's not lunctime here for at least another hour
Shops and other places shut at 12.30 here so most people eat around one-ish.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 5:32 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Shops and other places shut at 12.30 here so most people eat around one-ish.
they're open til 2 here then again at about 5ish

so do you get your 'siesta' earlier then?
Old Aug 8th 2009, 6:32 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montgomail
Thing is, we don't actually need to know and it's the sort of thing you get taught as a young child and forget about. It's only foreign languages that we tend to over analyse.
English speaking children do not get taught this in English schools, my wife didnt. I was taught this rule because I needed to learn English sharpish.

English children know the difference from infancy but dont know why they use "on or In" but they always get it right.

JLFS
Old Aug 8th 2009, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by me me
English speaking children do not get taught this in English schools, my wife didnt. I was taught this rule because I needed to learn English sharpish.

English children know the difference from infancy but dont know why they use "on or In" but they always get it right.

JLFS
I was taught grammar in an English school and it does help when learning a new language.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 6:47 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

I was taught grammar in an English school and it does help when learning a new language.

A nice quote from an teacher teaching older people Spanish, some of the pupils did not know what an adjective was.

She said you could not touch an adjective, because all other explanations failed.
She said " you cannot touch RED-BIG-ROUND ETC.

Then she asked the pupils for an adjective and one person said "THE SUN" because you cannot touch the sun. You would get burned and it is too far away.

Priceless.

JLFS
Old Aug 8th 2009, 6:56 am
¿Dónde estoy?

I was too - but not little tricks such as that one to help remember which preposition to use - it was more instinctive because we heard it every day

and I certainly didn't learn grammar in the depth that my two are learning it here in spain1
Old Aug 8th 2009, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

I was too - but not little tricks such as that one to help remember which preposition to use - it was more instinctive because we heard it every day

and I certainly didn't learn grammar in the depth that my two are learning it here in spain1
Aye, the little tricks were just add ons delivered by very good teachers.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

DebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond repute

My brother taught English at a High school (spanish children) for a whole year in Tenerife.
He has no teaching qualification (although he does have a Law degree ) but he fared better insofar as the children enjoyed his classes and seemed to learn more than with the resident English teacher who was spanish.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.