Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

knowing your subject & teaching it

knowing your subject & teaching it

Old Aug 7th 2009, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: knowing your subject & teaching it

Originally Posted by lynnxa
do you meanteaching ESOL in FE colleges in the UK?

the guy who mended our computer (that's what he's really qualified to do btw), did a one month internet TEFL course & did a year teaching in a language school in Denia (hated it)

he was the first to admit that it in no way qualified him to teach - he didn't find it so bad one-to-one - but given a group he freely admits that he was totally unprepared!
If he was unprepared, I'm not surprised he hated it. Yes I was referring to FE in the UK.

Talking of prepositions: I had an ESOL student who when I asked how she had arrived at college, said: "by leg."
Old Aug 7th 2009, 9:52 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montgomail
If he was unprepared, I'm not surprised he hated it. Yes I was referring to FE in the UK.

Talking of prepositions: I had an ESOL student who when I asked how she had arrived at college, said: "by leg."
thing is - he was officially 'qualified'

by leg
Old Aug 7th 2009, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

missbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud of

I'm not surpised!!!
Is it a real question or am i being completely thick
Old Aug 7th 2009, 10:07 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missbad
Is it a real question or am i being completely thick
it's a real question that I have been asked more than once while teaching English to foreigners

& there is a real answer - more than one actually, but they come down to the same thing!

I bet any spaniard who has studied English could answer it though - they do like to have grammar explained to them!
Old Aug 7th 2009, 10:10 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

it's a real question that I have been asked more than once while teaching English to foreigners

& there is a real answer - more than one actually, but they come down to the same thing!

I bet any spaniard who has studied English could answer it though - they do like to have grammar explained to them!
PLEASE MISS.......

I know the answer, anything that has a defined route as in train, bus, coach, ship etc the work used is ON

if there is not route, as in small fishing boat, private plane etc. the word is IN

I am right arent I?

cONGRATULATIONS, not a lot of English people know why.

I
Old Aug 7th 2009, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

missbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by me me
PLEASE MISS.......

I know the answer, anything that has a defined route as in train, bus, coach, ship etc the work used is ON

if there is not route, as in small fishing boat, private plane etc. the word is IN

I am right arent I?

I
Did you find the answer on google i did try lol xx
Old Aug 7th 2009, 10:17 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

PLEASE MISS.......

I am right arent I?

I

as in ON public transport but not private transport

I knew you'd know

you might have let a few more 'fluent' brits try first though

Originally Posted by missbad
Did you find the answer on google i did try lol xx
he knows because he studied english as a foreign language

am I right JLFS?
Old Aug 7th 2009, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Thing is, we don't actually need to know and it's the sort of thing you get taught as a young child and forget about. It's only foreign languages that we tend to over analyse.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 10:23 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

I knew you'd know

am I right JLFS?
YES, that is how I know, I had home tuition when I was about 8
and because I enjoyed the class and it was not a chore, I still remember, but I forgot the boring classes with boring teachers.

JLFS
Old Aug 7th 2009, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

YES, that is how I know, I had home tuition when I was about 8
and because I enjoyed the class and it was not a chore, I still remember, but I forgot the boring classes with boring teachers.

JLFS
Says it all, about how we learn.

Even the most mundane stuff can be retained if the teaching is good - I still recall the teacher telling us about double negatives.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 10:42 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Says it all, about how we learn.

Even the most mundane stuff can be retained if the teaching is good - I still recall the teacher telling us about double negatives.
Loads of double negatives in Italian. Is Spanish the same?

Italians find it very hard to grasp the present perfect.

I'm very careful about pronouncing conditionals properly when I teach. I don't want students asking me what "wunt - shunt and c..." mean.

I once gave some high school students a general knowledge quiz. One question in the 'science and nature' section was:

What is the hardest rock?

A lovely girl replied "heavy metal"
Old Aug 7th 2009, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

I was speaking with someone last week who told me that a hell of a lot of the teachers in the primary/secondary schools here in Spain are not actually qualified teachers. They are "licenciados" or "diplomados", but not necessarily in the subject that they teach, and usually haven't studied to be a teacher (not sure what the PGCE equivalent is in Spain).

Not sure how true this is, but it wouldn't surprise me.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

I knew you'd know

am I right JLFS?
Hey Lynnxa, you could turn this into a bit of a quiz thread and have a bit of fun. Pose a few basic grammar Qs to the "natives" and see what they know about their own language?
Old Aug 7th 2009, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Veleta
Hey Lynnxa, you could turn this into a bit of a quiz thread and have a bit of fun. Pose a few basic grammar Qs to the "natives" and see what they know about their own language?
Well i cant play then
Old Aug 7th 2009, 11:04 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Thing is, we don't actually need to know and it's the sort of thing you get taught as a young child and forget about. It's only foreign languages that we tend to over analyse.
you're right, of course

& tbh when I'm teaching spanish I try not to get too caught up in grammar simply because most of my (adult) students just about know a noun from a verb - that's nothing against them - more on the way we were taught in the UK (or not!), and the fact that if tehey were ever taught it they have now forgotten it, because they don't need to know it!

the kids in spain learn their own language with a huge emphasis on grammar - and expect to learn a foreign language the same way

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.