Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

know about wills????

know about wills????

Old Oct 7th 2009, 9:10 am
barxeta bliss,ohhhh

patsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud of
Default know about wills????

My friend grew up without her dad, he left her mum when they were small and he went on to remarry and have another daughter. well , she never ever saw her dad and he didnt pay anything for her support at all, like he had just forgotten her even though he only lived 10 miles fm her.
Now... thing is he died quite recently and his wife had also died last year leaving his daughter. he has left all his money to his daughter but what I am asking is.... can my friend contest the will? that he didnt support her when she was a child but in his death he could have remembered her, anybbody know anything about this?? grateful for any info
Old Oct 7th 2009, 9:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: know about wills????

Originally Posted by patsywhitehair
My friend grew up without her dad, he left her mum when they were small and he went on to remarry and have another daughter. well , she never ever saw her dad and he didnt pay anything for her support at all, like he had just forgotten her even though he only lived 10 miles fm her.
Now... thing is he died quite recently and his wife had also died last year leaving his daughter. he has left all his money to his daughter but what I am asking is.... can my friend contest the will? that he didnt support her when she was a child but in his death he could have remembered her, anybbody know anything about this?? grateful for any info

Is this all happening in the UK? Or Spain?
Old Oct 7th 2009, 9:23 am
barxeta bliss,ohhhh

patsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud of

uk, didnt know who else to ask for her benefit
Old Oct 7th 2009, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

No I am sorry to say that she cannot contest the Will
Old Oct 7th 2009, 11:58 am
barxeta bliss,ohhhh

thanks for getting back to me
Old Oct 7th 2009, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by SueG
No I am sorry to say that she cannot contest the Will
That is incorrect for the UK.

I can only suggest that the OP Googles and bring up relevant info that is out there or that her friend seeks advice from a solicitor who often offer the first half hour consultation free.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 3:45 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I can see, if it is a UK will, a child is one of those people who CAN contest a will.

What you certainly can do is apply for a caveat to the will (for almost any reason) which will delay the execution of the will for 6 months.

Time to go and see a lawyer.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 4:14 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Yes they can contest the will, unless they were adopted by the new parent thus giving them no claim on the estate of the real parent.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 4:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Yes they can contest the will, unless they were adopted by the new parent thus giving them no claim on the estate of the real parent.

Is it safe to assume the other daughter (step sister?) and your friend don't get along? Because just for clarification, if they did get along, and the other woman felt an injustice had been done to your friend, the executors could arrnage for a Deed of Variation to the Will to change it.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 4:48 pm
barxeta bliss,ohhhh

my friend had no contact whatsoever with her dad, he just got remarried and forgot her, think she feels that now he is dead and he left quite a bit of money that why shouldnt she (if she can) contest the will as during his life he contributed nothing to her at all, no xmas pressies, nothing...... does that sound unreasonable, maybe people will say dont bother but i say why not..
Old Oct 7th 2009, 6:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: know about wills????

Originally Posted by patsywhitehair
my friend had no contact whatsoever with her dad, he just got remarried and forgot her, think she feels that now he is dead and he left quite a bit of money that why shouldnt she (if she can) contest the will as during his life he contributed nothing to her at all, no xmas pressies, nothing...... does that sound unreasonable, maybe people will say dont bother but i say why not..
It is important to know who died first was it her dad or her step mom. If it was her dad and he left all to his second wife and then she dies and leaves it all to her daughter then she cannot contest the stepmoms will since she had no relationship to her. So she would have to contest her dads will which had already been executed uncontested a difficult one but what has she to loose. Solicitors are allowed now to do no win no fee but they would be expensive for this kind of thing so she needs to be clear before she starts down this road.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 8:42 pm
barxeta bliss,ohhhh

well her dads wife died first and then the dad died leaving the money to his and her daughter.
mind you he did leave a will to say first the money goes to the wife and then after that to his daughter...
Old Oct 8th 2009, 7:17 am
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Being in a similar situation to your friend i.e. absent father from the age of 6, absolutely no contact/support and also (at the age of 35) having traced him via a PD to Cyprus and my "father" denying I was his daughter, personally I wouldn't want a penny of his, in life or death.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
That is incorrect for the UK.

I can only suggest that the OP Googles and bring up relevant info that is out there or that her friend seeks advice from a solicitor who often offer the first half hour consultation free.
Ok so the answer should have been she can contest the Will but I doubt very much if she would have any success. She is now an adult - it would have been different if she had been a minor and dependent on him but he left a Will leaving to his wife and then to his second daughter (no-one is obliged to leave money to relatives if they chose not to do so)
Old Oct 8th 2009, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by SueG
Ok so the answer should have been she can contest the Will but I doubt very much if she would have any success. She is now an adult - it would have been different if she had been a minor and dependent on him but he left a Will leaving to his wife and then to his second daughter (no-one is obliged to leave money to relatives if they chose not to do so)
The fact that she is an adult is irrelevant, however if she is wealthy she should not bother but if not she can as can anyone contest her fathers will. One doesnt have to be an immediate family member to contest a will in the UK.

Therefore it goes without saying that although in theory one can leave their money to anyone, if others contest the will there is a chance ones wishes will not be followed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.